• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 davidwww

davidwww

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1881 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 03:04 PM

I have twigged on how to add several different variations of a prop to one prop item, e.g. like the rug prop which has different variations.
You set up your folders as normal and place your initial prop for example a wall in the folder, now for each variation of your wall name it some thing simple like wall_01, wall_02 etc and place these in the same folder, add the textures for each making sure each one is named similier to the walls, so its easier to assign then to the right prop.
Now once in the workshop find your wall add new template name it wall_01 and add the mesh and the textures and then save, now just add a new template again using the same prop following the same steps again, until you have all your walls, change the scaling options and add a tag then publish, now when you go into the set builder you will find only one wall prop but if you click on it all the different variation will show up in the lower right menu.

Regards
David

Moviestorm still Number One

#2 reptor7

reptor7

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1299 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 03:33 PM

Nice to know, David. Thanks!

#3 steelblade

steelblade

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 728 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 04:56 PM

Ya know, my horse prop did that, even though I DIDN'T do most of what you mentioned. 2 identical horses for the price of one. smile.gif

Still, there are some props I would like to gather together this way.

#4 davidwww

davidwww

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1881 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 05:06 AM

I have just realised if you are using the same model (like your horse) you can probably just add a new template each time useing the same model and just assign different textures to it, its only when you have slight variations in the model do you have to add them to the folder. ( I suppose every body already knew this and I'm just catching up :roll: )

Regards
David

Moviestorm still Number One

#5 tree

tree

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 927 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 06:08 PM

It's another Something i like about MS.

It made my alphabet soup addon look somewhat "good" with the bulk of the letters in a sub-directory. It's a pitty that the sub-directory isn't in alphabetical order... i really don't know what order it's in. Anybody know?

Prop placement in a MS SET will not change if you change the variation. So a simple looking prop can transform into something complex.
An example would be to make a house and only show the doors and windows in one variation. so it's easy to set up the interior prop placement and even the acting. Then when all that's done... the house can be fleshed in.

Something that i also like, because i don't know how to make animations of props yet, i can have open windows and doors in one variation, so i can get them to walk out the house and then have the doors closed after.

Variations are great in my book(s) ;-) ......