• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 05:44 PM

Tangent - to suddenly change from one course to another. Meet Jarret Barnett, an ordinary man, about to have an extraordinary day. Written by Themoviegoer14, produced and directed by Lucinda McNary, music by Chris Weeks (Kingbastard). Made with Moviestorm. Starring, James Matusek (cptdestroyer) Roger Burlong-Strange (rjb2112), Cruleworld, David Anderson (equinoxx), Lucinda McNary (lucindamc123), Danielle McNary. Music by Chris Weeks (Kingbastard).

http://www.moviestor...eServlet?id=170

#2 CPT Destroyer

CPT Destroyer

Master Director

• Banned
  • 343 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 08:12 PM

That's strange. I can't play it. When I try to play it on the Moviestorm site, it just doesn't start. When I downloaded it and tried to play it in Windows Media Player, I got this message - "Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file"

Am I the only one having this issue?

I really want to see this. I get the feeling the guy who did Jarret's voice did really good. laugh.gif

#3 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 09:24 PM

(CPT Destroyer)
That's strange. I can't play it. When I try to play it on the Moviestorm site, it just doesn't start. When I downloaded it and tried to play it in Windows Media Player, I got this message - "Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file"

Am I the only one having this issue?

I really want to see this. I get the feeling the guy who did Jarret's voice did really good. laugh.gif

Yes you did excellent as Jarret. Try this link with VEOH as it is running perfectly there.

http://www.veoh.com/...11110544EXFkSyh

I have the same problem with all Moviestorm movies. I can't view them here and when I download them I get the same message from WMV. However, to play it on WMV all you do is answer YES to the question it asks if it asks you if you want to play it anyway.

#4 CPT Destroyer

CPT Destroyer

Master Director

• Banned
  • 343 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 09:38 PM

I can see it on Veoh fine. I usually am able to hit "yes", but this time it didn't ask me if I wanted to play it anyway, it just stated that it couldn't be played. i didn't get an option to play it, the only option I got was to quit.

#5 CPT Destroyer

CPT Destroyer

Master Director

• Banned
  • 343 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 09:54 PM

I just finished watching it. I liked it a lot! The set design was very well done!

Very nicely made! The music fit well. Overall, it was a really good movie!

#6 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 02:02 AM

Well thank you. And here is another link to the movie on my website which is

http://lucindamc123.com/tangent.wmv

And I have reuploaded the movie here and it now downloads correctly with the entire file. Although the file was present on the server, for some reason it would not download at all.

http://www.moviestor...eServlet?id=170

#7 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 02:10 AM

Well thank you. And here is another link to the movie on my website which is

http://lucindamc123.com/tangent.wmv

Make sure you download it instead of just opening it into WMP because it might not get the whole file if you just open the file.

#8 DavidB

DavidB

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 793 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 11:30 PM

wonderful
David J W Bailey ACA MA MSc GIBiol MInstD

blog.david.bailey.net www.twitter.com/davidjwbailey www.flickr.com/people/davidjwbailey

#9 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 05:25 AM

(DavidB)
wonderful

Thank you so much. I know people have been watching but no one has commented yet but CPtDESTROYER. So I appreciate all the comments we can get. I know it is a shocking story but the subject matter is difficult - doing something evil for the greater good and yet all of us do this kind of thing in non violent ways everyday. We lie because we don't want to hurt someone. We might hate our job or our kids teacher, but we would never say it. But lying is wrong, evil!

Anyway for those of you who have problems watching or downloading a 14 minute movie, I have uploaded a trailer here:

http://www.moviestor...&downloadId=143

#10 Melopee

Melopee

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 266 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 10:30 AM

I enjoyed it, really great sets lucindamc123, by the way how you get it done? Can you initiate me to your box of tricks? :wink:
One alone does not help but
rather he who unites with many
others at the right moment.

Goethe

#11 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 01:12 PM

(Melopee)
I enjoyed it, really great sets lucindamc123, by the way how you get it done? Can you initiate me to your box of tricks? :wink:

Of course I can tell you how to do this. That is what this is all about. Most of the sets are done with simple backdrops. I either paint images or use the photos my husband and I have taken or get them from Morguefile or Flickr and I make sure that I read the creative commons license on the photos I get on the web. That is why I had so many photo credits at the end of the movie.

To put an image on a backdrop, you take the simple backdrop and just drop your image onto the simple backdrop. I also use simple objects and do the same thing. I have altered the simple objects in the modders workshop to allow them to take an image. I use the previous version of Moviestorm that had the modders workshop to alter the simple objects to take images. A lot of the buildings are made with photographs applied to simple objects and then the objects resized.

The city scene was made by altering the cars and other objects so that they can be rescaled. The skyscrapers were made by applying images to the rectangular box. I had to make sure that I put the image I used in photoshop and rotated and cropped it so that it looked nice and square.

When the modder's workshop comes back which will be very soon I believe you will be able to do this too. Also other objects will attach to the backdrops and depending upon the angle of the backdrop you can get a prop chair or other object to look like it is in a room that is actually a backdrop. The living room scene for Jarret and his wife is actually a couple of different backdrops from different images of the same rooms in an old hotel at different angles.

The full scale city scene where Jarret is walking is made with backdrops for the most part and images applied to simple objects. Even the scene that you first see before you see Jarret walking with the police car in it is a couple of different backdrops - one of the police station, another one of the police car, a street scene between the two buildings, etc.

Because of the detail we have with this program and the high resolution, the images have a lot of depth and look quite realistic.

The crowd scenes like in the bank are easier to do than you think. Since the more people you have in a scene, the longer it takes to render, I make different shots of the people doing different things and keep the scenes to less than 60 seconds.

#12 Tacoshack27

Tacoshack27

Novice director

• Pioneers
  • 54 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 01:15 PM

Very well done. I really liked the set design, especially the church at the end. Nicely written and well acted. You should release the soundtrack to the movie.

I thought the editing was a little choppy in a few areas and a some cross fadings could have been used to move from one scene to another especially during the opening shots during the opening credits, I thought that may have had the beginning flow a little smoother.

Overall I did really enjoy the movie. All of you should give yourself a pat on the back for a job well done. Good work everyone! Now what is your next project going to be ? wink.gif

Mike aka tacoshack27

#13 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 05:28 PM

(Tacoshack27)
Very well done. I really liked the set design, especially the church at the end. Nicely written and well acted. You should release the soundtrack to the movie.

I thought the editing was a little choppy in a few areas and a some cross fadings could have been used to move from one scene to another especially during the opening shots during the opening credits, I thought that may have had the beginning flow a little smoother.

Overall I did really enjoy the movie. All of you should give yourself a pat on the back for a job well done. Good work everyone! Now what is your next project going to be ? wink.gif

Mike aka tacoshack27

Chris Weeks songs for this movie were for the most part from his new work which hasn't been released yet as a CD. However, if you go to his website which is http://www.myspace.com/acousticbastard you can download these songs and a few more.

His older music is at: http://www.myspace.com/kingbastard

Please drop by his sites and tell him how much you like his music.

As for the editing, did you mean between scenes or within scenes? Because between scenes I don't like transitions other than showing a scene of the city or town views or the front of a building. If you mean between scenes - a lot of these I had to do in small bits because of the problem with rendering time when you go above 60 seconds and some of the scenes were done with the older beta version where I designed all the BIG sets. Unfortunately, I can't use the large sets I designed in beta 1.4 in Beta 2.0. I have to rebuild them. Which I will. So for now when I go back to shoot a scene on one of those sets, I still use Beta 1.4 which has really slow rendering time - for instance 60 seconds on my version of beta 1.4 is a couple of hours whereas on Beta 2.0, it is about 30 minutes or less.

But I could have rebuilt everything and used only Beta 2.0 but it would have taken just too much time and I wanted to make the European Film Festival deadline.

The church at the end was a backdrop.

#14 FLeeF

FLeeF

Critically acclaimed

• Pioneers
  • 188 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 08:58 AM

Congratulations to the Moviestorm team for finishing the project! It worked out well. Way to go!
The forecast is - MOVIESTORM!
www.FlingFilms.com My system: WinXP SP2, DirectX 9.0c -- Intel Core2 Duo 2.44GHz processor -- 2GB RAM -- nVidia GEForce 8800 GTS w/620MB

#15 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 10:09 PM

(FLeeF)
Congratulations to the Moviestorm team for finishing the project! It worked out well. Way to go!

Thanks a lot Fleef! It has been entered into the European Machinima Festival. I do have a 692 MG version on my own website if anyone has a a very fast DSL and wants to download it. That is because the version they want at the film festival needs to be an MPG2 with a resolution of 720/480. The strange thing is that when I compiled it with Pinnacle it was amazingly fast - about 4 times as fast as making the WMV version that was only 76 MG. The full screen resolution is really nice though.

#16 StoryOfSelena

StoryOfSelena

Novice director

• Pioneers
  • 72 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 01:48 AM

Good job everyone. The ending surprised me in a good way. I was also surprised to see all the custom work you put into the film. Good job.
Story of Selena Videos:
www.youtube.com/storyofselena

#17 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 01:13 PM

(storyofselena)
Good job everyone. The ending surprised me in a good way. I was also surprised to see all the custom work you put into the film. Good job.

Thanks so much. Yes I like doing custom sets and props. I always want the movies I produce to look original. I am an artist and have been since I could crawl and I have always been that way about my artwork.

#18 Fulkster

Fulkster

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 2292 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 05:51 PM

I enjoyed the movie and everyone's work! Thanks!
The next big thing: MOVIESTORM!

See my most recent movie: "Athena Project: Chapter 2 (Down the Rabbit-hole)"
http://www.moviestor...p;vid_id=102329

(Soon, "Athena Project 3: The Laws Of Robotics"

Moddingstorm! Cool Mods!

#19 ann garner

ann garner

Novice director

• Pioneers
  • 73 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 07:36 PM

Very cool smile.gif
Ann Garner
Short Fuze Director of Marketing

#20 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 03:41 PM

Thanks a lot for watching everyone. Although as far as I know TANGENT was not nominated at Machinima Europe, I am not sure that the application was accepted or they even watched the movie. With the short deadline I had, I thought I had everything in correctly but I have not had any replies to my messages to them. So although a disappoinment, it does not mean that the movie was not good, because it is and I am proud of everyone who helped out on this project.