• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 davidwww

davidwww

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1881 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 12:19 AM

So here it is after a long long time in the making, I have finally finished my latest movie, I can't remember how many times it had to be re-rendered out of Moviestorm but now its done. I have poured a lot of effort into this movie and I would like to know what you all think of it.
http://www.moviestor...eServlet?id=512

Regards
Davidwww

P.S. Thank you to Kristine Browne, Phil Browne, Frank Fox and Goofparade for their wonderful work on this production.

Moviestorm still Number One

#2 Spong3y

Spong3y

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 493 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 06:21 AM

Very amazingly well done movie, davidwww! You know, that made me wonder where people go after death. Nice special effects, such as the fiery background and abaddon's fiery eyes.

This seems to be the best you've done so far. Nice job!
[witty signature pending]

#3 Dick Swayze

Dick Swayze

Critically acclaimed

• Pioneers
  • 203 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 10:46 AM

Loved honestly loved it, nice use of special effects and language tongue.gif

#4 AngriBuddhist

AngriBuddhist

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 2074 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 11:08 AM

Great job David. The writing and voice acting are two things that immediately jump out at me. All the special FX in the world won't carry a movie without them. Congrats to you and your actors.

One thing though, and it's more my own personal taste, but I really prefer watching films in a widescreen format. Could be that I'm just spoiled by my 60" WS HDTV though.

#5 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 11:14 AM

Nice work, congratulations.
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#6 johnnie

johnnie

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 860 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 11:36 AM

There's obviously a lot of work gone into this. Well done! I loved your compositing work in particular.
Johnnie Ingram
Co-Author, Machinima For Dummies

QUOTE (The Overcast @ July 23 2006)

#7 mrjoyce

mrjoyce

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 586 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 03:46 PM

Very well done. Worth the time and effort. Great use of MS and FXHome. I really enjoy watching films from the Pioneer group. Looking forward to seeing more of your work.
"The enemy of art is the absence of limitations" - Orson Welles

Pineapple Pictures
http://pinechunks.blogspot.com/

#8 BiggsTrek

BiggsTrek

Novice director

• Pioneers
  • 55 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 04:04 PM

On behalf of my wife and I: WELL DONE!

smile.gif

#9 kkffoo

kkffoo

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 3288 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 04:27 PM

That was a great story, enjoyed watching..thought provoking too.

#10 Synnah

Synnah

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 410 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 04:49 PM

Seconded! I'll think twice before using a gun to solve divorce disputes in future.

Really well done, though!
---------------------------
Short Fuze QA bloke

#11 saument

saument

Director

• Pioneers
  • 114 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 05:00 PM

Excellent work, David! I especially liked some of the camera work. The searching camera in the opening and the subtle pull back when Abaddon is about to stand up. Lots of things to commend here, but others have done so already. Great job.
=================================
Stephen Aument
Jeslync Pictures

#12 febe films

febe films

Critically acclaimed

• Pioneers
  • 190 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 05:14 PM

NOTE TO VIEWERS: Heed the warning at the beginning - you probably shouldn't watch this at work, unless you have on headphones! smile.gif

I'm really excited to see this, David. I'll have to wait until I get home tonight, though...

EDIT: Finally got to watch it - great work!! (And turns out I should have kept watching earlier; I was past the "not with your door open" moments...)

I've gotta echo what others have said - very well done and worth the time and effort you obviously put into it. An interesting and thought-provoking premise, too.

#13 equinoxx

equinoxx

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 916 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 12:22 AM

Nicely done! A good script, well executed. I applaud you (and your collaborators), sir!
David "equinoxx" Anderson
http://www.veoh.com/...els/equinoxxent

#14 davidwww

davidwww

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1881 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 02:18 AM

I am so pleased that you have all enjoyed this movie, I really worked hard on this one, trying to squeeze out as much emotion from the limited MS gestures was quite hard (well for me it was) and I really had to think a long time over, how I was going to show the characters frozen when JC turned up and having so many subtle gestures on the time line slowed my computer down to a crawl at times it made it almost impossible to work and because of the slow downs, I kept finding things I wasn't happy with once it had be rendered that I would have to change it and then re-render it again to check the results but in the end it came out quite well.
After Life came about because I wanted to show people that I don't just make strange comedy flicks like Zombie Domestica or What Ever Happened to Storm Starr and hopefully when we get some more weapons I will be making another movie called The Interrogation (working title) which is an extended story from one of my earlier movies made with The Movies.

Regards
David

#15 AngriBuddhist

AngriBuddhist

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 2074 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 05:39 AM

David, I have a reasonably nice PC setup with some slow(ish) RAM and have the same problems with massive slowdown. Unlike you though, I can't stand rendering, examining, going back and fixing, and then doing it all over again.

I've practically stopped using MS and am just writing a script until I can afford to by a new motherboard and add more RAM.

#16 FLeeF

FLeeF

Critically acclaimed

• Pioneers
  • 188 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 11:05 AM

Excellent work, David! I really like this cut, and had fun on your project. Thanks for having me in it (and not killing me off this time... although, technically, I was already dead) smile.gif.
The forecast is - MOVIESTORM!
www.FlingFilms.com My system: WinXP SP2, DirectX 9.0c -- Intel Core2 Duo 2.44GHz processor -- 2GB RAM -- nVidia GEForce 8800 GTS w/620MB

#17 davidwww

davidwww

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1881 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 02:17 PM

(FLeeF)
Excellent work, David! I really like this cut, and had fun on your project. Thanks for having me in it (and not killing me off this time... although, technically, I was already dead) smile.gif.

Yes but you were the boss :twisted:

(AngriBuddhist)
David, I have a reasonably nice PC setup with some slow(ish) RAM and have the same problems with massive slowdown. Unlike you though, I can't stand rendering, examining, going back and fixing, and then doing it all over again.

I've practically stopped using MS and am just writing a script until I can afford to by a new motherboard and add more RAM.

I know what you mean, its a pain when it slows right down, but I was determined to get as much emotion out of the gestures as I could and every time a rendered scene showed up some thing I would almost not do it over but I did, and thanks to some sound advice from Fleef and Goofparade I got to make extra scenes to add to the movie thanks guys:x
but seriously their helpful suggestions went a long way to making the whole movie that much better.:mrgreen:

Regards
David

#18 Roger

Roger

Novice director

• Pioneers
  • 55 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 09:37 PM

The best film I have seen on Moviestorm so far.

Moviestorm is really coming together nicely now.

#19 Melopee

Melopee

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 266 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 04:23 PM

You managed to create a really strong movie, David. I think this is one of your top movies I have seen so far! Excellent work!
:thumbup:

#20 davidwww

davidwww

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1881 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 05:19 PM

I entered After Life into the Bitfilm Festival but I just received an email saying it didn't get selected for the voting stage and to try again next year :cry: Oh well, hopefully next year I can make some thing that will be good enough to be selected.

Regards
David