• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 bongoman

bongoman

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 767 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 12:52 AM

I've tried to add to the collection of wall coverings with jpg files in the appropriate directories starting with the word 'Wall_..." and 'Floor_..." respectively, but they don't show up in the wall or floor textures menu.
The Material file probably holds a list of the files, right?
can I add my own texs somehow?
Thanks

#2 kkffoo

kkffoo

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 3286 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 10:34 AM

B'man we're missing a bit of the program at the moment that's required to load mods, I'm looking forward to the upgrade, it should be with the beta testers ?soon?
I'm sure the team will correct me if I'm wrong but if it is too simple to load / extract mods then people could buy one add on pack and share it with all their friends, and as MS is free in it's basic form that wouldn't make for a sustainable business plan.
As I understand it, we'll be able to mod our own sets and props to our hearts content, but there will need to be some sort of coding to control how things are shared...hence the complications & not being able to add new recolours simply by putting textures into files.
I think this won't get in the way of us choosing to share our own created assets for free, but I'm not 100% about that.
I'm sure someone will correct me if I've totally misunderstood.

#3 bongoman

bongoman

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 767 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 12:40 PM

Ah I see, thanks kkffoo. I think I'll see if I can customize the existing ones.
smile.gif

#4 twak

twak

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 254 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 01:49 PM

That'll probably work bongoman, else you can try editing the materials.materials file of an existing folder in a text editor. Each section between the tags and represents wall/floor covering. You can get a pretty good idea of how it works by examining what's already there.
-- twak

#5 bongoman

bongoman

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 767 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 01:53 PM

(twak)
That'll probably work bongoman, else you can try editing the materials.materials file of an existing folder in a text editor. Each section between the tags and represents wall/floor covering. You can get a pretty good idea of how it works by examining what's already there.

GREAT, thanks a lot Twak. I'll have a go at it this afternoon. smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

#6 kkffoo

kkffoo

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 3286 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 02:46 PM

:mrgreen: sounds like I hadn't understood that one at all B'man, sorry for leading you up the wrong path.

#7 bongoman

bongoman

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 767 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 03:16 PM

(kkffoo)
:mrgreen: sounds like I hadn't understood that one at all B'man, sorry for leading you up the wrong path.

You had that right Kkffoo, the 'materials.materials file will serve as a summary of what's in the respective folder, telling the program what's available... i just have to add the tex names to that list as well as having the materials in that folder.
The materials list file probably speeds up the loading process, as the software only has to examine the materials file per folder or category instead of having to scan the contents of each folder.
Thanks a lot for your input.

#8 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 04:25 PM

(bongoman)
(kkffoo)

You had that right Kkffoo, the 'materials.materials file will serve as a summary of what's in the respective folder, telling the program what's available... i just have to add the tex names to that list as well as having the materials in that folder.
The materials list file probably speeds up the loading process, as the software only has to examine the materials file per folder or category instead of having to scan the contents of each folder.
Thanks a lot for your input.

Hum, you have given me ideas about how to add different materials to the simple props. I am the one who miniaturized everything and made a mini city. But it wouldn't take the materials option in the modders workshop. I added it but it still won't let you paint a simple prop.

#9 bongoman

bongoman

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 767 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 06:40 PM

Cool, Lucindamc, I haven't seen the modders workshop yet, I couldn't make use of 1.4... but I'm having fun with the software now. Minicity? Why, I got one too...wink.gif

Now, I've got a new item in the materials list, but it's not showing up, it's giving me the 'broken' icon in the wall tex browser, I have 1 thing left to try then I'm out of ideas - they're currently DXT1's, I'll try DXT3 or 5.

#10 kkffoo

kkffoo

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 3286 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 06:50 PM

It is a lot easier with the modder's workshop. I'm using a lot of chromakey at the moment where I could use modded MS props etc. it's being revamped..any time scale on having this back guys?