Photo

How many modders who don't want their mods in commercial products?

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#61 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5364 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 08:15 PM

QUOTE (lucindamc123 @ Feb 11 2011, 05:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You are all young ...

I'm not.

"If we only use 1/3 of our brain, what's the other 1/3 for?"

#62 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 08:16 PM

QUOTE (primaveranz @ Feb 10 2011, 02:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm not.

So you don't need to give up your dreams either. I am not young. I am probably the oldest person using Moviestorm.

#63 kkffoo

kkffoo

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 3285 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 08:53 AM

This is getting seriously off-topic!
When i asked for a sticky I really meant just the moviestorms post in a new locked thread by itself. I don't think anyone will find the info in this discussion

#64 iceaxe

iceaxe

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1193 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 09:05 AM

No. But history will show that I was right when I'm found homeless and destitute in a gutter somewhere.

Of course, history will probably have a go at Prima first - his clock is ticking.

tongue.gif

#65 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 02:28 PM

I started a new forum topic about this since someone objected to us being off topic here:

http://www.moviestor...p...c=10619&hl=

#66 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5364 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 11:14 PM

QUOTE (iceaxe @ Feb 11 2011, 08:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Of course, history will probably have a go at Prima first - his clock is ticking.

At least there is always someone to keep winding mine up laugh.gif wink.gif

"If we only use 1/3 of our brain, what's the other 1/3 for?"

#67 corthew

corthew

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 2357 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 01:51 AM

QUOTE (lucindamc123 @ Feb 5 2011, 08:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh they want credit

QUOTE (primaveranz @ Feb 5 2011, 11:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
the majority of modders here don't care too much

I'm so confused!!! ohmy.gif huh.gif unsure.gif blink.gif

wink.gif
Sango: "If it was really a miracle everyone would have been saved."

Vargas: "But if everyone was saved how would anyone know it was a miracle."

Sango and Vargas arguing over the implications of one person surviving an unexpectedly active tidal season.

#68 corthew

corthew

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 2357 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 02:31 AM

QUOTE (kkffoo @ Feb 6 2011, 11:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What you are asking is clearly impossible.

Its certainly impossible to know who modded an item if they didn't sign the mod.
But for those who want the attention they do a great job of identifying themselves in their work so it's not impossible to recognize them.
You can hover your mouse over each asset used in a shot, (there is that slider of assets at the bottom in the workshop view section that pops up when you click the "add objects to the set" button), and in the tags the creator's of the mods should have their names placed there, hopefully the way they would like to be credited.
If nothing like that is there I assume its a moviestorm item and there permission is already given.
Its really the only way to tell who created it once you've installed the mod.
DavidWWW, PapaG, KV and Nahton all do this.
Lucinda places TMG in the tags for some of hers.
If I did not know this from research on what the hell TMG was, I would not be able to tell who TMG was and would likely credit her work to TMG if I ever get my movies going past the music I have for it.

So yes, it is possible if the modders make it possible by simply taging their work with the desired credit name.

Studios employ people to keep track of assets, and even they only credit certain things. With machinima the whole world is created.

They credit individuals if their work was freelance or independently contracted. Otherwise they credit the companies that were commissioned to have the work done by its employees rather than each individual employee.

Imagine a studio having to credit the makers of each paving slab in a street scene.

That's silly. They'd credit, (and do), the city that allowed them to film on that street.
The workers employed by the city to build the street would fall under that single credit.
However, if they had to have a set designed that needed a special Italian designer to recreate a specific Milan street corner for example, he would be credited.

If the person wants credited then by all means credit them. The credits go at the end and are only really there for people to whom the information is important.

Sango and Vargas arguing over the implications of one person surviving an unexpectedly active tidal season.

#69 kkffoo

kkffoo

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 3285 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 09:06 AM

Corthew, I'm not sure what you think is silly?
You seem to be pretty much saying what I was saying.
Film companies don't normally credit individual assets.

The tagging idea is a good one, if not for credits at least for remembering where to go back to get more mods from the same creator.

#70 corthew

corthew

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 2357 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 12:03 PM

QUOTE (kkffoo @ Feb 13 2011, 04:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Corthew, I'm not sure what you think is silly?

It was the part where you said:

"Imagine a studio having to credit the makers of each paving slab in a street scene."

You wouldn't have a separate credit for each individual slab unless each individual slab was created individually by separate freelance artists who were not being paid by, in this case, MovieStorm.

That's the thing though...Modders are freelance. Any movie would need to credit each freelance artist or worker and they do this.

And if its a full length movie you should have an awesome ending score that provides plenty of room for credits.smile.gif

Although as I'm writing this, I just had an idea for a video short that has some fun with the idea of credits always being at the end or beginning.smile.gif

#71 kkffoo

kkffoo

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 3285 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 12:27 PM

Are you a modder, or a film maker, or a bit of both Corthew? I'm not sure where you are coming from.

#72 corthew

corthew

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 2357 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 12:45 PM

QUOTE (kkffoo @ Feb 13 2011, 07:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Are you a modder, or a film maker, or a bit of both Corthew? I'm not sure where you are coming from.

Film maker but the argument isn't about either. Its about appreciation for the work others did. I wouldn't probably do extensive credits for a 15 minute video or any credits at all for a music video. The short time factor would make credits unrealistic. (and I've never seen anyone else do them professionally or otherwise).

But for a full length movie, absolutely.

*note: from rereading this it could be interpreted that I am a professional. I'm not. But I don't know a way to reword this to make my point that won't sound like that. smile.gif

#73 kkffoo

kkffoo

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 3285 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 01:44 PM

I think it is a balancing act for sure.

#74 PapaG

PapaG

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 864 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 10:14 PM

Go a head and use any of my mods the way you see fit

Gerald Lang

papag.jpg

I am around occasionally

#75 decorgal

decorgal

Film Critic

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 04:02 PM

I know this is an older thread but just wanted to put my 2 cents in. I come from a Sims 2 machinima background. The great thing about Sims 2 is that there are TONS of cc and mods available. I have almost 10 GBs of that stuff in my game. Yeah. Gigs, not megs and yes I'm a download whore. I know MS doesn't have that much stuff available but I do hope, one day, to have a lot more stuff to download for my program. I think if I had to keep track of where I got everything and credit them in my movies, I'd give up on making anything, not to mention my credits would be longer than the movie. Also, one of the reasons why I decided to move to Moviestorm was because of the EULA and all the licensing/ownership issues. The fact that MS has such a great EULA is great just for peace of mind. I think it'd be a shame for mod creators to place requirements and restrictions to limit that.
Now casting for adult male voices. Please let me know if you're interested. Accents of any kind are ok.

#76 willshetterly

willshetterly

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1356 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 05:57 PM

I'm with the folks who think credit for a mod is nice, especially if it's for something that's really important in the movie, but it's not necessary. When I saw a mod of mine used and not credited, I wasn't annoyed--I was pleased that it was being used.

The solution I would suggest is that if a movie turns out to be commercial, make a web site or a blog post for it and credit everyone you can there. Then, if you realize you forgot people, it's easy to add them.

#77 jaydenkurteckford

jaydenkurteckford

Moviegoer

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 10:00 AM

andy price, im making a horror film, its about four teens that go into the woods for a weekend camp but get kidnapt and torterd, i need some toture props.

im not too good at making them :/ so please please make some toture props for me, oh and dont worry your name will be as the prop desiner in the credits_reply if your interessed it will be about fifty minutes long.
oh yeah, you dont have too but if you want you can speak one of the peoples voices if you like:)

my email: jayden_eckford@hotmail.com

please help!
thank you for your time.

to: andy.

Attached Files

#78 andy_price

andy_price

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 986 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 01:52 PM

I do believe that there are already some horror and tourter props already made, cant remember who made them.

forumsig.png

#79 alexanders7

alexanders7

Moviegoer

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:eLearning, film making, VR

Posted 04 June 2018 - 03:19 PM

Just as an update folks Creative Commons CC0 does not require attribution at all.https://wiki.creativ..._attribution.3F