66 replies to this topic

#21 Harb40

Harb40

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 655 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 09:30 PM

QUOTE (mystery_egypt @ Oct 2 2013, 3:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
(maybe your computer is scared of the Tyrannosaurus though wink.gif )

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
The Harb40 Passion Competition now has it's own website.

#22 ArthurVKuhrmeier

ArthurVKuhrmeier

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 492 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 11:12 PM

QUOTE (flashman @ Oct 1 2013, 5:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Since Moviestorm launched, we have provided a hosting service for your movies. Back when we started, YouTube was in its infancy and video on the internet was a novelty. Nowadays YouTube (and other sites such as Vimeo) do a far better job of hosting videos than we can, and the server hosting our videos is reaching its end of life and requiring progressively more maintenance.

Hi Andrew,

sometimes changes are inevitable. I can understand your decision. I know setting up a video hosting is a major task. And even though you sell an animation app video hosting is not your major goal -- unless it's a paid service.

I never was quite happy with the quality of the MS videos, as you said, nowadays YouTube and vimeo do a better job. And I don't really understand what others mean by "not very machinima friendly". You can upload your videos -- end of story. YouTube is the most successful and in a sense the "garbage collection", vimeo is more art related, and not only free but also a paid service.

I think your major concern should be how to keep a showcase for the Moviestorm users. Maybe you keep the basic functionality but instead of uploading a file the user can enter the URL of the video, whether YouTube, vimeo, tmunderground, or else. It is not about uploading your video somewhere, but about getting feedback. If you'd do it like that we could still present our work to other Moviestormers and be praised wink.gif or receive tips and tricks.

Love and success,
Arthur smile.gif

#23 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 11:48 PM

I have always liked the movie hosting page here on Moviestorm and I believe they should keep it active and everything we users can do to help them do this would be great.

#24 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5257 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 01:22 AM

QUOTE (ArthurVKuhrmeier @ Oct 3 2013, 11:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I never was quite happy with the quality of the MS videos, as you said, nowadays YouTube and vimeo do a better job.

But do they allow you to upload webm formats? I know when MS first adopted it I couldn't use it on Vimeo.

"If we only use 1/3 of our brain, what's the other 1/3 for?"

#25 Daveman

Daveman

Critically acclaimed

• Members
  • 197 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 02:01 AM

QUOTE (flashman @ Oct 2 2013, 10:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I like the idea of putting the tutorials in the Start screen, especially if they could all sit there in a carousel.
Personally, I have not watched a movie via that interface, so it is interesting that some do. We will need to consider the impact of losing the movie server across many areas, not least the amount of embedded movies strewn around the website. Thanks for your pro-active ideas.

I was just thinking - simply have a Movie page with categories (Drama, SciFi, Comedy, etc) - that allows Embedding of YouTube and Vimeo videos. You keep the Moviestorm movie pages and no strain on your servers. Curiosity seekers that stumble in will naturally check into Moviestorm.

I'm not sure how much trouble it would be for you to do this, but it seems to me like an awesome compromise.

~ Dave

#26 sosberg

sosberg

Master Director

• Members
  • 307 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 06:36 AM

I'll be sad to see it go, sad.gif though there are other options smile.gif
I would like to see us get this place right first before we have the arrogance to put significantly flawed civilizations out onto other planets, even though they may be utterly uninhabited.
--PATRICK STEWART--

#27 Ichikaidan

Ichikaidan

Critically acclaimed

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 09:37 AM

Dear Andrew,

The more i think about it more alternatives are mentioned here by users. It doesn't have to end.
Can't you see you are blackening up your own shop windows this way?
And also destroying the calling cards of many artists? With no replacement?
Personally, i prefer to share my work on smaller but more content focused sites like here...

I think that Staff really should reconsider opening up a new cloud based movies hosting server from january 1 next year.
A central movie hosting page, possibly with separate pages for the colleges would be best option in my mind.
Or as Arthur suggested where you can add links to embedded material on other sites.
This would be easier on server payload .
So, new work and tutorials can continue to be shown and thus allow moviestorm
to remain a focused presence on the internet instead of forcing users to scatter all over the web.
One that caters flashless movies, perhaps?
Certainly if money is n't the problem.

As i see it Movie Hosting Services belong to Moviestorm just as much as ice-creams are part of a sunny day on the beach.

I hope a constructive outcome will follow.
Creating situations and learning to see.

#28 kkffoo

kkffoo

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 3273 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 10:54 AM

I think we have to leave it to the CEO to decided his priorities. We (as far as I know) haven't seen many school's projects appearing in the movie section...I imagine those movies are just for viewing within the classroom.
So with limited resources what Andrew is doing makes sense for his core business model (education)
There are always ebbs and flows within net communities, but there is a lot of life outside the MS site, and many movie makers using Moviestorm who never visit here for various reasons.
Bringing communities together can enhance not only individuals, but the world of machinima as a whole.
We are already scattered.
The Moviestorm forum is a small island in a Machinima ocean.
Let's use this event as an opportunity to hop an ferry and take some trips to others ports. We can always hop back, the journey time is short.

#29 sosberg

sosberg

Master Director

• Members
  • 307 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 11:46 AM

Well put! your right it doesn't have to end here smile.gif
I would like to see us get this place right first before we have the arrogance to put significantly flawed civilizations out onto other planets, even though they may be utterly uninhabited.
--PATRICK STEWART--

#30 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 11:50 AM

QUOTE (primaveranz @ Oct 3 2013, 1:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But do they allow you to upload webm formats? I know when MS first adopted it I couldn't use it on Vimeo.

I'm not sure about Vimeo, but YouTube does encode its videos in WebM.
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#31 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 12:10 PM

Please don't remove the Movie Hosting or if you have to create a website online where we can upload our movies and it will still be part of Moviestorm. This is really important for the future of the software that the movies are online. I will be happy to donate money to help you out and I am sure a lot of the others here would do the same thing.

#32 Daveman

Daveman

Critically acclaimed

• Members
  • 197 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 01:39 PM

QUOTE (kkffoo @ Oct 3 2013, 10:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think we have to leave it to the CEO to decided his priorities. We (as far as I know) haven't seen many school's projects appearing in the movie section...I imagine those movies are just for viewing within the classroom.
So with limited resources what Andrew is doing makes sense for his core business model (education)
There are always ebbs and flows within net communities, but there is a lot of life outside the MS site, and many movie makers using Moviestorm who never visit here for various reasons.
Bringing communities together can enhance not only individuals, but the world of machinima as a whole.
We are already scattered.
The Moviestorm forum is a small island in a Machinima ocean.
Let's use this event as an opportunity to hop an ferry and take some trips to others ports. We can always hop back, the journey time is short.

After all is said and done, I will always respect the final decision. I am just glad we were alerted ahead of time. So many websites have just simply pulled features without warning. Years ago I was dabbling in game design and the main guy just shut everything down - EVERYTHING down - without notice, without consideration.
So yeah I am grateful for the heads up before taking down the video hosting. My respect for him and everyone remains in tact. :-)

#33 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:41 PM

Here is the link to the videos page on Moviestorm's Facebook page so they could just put the movies there or allow us to upload there:

https://www.facebook.......4544&type=2

#34 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:16 PM

You can upload your movies to my Favorite Moviestorm Movies page on Facebook. Here is the link to the videos section.

https://www.facebook...3258700/photos/

I am pretty sure that anyone who is a member of this page can upload movies as another person,John Gedron uploaded one himself. But if you find you can't do it. If you have a site where I can download it, I will upload the movie there. They upload great. I uploaded WMV version as I don't know if they use Webm on Facebook but I will find out. That would be great.

#35 flashman

flashman

Novice director

• Staff
  • 73 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 01:02 PM

Thank you all again or your kind and considered words. We will be doing what we can to continue to support the sharing of your movies and mutual support you provide to each other as filmmakers. There may be options out there that would be a good fit for us going forward.
In the meantime, if you do have a movie you would like featured please post the links (not Moviestorm server links of course) on the 'Now Showing' forum, and we will look at providing a better service at featuring the movies you make through the website. Feedback from yourselves to the Director can be supported within the forum.
Andrew Kennedy
MD, Moviestorm Ltd.

#36 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 02:29 PM

QUOTE (flashman @ Oct 8 2013, 7:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thank you all again or your kind and considered words. We will be doing what we can to continue to support the sharing of your movies and mutual support you provide to each other as filmmakers. There may be options out there that would be a good fit for us going forward.
In the meantime, if you do have a movie you would like featured please post the links (not Moviestorm server links of course) on the 'Now Showing' forum, and we will look at providing a better service at featuring the movies you make through the website. Feedback from yourselves to the Director can be supported within the forum.

Does this mean you are going to find a way to have Moviestorm movies here on the website even if you can't use your servers? For instance, starting another website that uses servers from a different company,the way I did with Favoritemoviestormmovies.com?

#37 flashman

flashman

Novice director

• Staff
  • 73 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 02:41 PM

QUOTE (lucindamc123 @ Oct 8 2013, 2:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Does this mean you are going to find a way to have Moviestorm movies here on the website even if you can't use your servers? For instance, starting another website that uses servers from a different company,the way I did with Favoritemoviestormmovies.com?

Hello Lucinda
We will do what we can, as soon as we are able to.
In the meantime, if anyone is releasing a new movie, please tell us about it in the 'Now Showing' forum, and we will do what we can to promote it. Please also feel free to email me directly andrewkennedy@moviestorm.net, and I will try and make sure nothing gets missed. We are very busy, so with the best will in the world, we will do what we can, when we can.
Thanks,
Andrew
Andrew Kennedy
MD, Moviestorm Ltd.

#38 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 03:16 PM

QUOTE (flashman @ Oct 8 2013, 8:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello Lucinda
We will do what we can, as soon as we are able to.
In the meantime, if anyone is releasing a new movie, please tell us about it in the 'Now Showing' forum, and we will do what we can to promote it. Please also feel free to email me directly andrewkennedy@moviestorm.net, and I will try and make sure nothing gets missed. We are very busy, so with the best will in the world, we will do what we can, when we can.
Thanks,
Andrew

Oh good. Well I use Ipage and I link movies from You Tube and it plays them on the website and I page is very inexpensive and the space you can use on their servers is unlimited. I would like to use Google Drive because it is free. I can upload movies there but that is just for people to download. I have not figured out a way to have them play on a website yet.

#39 Daveman

Daveman

Critically acclaimed

• Members
  • 197 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 04:30 PM

QUOTE (flashman @ Oct 8 2013, 1:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

THANK YOU! I trust your judgement. I know its a catch 22 - I really dont want to see develpment for the new version of Moviestorm slowed down for this one thing, but hopefully the resolve will not be too intensive or time consuming.

Thanks for your effort and again thanks for the heads up
and alerting us ahead of time.

#40 alonzo11208

alonzo11208

Master Director

• Members
  • 360 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 11:05 PM

QUOTE (Daveman @ Oct 2 2013, 10:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was just thinking - simply have a Movie page with categories (Drama, SciFi, Comedy, etc) - that allows Embedding of YouTube and Vimeo videos. You keep the Moviestorm movie pages and no strain on your servers. Curiosity seekers that stumble in will naturally check into Moviestorm.

I'm not sure how much trouble it would be for you to do this, but it seems to me like an awesome compromise.

~ Dave

This. Honestly I think its a relatively simple fix. Actually its kinda the same set up thats on the TMU site, disbarring actually uploading directly to their server.

You can still have a movies page, still do featured films, etc, its just that the filmmakers will have to utilize another source (to which there are now dozens available if the main ones are not for you or allow a download like for those who dont want to stream) to post up their movies thats all.

I dont see it as a death bell of MS persay (its a technical incontinence, things happen, and that movies page has been here since....Nova Centauri, one of the oldest movies Ive seen, which is like what 5 years ago? O.O) just of some hardware.

And lets be honest. as long as the rest of the their hosting servers are up, we can do some leg work to put up our films. I really rather they funnel their money into getting us some Moviestorm updates, instead of another piece of hardware they could do without.

Storm On

Shadows of Fire
Shadows of Fire Encyclopedia

Creater of Shadows of Fire