• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#1 Moviestorm

Moviestorm

Master Director

• Mods
  • 533 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 07:43 PM

Starting today, we’re introducing new pricing options for Moviestorm. They give you more for your money, and it’s easier to understand what you get.

Note: If you’re an existing customer, you can choose to stay on your current plan or switch to a new one. There’s absolutely no obligation to change - just pick whichever plan works best for you.

The biggest change is that we’re no longer including Moviestorm points as standard. Now, when you get Moviestorm, you pick one of six themed bundles of content: Action Movies, Music Video, Situation Drama, Fantasy Films, Factual TV or Kids’ Shows. Each bundle includes at least eleven packs to get you going in whatever genre you pick. If you want more content, you can buy points separately and choose whatever additional packs you want from the Marketplace.

We’re also introducing a new option, Moviestorm Complete 2010, which includes Moviestorm plus most of the content packs we’ve created internally so far. It’s easily the most cost-effective way to build up your Moviestorm asset library, as it works out at under $7 per pack.

Find out what's in the bundles.

As before, you have the choice to buy any of the bundles outright, or else get a 1-month, 3-month license, or 12-month license. The longer the license, the more you’ll save - a 12-month license costs the same as 5 months bought individually! If you choose one of the limited licenses, you can opt to make it a regular payment. You’ll be billed automatically when your license expires, and your Moviestorm usage won’t be interrupted. You can cancel recurring payments at any time. Just pick whatever suits your budget: get going for as little as $10, or buy everything for $225.

And whatever you choose, you have 7 days free to try before making a decision.

How much does it cost?

Moviestorm Complete 2010 bundle (Moviestorm Studio, Modders’ Workshop, 35 content packs)
Full purchase: $225 / £150 / €200
12 month license: $150 / £100 / €125
3 month license: $60 / £40 / €50
1 month license: $30 / £20 / €25

Moviestorm Theme bundles (Moviestorm Studio, Modders’ Workshop, 11 content packs)
Full purchase: $75 / £50 / €60
12 month license: $50 / £35 / €40
3 month license: $20 / £14 / €16
1 month license: $10 / £7 / €8

To get Moviestorm, or switch your existing plan, visit your account on the Moviestorm web site and click Subscription Plan. Remember, if you already have a Moviestorm license, you can choose to stick with the one you’ve got or switch to one of the new plans.
The Moviestorm Team

#2 sfdex

sfdex

Master Director

• Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 08:18 PM

Looks interesting, but I'm a bit confused. I already have bought outright most of the content packs available, so there's no need for me to buy a themed pack. I don't see anywhere what the cost of a monthly (or annual) license fee would be without one of the bundled theme packs.

Am I just missing something obvious?
MacBook Pro - Intel Core 2 Duo - 2.66 GHz - 4 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce 9400M/9600M GT - Snow Leopard (10.6.4)

#3 Yarmond

Yarmond

Critically acclaimed

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 08:35 PM

QUOTE (sfdex @ Nov 22 2010, 03:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Looks interesting, but I'm a bit confused. I already have bought outright most of the content packs available, so there's no need for me to buy a themed pack. I don't see anywhere what the cost of a monthly (or annual) license fee would be without one of the bundled theme packs.

Am I just missing something obvious?

I believe if you click here:

You'll find what you're looking for smile.gif

#4 Armanus

Armanus

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1532 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 08:36 PM

QUOTE (Moviestorm @ Nov 22 2010, 01:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Remember, if you already have a Moviestorm license, you can choose to stick with the one you’ve got or switch to one of the new plans.

I believe this means you can just stick with whatever you're doing, so you're not forced to use one of the new plans.

Here's a question: if I stick with my current subscription plan, do I still get points, or am I obligated now to buy points separately? I currently have a recurring monthly subscription.

#5 D.L. Watson

D.L. Watson

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 559 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 08:41 PM

I think this is a great new pricing model for new users.

I think it would be great to still have a plan specifically catered to the users who already have Moviestorm and nearly all the content packs.

Maybe like a 'points' edition or something.

But I think this is a great new pricing model.

#6 Moviestorm

Moviestorm

Master Director

• Mods
  • 533 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 08:44 PM

QUOTE (Armanus @ Nov 22 2010, 08:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I believe this means you can just stick with whatever you're doing, so you're not forced to use one of the new plans.

Here's a question: if I stick with my current subscription plan, do I still get points, or am I obligated now to buy points separately? I currently have a recurring monthly subscription.

If you stick with your current plan, you will get exactly the same as you do now. The existing plans are not changing.
The Moviestorm Team

#7 mcornetto

mcornetto

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 475 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 09:08 PM

Honestly, the bundle stuff makes no sense for existing customers.

I already own most of these content packs. Why would I want to pay for extra content as part of my monthly fee when I've already paid for that content? Or are you going to reimburse the money I paid for it, so that I can pay for it again with a monthly plan.

I have to pick a new plan for December as do a lot of us. So what do I choose? If I just remain on the monthly plan listed in my profile? How much am I paying? What monthly plan am I on?

I didn't even choose a monthly plan to begin with. It was somehow magically changed from the yearly plan I signed up for.

#8 mcornetto

mcornetto

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 475 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 09:23 PM

After looking more closely and getting over my initial emotional reaction.

I think it would make a great deal of sense if you had a monthly and purchase option without any content for customers who have been around a while and already have the packs.

#9 daleh

daleh

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 810 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 09:37 PM

QUOTE (mcornetto @ Nov 22 2010, 09:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
After looking more closely and getting over my initial emotional reaction.

I think it would make a great deal of sense if you had a monthly and purchase option without any content for customers who have been around a while and already have the packs.

They do, as it states, for those of us who are existing customers and already have many if not all the content packs we can just stay on our current subscriptions, ie:

1 Month Sub and 800 points
3 Month Sub and 2000 points
12 month Sub and 8000 points

To my thinking if you already own most of the packs then just stick with one of the them, as it makes no sense to change, and I guess thats why they are allowing old users that choice.

#10 daleh

daleh

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 810 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 09:40 PM

QUOTE (Moviestorm @ Nov 22 2010, 08:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you stick with your current plan, you will get exactly the same as you do now. The existing plans are not changing.

One question about this, suppose I Need to cancel my current subscription, say for 2 months due to various reasons, what happens when i return after the 2 month break and want to renew my sub, will I still have access to the points based subscription choices, or would I then find myself with only one of the new options..?

#11 Moviestorm

Moviestorm

Master Director

• Mods
  • 533 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 10:34 PM

QUOTE (mcornetto @ Nov 22 2010, 09:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have to pick a new plan for December as do a lot of us. So what do I choose? If I just remain on the monthly plan listed in my profile? How much am I paying? What monthly plan am I on?

One reason you might want to change your plan is that the new plans often work out much cheaper.

A year's sub on the old model would give you Moviestorm + 8000 points for $79.99. On the new model, you'd get Moviestorm + 11 packs for $50. If you're not planning on using much content from Moviestorm, that means you'll be saving $30 right there, even if you already have all those 11 packs.

If you prefer, you can simply purchase one of the Moviestorm bundles outright for $75, which is less than the price of a year's sub on the old model. Even if you don't use any of the 11 packs that come with it, that compares extremely well with $249.99 (and no points or packs) to purchase Moviestorm before.

It all depends what you already have, and what you think you're likely to buy. That's why we left you with the option to pick a new plan or stick with what you've got now.
The Moviestorm Team

#12 Armanus

Armanus

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1532 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 10:52 PM

QUOTE (Moviestorm @ Nov 22 2010, 02:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Awesome! I like the variety this is giving.

#13 mcornetto

mcornetto

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 475 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 12:04 AM

QUOTE (Moviestorm @ Nov 22 2010, 10:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you prefer, you can simply purchase one of the Moviestorm bundles outright for $75, which is less than the price of a year's sub on the old model. Even if you don't use any of the 11 packs that come with it, that compares extremely well with $249.99 (and no points or packs) to purchase Moviestorm before.

Purchasing outright is $225 and includes all of the packs. You can't compare apples and oranges. Now if you had a new price for purchasing without any content then you would have something to compare. And does purchasing on these new plans include a lifetime subscription? I didn't see that mentioned anywhere.

#14 Robear

Robear

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 309 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 02:02 AM

QUOTE (mcornetto @ Nov 22 2010, 04:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Purchasing outright is $225 and includes all of the packs. You can't compare apples and oranges. Now if you had a new price for purchasing without any content then you would have something to compare. And does purchasing on these new plans include a lifetime subscription? I didn't see that mentioned anywhere.

This is my question also.

I already own all of the content packs, so purchasing a lifetime subscription would cost me $249 with no points included? Or would I choose the 2010 Bundle for $225, and is that a lifetime sub?

Or will MS offer a lifetime subscription for current users who have already purchased all of the content packs at a price that reflects that fact, with or without points included?

In any case, this is a great new pricing model for new users.

#15 Moviestorm

Moviestorm

Master Director

• Mods
  • 533 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 03:29 AM

QUOTE (mcornetto @ Nov 23 2010, 12:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Purchasing is exactly the same as a lifetime subscription. You own it. For ever. You still get all the product upgrades, access to forums, etc, just as you do with the lifetime sub.

So you can buy Moviestorm and 35 packs for $225 and own them for ever (new model)
Or you can buy Moviestorm and 11 packs for $75 and own them for ever (new model)
Or you can buy Moviestorm with no packs for $249.99 and own that for ever (old model)

That seems a relatively straightforward comparison. As we said, we're offering Moviestorm bundled and priced differently, not simply repricing the existing options.

If you already own all the packs, then buying MS for $75 is still a good deal compared to $250, even if you don't actually need the packs.
The Moviestorm Team

#16 Moviestorm

Moviestorm

Master Director

• Mods
  • 533 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 03:37 AM

QUOTE (daleh @ Nov 22 2010, 09:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
One question about this, suppose I Need to cancel my current subscription, say for 2 months due to various reasons, what happens when i return after the 2 month break and want to renew my sub, will I still have access to the points based subscription choices, or would I then find myself with only one of the new options..?

Matt here: that's a good question. I'll check with the team in Cambridge and try to get a definitive answer for you tomorrow. Is this something you're seriously considering, or is it just a hypothetical question? We're very interested to find out how many current subscribers will opt to switch to the new pricing plans anyway.

The Moviestorm Team

#17 alonzo11208

alonzo11208

Master Director

• Members
  • 360 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 03:41 AM

Personally find the simple method of paying $20 for three months more to my fancy.
Shadows of Fire
Shadows of Fire Encyclopedia

Creater of Shadows of Fire

#18 rampa

rampa

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1220 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 03:47 AM

QUOTE (Moviestorm @ Nov 22 2010, 07:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Purchasing means purchasing. You own it. For ever. It's exactly the same as a lifetime subscription.

So you can buy Moviestorm and 35 packs for $225 and own them for ever (new model)
Or you can buy Moviestorm and 11 packs for $75 and own them for ever (new model)
Or you can buy Moviestorm with no packs for $249 and own that for ever (old model)

That seems a relatively straightforward comparison.

That looks like a really good deal to me. I live way out in the sticks now, and mostly don't get internet (a blessing and a curse). If I purchase MS with 11 packs for $75 dollars will it stop logging me out every 2 weeks? Will it be upgraded until version 2.0? What happens to packs that I used points to get? You know, like the non-stop erotic cafe...err...After Dark I mean.

I think it is very cool that these new offers are "offered". I am looking forward to "rejoining the fold". I have gotten a little preoccupied with other things again.

Thank you MS!

#19 Moviestorm

Moviestorm

Master Director

• Mods
  • 533 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 03:54 AM

QUOTE (rampa @ Nov 23 2010, 03:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That looks like a really good deal to me. I live way out in the sticks now, and mostly don't get internet (a blessing and a curse). If I purchase MS with 11 packs for $75 dollars will it stop logging me out every 2 weeks? Will it be upgraded until version 2.0? What happens to packs that I used points to get?

Matt here again: I'll check with the guys about logging in, but as far as I know, once you've purchased you don't have to log in. And yes, we continue giving you free upgrades until version 2. (And to reassure you, version 2 isn't even in the planning stages yet, let alone development.)

Any and all packs you've bought with points are still yours to keep, whatever plan you're on. Packs you've rented with points are still yours until the license expires. At that point, you can renew the licenses if you want to. You can buy more points if you don't have any left.

The Moviestorm Team

#20 Moviestorm

Moviestorm

Master Director

• Mods
  • 533 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 04:05 AM

QUOTE (rampa @ Nov 23 2010, 03:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You know, like the non-stop erotic cafe...err...After Dark I mean.

Just to clarify, After Dark is not included in any of the bundles, as that would mean we'd have to sell it as an age-restricted product. You have to buy that separately and certify you're an adult.
The Moviestorm Team