89 replies to this topic

#21 rampa

rampa

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1220 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 04:07 AM

Thanks Matt!

Its really just the logging out part that's been hounding me lately.

#22 mcornetto

mcornetto

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 475 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 04:28 AM

QUOTE (Moviestorm @ Nov 23 2010, 03:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Purchasing is exactly the same as a lifetime subscription. You own it. For ever. You still get all the product upgrades, access to forums, etc, just as you do with the lifetime sub.

So you can buy Moviestorm and 35 packs for $225 and own them for ever (new model)
Or you can buy Moviestorm and 11 packs for $75 and own them for ever (new model)
Or you can buy Moviestorm with no packs for $249.99 and own that for ever (old model)

That seems a relatively straightforward comparison. As we said, we're offering Moviestorm bundled and priced differently, not simply repricing the existing options.

If you already own all the packs, then buying MS for $75 is still a good deal compared to $250, even if you don't actually need the packs.

Matt,

I'm not saying that the $75 dollars isn't a good bargain, nor am I saying that this pricing scheme is not good for new users. However, I do think not catering to the people who have used your product for a few years except to say "you can always take this inexcusably bad deal that we used to offer" shows a certain amount contempt for the current users of your product - many of them, including myself, who have actually spent money on your content packs. Personally it makes me feel ripped off by your company when you ask me to pay for content I've already paid for, you would feel the same way too if some other company asked you to do that. It would be better if you offer the users who have been through many changes in pricing with your company and who have been buying your packs all along, a different and reasonable way to purchase - even if it's a one time thing.

Michael

#23 Moviestorm

Moviestorm

Master Director

• Mods
  • 533 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 05:13 AM

QUOTE (mcornetto @ Nov 23 2010, 04:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Matt,

I'm not saying that the $75 dollars isn't a good bargain, nor am I saying that this pricing scheme is not good for new users. However, I do think not catering to the people who have used your product for a few years except to say "you can always take this inexcusably bad deal that we used to offer" shows a certain amount contempt for the current users of your product - many of them, including myself, who have actually spent money on your content packs. Personally it makes me feel ripped off by your company when you ask me to pay for content I've already paid for, you would feel the same way too if some other company asked you to do that. It would be better if you offer the users who have been through many changes in pricing with your company and who have been buying your packs all along, a different and reasonable way to purchase - even if it's a one time thing.

Michael

We're offering you Moviestorm at a considerably lower price than ever before, and we're offering you more for your money than we have done before. We're also offering you the option to continue on exactly the same basis as before if you feel that gives you better value. I'm sorry you don't think that's fair or reasonable.

The Moviestorm Team

#24 D.L. Watson

D.L. Watson

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 559 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 05:54 AM

I can see where mcornetto is coming from.

I think the point he is making is that if a user has already purchased all the content packs (or all the ones he wants to buy) so far, there isn't a plan that really addresses what he really wants.

What he really wants is to just renew his Moviestorm subscription.

Every plan (even the older plans) forces him to purchase something either he already has or has no need to get.

For example, if he pays for the one year subscription that comes with 8,000 ms points - what will he use that points for when he has all the content packs?

If he pays for the one year with all the content packs then he's paying for content he already has?

I understand that the current plans are great deals for new users - no argument there at all. But it would be great if there was a plan specifically made for your core users.

Maybe a plan like....

Moviestorm Future Edition. Pay $225 and get a one year subscription of Moviestorm and receive all the upcoming content packs released within your subscription year for free. Or something.

#25 Robear

Robear

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 309 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 06:10 AM

QUOTE (Moviestorm @ Nov 22 2010, 07:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Purchasing is exactly the same as a lifetime subscription. You own it. For ever. You still get all the product upgrades, access to forums, etc, just as you do with the lifetime sub.
If you already own all the packs, then buying MS for $75 is still a good deal compared to $250, even if you don't actually need the packs.

To be clear... I can purchase a lifetime subscription to Moviestorm 1.xx outright for $75.

This is a heck of a good deal even with unneeded content packs.

Thanks guys!

#26 equinoxx

equinoxx

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 916 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 07:43 AM

QUOTE (D.L. Watson)
For example, if he pays for the one year subscription that comes with 8,000 ms points - what will he use that points for when he has all the content packs?

If he has all the current content packs, his points would still be applicable to future content... unless I missed a memo where Moviestorm announced they wouldn't be creating any new content.
David "equinoxx" Anderson
http://www.veoh.com/...els/equinoxxent

#27 andy_price

andy_price

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 986 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 07:44 AM

Ok... this mostly sounds like a good deal to me, however in the 11 packs package, where is the pack that includes dark romance and bedroom blog and cartoon world?

the themed packs are ok if you dont want to make a diverse range of films, hey I have a radical idea.... how about a Mix `n` Max pack, where the purchaser has actually got the choice of what packs they get

forumsig.png

#28 luxaeternam

luxaeternam

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1053 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 07:45 AM

QUOTE (D.L. Watson @ Nov 23 2010, 06:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Maybe a plan like....

Moviestorm Future Edition. Pay $225 and get a one year subscription of Moviestorm and receive all the upcoming content packs released within your subscription year for free. Or something.

That's a good idea, for those of us that own all the content packs already, although I think the price should probably be more in line with the 11-pack thing, otherwise they'd have to churn out a pack almost every month for 225 dollars to be a fair price.
"Les miroirs feraient bien de réfléchir un peu plus avant de renvoyer les images" : Jean Cocteau

#29 Harb40

Harb40

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 663 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 08:13 AM

QUOTE (andy_price @ Nov 23 2010, 01:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok... this mostly sounds like a good deal to me, however in the 11 packs package, where is the pack that includes dark romance and bedroom blog and cartoon world?

the themed packs are ok if you dont want to make a diverse range of films, hey I have a radical idea.... how about a Mix `n` Max pack, where the purchaser has actually got the choice of what packs they get

I like this idea. Although, if I had packs I do not own yet, I might get animations that I might need in the future even though I wouldn't use any of the props, costumes.

A mix 'n match type thing where we could specify which packs we wanted would be great if that would be possible.
The Harb40 Passion Competition now has it's own website.

#30 daleh

daleh

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 810 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 10:12 AM

QUOTE (Moviestorm @ Nov 23 2010, 03:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Matt here: that's a good question. I'll check with the team in Cambridge and try to get a definitive answer for you tomorrow. Is this something you're seriously considering, or is it just a hypothetical question? We're very interested to find out how many current subscribers will opt to switch to the new pricing plans anyway.

Well, I tend to have a bit of a love/hate relastionship with MS, so its always possible I may get frustarted to the point of wanting to smash my virtual disc and quit/take a break. So was just wondering if I was to quit for a while, even if it was only a month, and then return, would the old subscriptions still be available to me.

Having said that, £50.00 to buy outright is quite tempting, I do tend to prefer owning things rather than just renting them, its just a shame theres not a Music pack though (as in the Bob and Barn, Soundfactor and Earcom packs), as I own pretty much every other pack bar 1 or 2.. sad.gif

Currently I am on a free sub till Febuary, so at least I have some time to decide still.

#31 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 01:20 PM

Seems like a good deal for me. There are going to be a couple of those DVDs going to friends for Christmas and in a couple of months from me and that will save me some money. And also when I resubscribe in February, it will save me a lot.

Daleh, why do you get frustrated with Movietorm? Maybe I can help you out. I never get tired of using Moviestorm. This is the program I like to use the most because it is just so much fun.

#32 daleh

daleh

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 810 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 02:11 PM

QUOTE (lucindamc123 @ Nov 23 2010, 01:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Daleh, why do you get frustrated with Movietorm? Maybe I can help you out.

A very kind offer Lucinda but I doubt it, not unless you can get MS to release Vampire packs based on Hammer rather than Twilight, Sci-fi packs that contain sci-fi costumes the normal actors can wear, or get the Java people to make Java have no memory leak issues. wink.gif

But seriously, I could probably list dozens of things about MS that frustrate me and dozens that I like, and having participated in these forums regularly for 2 years now I know many others have similar issues too, but that doesn't stop us mostly loving MS and wanting/hoping/begging/praying that MS will slowly add the things we all crave and need.

At the same time it dosen't stop me puling my hair out when some of the things they add fall short of my own hopes/expectations, but thats probably just me being selfish.

#33 tkd27

tkd27

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 780 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 03:28 PM

Am I reading it right that the Kids Show bundle does not include Fun Land? That seems like a very odd omission...

#34 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 03:36 PM

What kind of sci fi costumes are you talking about because they have uniforms for that genre or do you mean space suits like the Aliens wear. That should be easy enough for Moviestorm to do. I don't know the Hammer version of vampire creatures. Also Shirley Martin (Squirrleygirl) is great at designing costumes and maybe you could get her to do some for you that you would like. I don't have any problems with Java now. I did at first when 1.4 came out but I reinstalled and it works great now. Also I was using Moviestorm from my D drive and went back to my C drive for it and it works better too. I also have 4 terabytes of hard drive space now when I used to have only 2 and I have cleaned up my C drive a lot and everything runs better. So many problems you might have with the running of Moviestorm might be due to your computer, not the program. I have a 3 year old computer but I do have a new graphics card and I update all the time to the latest drivers. I also always say I must have a magic computer because I just don't have problems running Moviestorm. But of course my husband is a computer genius and he has helped a lot with my computer and taught me a lot too.

#35 Moviestorm

Moviestorm

Master Director

• Mods
  • 533 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 04:08 PM

QUOTE (tkd27 @ Nov 23 2010, 03:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Am I reading it right that the Kids Show bundle does not include Fun Land? That seems like a very odd omission...

Matt: That's correct. It's to do with licensing issues - not something I'm going to go into any detail on in public.
The Moviestorm Team

#36 Moviestorm

Moviestorm

Master Director

• Mods
  • 533 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 04:12 PM

QUOTE (equinoxx @ Nov 23 2010, 07:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If he has all the current content packs, his points would still be applicable to future content... unless I missed a memo where Moviestorm announced they wouldn't be creating any new content.

Matt again: That's correct. You can still use points on future content.

The Moviestorm Team

#37 Moviestorm

Moviestorm

Master Director

• Mods
  • 533 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 04:25 PM

Matt here: here's the definitive answers I promised some people last night.

QUOTE (daleh @ Nov 22 2010, 09:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
One question about this, suppose I Need to cancel my current subscription, say for 2 months due to various reasons, what happens when i return after the 2 month break and want to renew my sub, will I still have access to the points based subscription choices, or would I then find myself with only one of the new options..?

If you currently have an old-style sub, you will still have access to the old plans, even if you take a break and come back. New customers do not have access to the old plans.

QUOTE (rampa @ Nov 23 2010, 03:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If I purchase MS with 11 packs for $75 dollars will it stop logging me out every 2 weeks?

No, you won't have to keep logging in. Once you purchase, it's yours.

(Actually, right now, you do still have to log in. That's due to a bit of the server we haven't finished upgrading yet, but that will probably be fixed tomorrow. So it'll be dealt with before your first two weeks is up, and you'll never be any the wiser.)
The Moviestorm Team

#38 daleh

daleh

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 810 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 04:33 PM

QUOTE (lucindamc123 @ Nov 23 2010, 03:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What kind of sci fi costumes are you talking about because they have uniforms for that genre or do you mean space suits like the Aliens wear. That should be easy enough for Moviestorm to do. I don't know the Hammer version of vampire creatures. Also Shirley Martin (Squirrleygirl) is great at designing costumes and maybe you could get her to do some for you that you would like. I don't have any problems with Java now. I did at first when 1.4 came out but I reinstalled and it works great now. Also I was using Moviestorm from my D drive and went back to my C drive for it and it works better too. I also have 4 terabytes of hard drive space now when I used to have only 2 and I have cleaned up my C drive a lot and everything runs better. So many problems you might have with the running of Moviestorm might be due to your computer, not the program. I have a 3 year old computer but I do have a new graphics card and I update all the time to the latest drivers. I also always say I must have a magic computer because I just don't have problems running Moviestorm. But of course my husband is a computer genius and he has helped a lot with my computer and taught me a lot too.

Lets not get into a big debate about this, I dont think this thread is the place, my comments were in reply to Matts question which was itself in reply to my original question. As I said, its a Love/Hate thing with MS, and as I am still here after 2 years clearly more love than hate, but I cannot believe anyone uses any software, be it MS or anything else, and doesn't have some gripes about certain things. I've been using computers since 1980ish and dont think I have found a 'perfect' software/game yet....not even the mighty Half-Life smile.gif

As for my computers, well I build them myself, have been since about 1990 when I finally moved to PC from my beloved old Amiga, and they are always built for 3D gaming and so are of decent specs and kept upto date drivers wise. My current system is 3 years old as well but is still pretty decent and runs everything I need gamewise on high/max detail settings.

Oh god...I think I might be a geek..sad.gif

#39 rampa

rampa

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1220 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 04:41 PM

QUOTE (Moviestorm @ Nov 23 2010, 08:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Matt here: here's the definitive answers I promised some people last night.

No, you won't have to keep logging in. Once you purchase, it's yours.

(Actually, right now, you do still have to log in. That's due to a bit of the server we haven't finished upgrading yet, but that will probably be fixed tomorrow. So it'll be dealt with before your first two weeks is up, and you'll never be any the wiser.)

This part makes my day. I'm easy to please. Come resub time, I will certainly "buy" in.

#40 kv

kv

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1941 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 05:59 PM

These are very attractive prices, with exceptionally tasty bundles.

I too own all the packs available (minus the music and soundfx packs), yet the offer of $75 to own moviestorm along with 11 packs (despite me not needing them) is much more attractive than the previous purchase plan as a stand alone product.

I am extremely tempted to purchase out right for $75 when I have the money as in the long run it would save me a lot of money, and if that does indeed mean moviestorm can run (as previously stated on the old model) without logging in every 14 days that would be super.

I really hope this new model works well for you guys as what I see it is overall making more sense and showing exceptional value for money.

Edit: just noticed Matts comment about not needing to log in, spot on in my opinion cool.gif