• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Moviestorm

Moviestorm

Master Director

• Mods
  • 533 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 01:28 PM

As from today, we're making some changes to the free trial. Instead of points, trial customers will get a free pack, and the trial will be 7 days long.

If you got your free trial before today, don't worry. You'll still have your points, and your trial won't be cut short.

All free trial users will still get the full Moviestorm capability. The only restrictions are that you can't use 3rd party content and you can't use the Modders' workshop.
The Moviestorm Team

#2 D.L. Watson

D.L. Watson

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 559 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 09:02 PM

wtf? a 7 day trial?

Hmm. Obviously there is a reason for this. But even big companies like Adobe and Sony give potential customers 30 days to evaluate the software.

This seems like it will turn people off. However, maybe future users may get caught up in all the features and realize that 7 days isn't enough to try out the software and get the subscription.

Hope this change benefits MS for the better.

#3 Armanus

Armanus

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1532 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 09:10 PM

7 days isn't a whole lot of time to really get an idea of all the features of MS, so I could see it potentially going both ways..either people will get excited enough by what the do see to give it a whirl, or they'll get put off.

Risky move, but it could pay off...best of luck!

#4 mystery_egypt

mystery_egypt

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 926 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 10:17 PM

I just hope that those new users who need technical support to make MS work - and this can take some time (even days) - will still have their full 7 days to actually test MS smile.gif

#5 tkd27

tkd27

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 780 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 02:05 AM

I'm sure this isn't a willy nilly change - they're probably basing it on conversion rates (the percentage of people who sign up for a trial vs. the number of people who sign up for the service) and are making some assumptions about the perceived cost of membership (which is probably low), the perceived value once one is paying (which is probably pretty high) and how likely one is to stick with something he's invested actual money in it. Assuming the conversion rates are lower than Moviestorm needs to have in order to make the profit they need to make (which is probably a safe assumption - who switched a winning formula?), this is no doubt a wise move.

#6 Overman

Overman

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 562 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 02:10 AM

I was all like "WTF" as well, but then it occurred to me after reading Cyberhermit's blog that yes there are other programs in this same tier which give you a 30-day free ride... but those programs then require an immediate sizable investment to continue beyond that point. Whereas with Moviestorm's varied subscription options, one really only needs a little money at a time to extend one's time as a user. Don't I wish I could slip into Adobe CS5 or 3DSMAX at 8 bucks a month! wink.gif

So I guess it actually does make really good sense, even admitting that at first I'd have sworn it doesn't.
Phil "Overman" Rice
Zarathustra Studios - http://z-studios.com
You can connect with us On Twitter, On Facebook, On YouTube, and On Vimeo.

#7 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 02:42 AM

I think most people are either going to go ahead and buy the software or not buy it. I know when I use a free trial for a program, it is usually something I have researched and I only do the free trial to make sure it works and is what i want. And I usually buy the program the next day after I have tested it. A lot of times I buy a program an hour or so after I have tested it.

When I bought Iclone, the free trial meant nothing. I couldn't even use the program at first and didn't even try it more than once until a friend showed me how to use it and explained some things about it.

#8 RAYStudios

RAYStudios

Moviegoer

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 05:22 AM

It takes me more than 7 days to make a movie make it free again PLZ! smile.gif

#9 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5373 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 05:38 AM

QUOTE (RAYStudios @ Jan 12 2011, 04:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It takes me more than 7 days to make a movie make it free again PLZ! smile.gif

You only joined today, how many movies have you made? laugh.gif

"If we only use 1/3 of our brain, what's the other 1/3 for?"

#10 RAYStudios

RAYStudios

Moviegoer

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 06:09 AM

QUOTE (primaveranz @ Jan 12 2011, 05:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You only joined today, how many movies have you made? laugh.gif

I've actually had it before but then my comp broke so i lost all my movies plus me and my friend made them on youtube the channels rctv001