• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 Moviestorm

Moviestorm

Master Director

• Mods
  • 533 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 05:29 PM

Subscribers can now access the very latest version of Moviestorm, ahead of its official release. It’s been a while coming, but it’s absolutely packed with goodies. If you’ve been following our progress behind the scenes in the development blog, you’ll already have a pretty good idea of what to expect with this release. Here’s just a small sample of some of the new features:

- The Dressing Room has a far more flexible and powerful interface for designing your Moviestorm characters.
- There are new characters with morphable sliders to change the shape of different features, or even the ethnic origin and skintone.
- Characters also have different decals for skin detail, makeup, eyebrows, beards, and much more. Some decals can even change color and be moved.
- There are ‘Randomize’ buttons for automatically generating and adjusting a new interesting character.
- In the Set Workshop, the inside and outside faces when placing walls are now clear.
- There’s a new 3d ‘amber-blue’ preview option in the Cutting Room.
- The Color Chooser has been radically enhanced, with an improved wheel and ‘Recent’ selection option.
- Dramatic lighting has been enhanced with a ‘Tri-Directional’ lighting option.

This is still a preview release, so you’ll need a slightly different installation procedure to get it. You’ll find detailed instructions here, along with full release notes. You can, of course, continue to use your existing version of Moviestorm if you prefer, or revert to it if you find problems.

Moviestorm 1.4 will be on general release in a few weeks, and there will be new tutorials showing you how to get the best from all the new features. In the meantime, please give us your feedback and let us know what you think via the feedback forums. (Not here, please, we'd like to keep all the feedback in one place!) Most of the team are on holiday next week, so we may not respond as fast as usual, but as always, we really value your feedback. It would be really useful to find out which bits you found confusing - that will help immensely when it comes to making the new tutorials.
The Moviestorm Team

#2 Poulet Noir

Poulet Noir

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1135 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 06:01 PM

Woot and Yay, Yay and Woot!

smile.gif PN smile.gif

"Come back Black Chicken! Leave us an egg or something..." Love at First Bite

Hosting for the Urban Decay Pack thanks to Ichikaiden ... Bat avatar used by kind permission of Jon Huckeby. Check out his blog!

#3 mystery_egypt

mystery_egypt

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 926 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 07:00 PM

Users on Vista and Windows 7 might have problems to update to 1.4.

I wanted to provide my solution in this "official" thread, too:

Update on Vista and Windows 7 (If the steps provided by the MS Staff don't work for you):

Step 1:
Download the new boot-win.properties file to your Documents folder and open it with Notepad. Copy its contents.

Step 2:
Run Notepad as admin (right click on Notepad and select "run as admin")
Then locate and open the old boot-win.properties file which you want to replace. Make sure that it's set to find "All files" not just ".txt" files.
Paste the contents of the new boot-win.properties file (REPLACE the old contents).
Save.

Please post questions concerning my solution here:
http://www.moviestor...p...ic=9184&hl=

#4 luxaeternam

luxaeternam

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1053 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 07:32 PM

Nice workaround Mystery!

A more radical fix for pesky authorisation issues (for all programs) is to disable UAC completely! Ahh, peace and quiet...

smile.gif
"Les miroirs feraient bien de réfléchir un peu plus avant de renvoyer les images" : Jean Cocteau

#5 kv

kv

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1941 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 07:35 PM

QUOTE (luxaeternam @ Aug 12 2010, 07:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nice workaround Mystery!

A more radical fix for pesky authorisation issues (for all programs) is to disable UAC completely! Ahh, peace and quiet...

smile.gif

Absolutely, I hate the User account control and disabled it immediately after installing Windows 7, it really is such a horrid and frustrating feature to have enabled dry.gif

#6 mystery_egypt

mystery_egypt

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 926 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 07:39 PM

Disabling it puts your machine at a greater risk to get malware, so I can't recommend that.
But it's everyone's personal decision wink.gif

#7 Armanus

Armanus

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1532 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 07:42 PM

Installing now...very exciting!

#8 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 07:49 PM

It is still downloading Spareheads. How long does it take?

#9 kv

kv

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1941 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 07:51 PM

QUOTE (mystery_egypt @ Aug 12 2010, 07:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Disabling it puts your machine at a greater risk to get malware, so I can't recommend that.
But it's everyone's personal decision wink.gif

Actually it does not do that very well, I had to fix my friends girlfriends laptop and found alsorts of infections on it including malware and trojans, this on a laptop running windows 7 with user account control enabled.

To top it off my friend brought his laptop to me today to fix a program problem he was having, and I found various infections on his too, again this on a win 7 OS with UAC enabled.

Best thing to have to avoid getting infections on your computer is a good anti virus, I have never had UAC enabled and have the free Avast and despite numerous scans with several programs I have not found any infections on my computer at all wink.gif

#10 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 08:01 PM

QUOTE (lucindamc123 @ Aug 12 2010, 07:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It is still downloading Spareheads. How long does it take?

I shut Moviestorm down and started it up again and now it is downloading Spareheads. I have two different Moviestorm 1.3's installed so I am only installing it on one in case it messes up my older movies.

#11 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 08:02 PM

QUOTE (kv @ Aug 12 2010, 07:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Actually it does not do that very well, I had to fix my friends girlfriends laptop and found alsorts of infections on it including malware and trojans, this on a laptop running windows 7 with user account control enabled.

To top it off my friend brought his laptop to me today to fix a program problem he was having, and I found various infections on his too, again this on a win 7 OS with UAC enabled.

Best thing to have to avoid getting infections on your computer is a good anti virus, I have never had UAC enabled and have the free Avast and despite numerous scans with several programs I have not found any infections on my computer at all wink.gif

I have Kaspersky and I highly recommend it. It does cost $79.95 a year but it is well worth it. It is the best virus protection I have ever had on a computer.

#12 mystery_egypt

mystery_egypt

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 926 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 08:03 PM

I think we should take this topic to the general chat section because it seems off-topic here smile.gif

#13 kv

kv

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1941 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 08:11 PM

QUOTE (mystery_egypt @ Aug 12 2010, 08:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think we should take this topic to the general chat section because it seems off-topic here smile.gif

Aye, I should point out that this is a really good release, the new dressing room makes it easier to determine the best costume and make up to have for you characters particularly now you can rotate them to get a good look at the changes. The face morphing is really good too and finally gives us that ability to have more of our own custom characters, the make up is superb too, when more is available it will be nothing short of spectacular!

#14 Poulet Noir

Poulet Noir

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1135 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 09:53 PM

Thanks KV for pointing out that you have to be patient between starting Moviestorm and the updates starting to download - armed with that info (and a cuppa tea), it all went very smoothly!

And yep, just had a tinker with the new dressing room and it is amazing - and hilarious smile.gif

PN
"Come back Black Chicken! Leave us an egg or something..." Love at First Bite

Hosting for the Urban Decay Pack thanks to Ichikaiden ... Bat avatar used by kind permission of Jon Huckeby. Check out his blog!

#15 alonzo11208

alonzo11208

Master Director

• Members
  • 360 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 10:45 PM

WOOT!!! I can now create my own aliens biggrin.gif
Shadows of Fire
Shadows of Fire Encyclopedia

Creater of Shadows of Fire

#16 kibishipaul

kibishipaul

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 427 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 12:38 AM

Anybody tried installing on a Mac yet? I did everything required, but when I click on the start button Moviestorm just disappears. Any ideas? huh.gif

#17 procureagent

procureagent

Master Director

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 10:58 AM

Been up all night after installing the 1.4 version, and LOVING IT! Still waiting for a body manipulation feature though (slim to overweight, breast size, athletic to muscular, etc.) - Height would also be a great manipulation feature.

#18 teacee

teacee

Moviegoer

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 02:37 PM

QUOTE (kibishipaul @ Aug 13 2010, 12:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anybody tried installing on a Mac yet? I did everything required, but when I click on the start button Moviestorm just disappears. Any ideas? huh.gif

Same for me it shows start option then nothing happens when I click start
I have a frind that has an imac and he has no problems, I am on an Mac pro 8 core with ATi Radeon HD 2600 video card 8gb of ram any advice how to get this working?

#19 Chris Ollis

Chris Ollis

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1631 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 02:52 PM

A quick run through of all the morphs and decals
It takes 15 minutes to look at them all - so I edited and fast forwarded it a bit!

Chris Ollis
Caretaker of www.moddingstorm.co.uk, the one stop shop for all your extra addon needs
Plus Minor Web Celebrity, Viral Guru, Advertising storyboarder, Toy designer, BBC and Channel4 comedy writer/animator :D

#20 rgr

rgr

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 425 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 03:03 PM

QUOTE (Chris Ollis @ Aug 13 2010, 02:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A quick run through of all the morphs and decals
It takes 15 minutes to look at them all - so I edited and fast forwarded it a bit!

This looks really spectacular. I'm just about to finish a movie I've been tinkering with all summer and am too paranoid to change anything on my machine until it's done tongue.gif but as soon as it is, I plan to jump into 1.4 (assuming I can run in on my macbook smile.gif ).