Photo

Moviestorm talk show pack - it does more than you think!

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Moviestorm

Moviestorm

Master Director

• Mods
  • 533 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 05:57 PM

Hot on the heels of yesterday’s release of Moviestorm 1.4.1, here’s a deceptively useful pack. The Talk Show pack is a must-have pack designed for making chat shows, interviews, video blogs and other forms of presentation. It also comes with a broad selection of TV studio assets, including customisable panels, curtains, projection screens and furniture.

So what’s the big deal? Why would you want this if you’re not making a talk show?

Take a seat
The Talk Show pack also includes a huge collection of expressive seated animations. Now your Moviestorm characters can gesticulate, gesture and emote while sitting down. Combined with the standing animations in the base pack, this gives them an incredible range of dramatic and emotional performances. Whatever kind of film you’re making, this will extend your characters’ acting ability massively, and give you whole new ways to film many different scenes. Think how differently you could do that meeting with the boss, the board room scene, the moment where she sits on the bed and pours her heart out, or the interplanetary video conversation with the wife he left behind… And, of course, you could always use it for making talk shows!

Get up there
But that’s not all. The pack also includes a basic nav mesh, which allows you to get your characters off the floor and onto different heights. This one’s very limited: your characters can walk around the mesh, but they can’t step onto or off it, so you’ll need some creative cutting if you’re going to give them the illusion of full movement around the set. However, it does now mean you can have your lead characters towering above the crowd, or even just on a raised stage.

Prop-based sets
And finally, the Talk Show pack features a new way to create sets. Instead of stock sets, there are two ready-made TV studio sets as tintable props. You just place them on an empty set like any other prop. You can then add tables, chairs, or other set items to them as normal. You can even include them in a larger set, complete with entry corridors and archways, or build a large auditorium around them. Supplying sets in this way means that some of the lighting is pre-rendered, giving you smoother shadows and some faked light-bounce effects.
The third prop-based set is a complete green-screen room. Place your characters in this, and then use the chroma-key tools in your favourite video editor to composite them into completely new scenes, mixing them up with any video footage you like. We’ve had backdrops to do this for a while, but this easy set gives you floor and ceiling as well, with just a single click.

So, even if you’re not planning to make a talk show, this pack is filled with essential assets. The seated animations and nav mesh are bound to be useful, whatever you’re making, and the green-screen room is perfect for advanced users who want to combine their Moviestorm footage with other things.

The Talk Show pack is available in the Marketplace now. Price 100 MSP/month, or 1000MSP to purchase. (Requires Moviestorm 1.4.1)
The Moviestorm Team

#2 mystery_egypt

mystery_egypt

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 926 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 06:17 PM

That's great news, I'm off to try - and I'm just happy that the weekend is ahead of me, and I have time to test it out biggrin.gif

#3 willshetterly

willshetterly

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1356 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 06:27 PM

I tried to leave this on the blog, but I kept getting errors. (Maybe it's incompatible with Chrome?) Anyway: You should link the marketplace page to your blog post or add that info to the marketplace page. At the marketplace now, the pack looks like so much less than it is.

#4 squirrelygirl

squirrelygirl

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1910 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 07:22 PM

Just for the guestures this pack is sooo worth the money! Wonderful job on this pack! smile.gif

modsnmore_logo.jpg

#5 Fulkster

Fulkster

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 2292 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 07:39 PM

...that weather screen by itself... maybe with a little re-modding will make a great spaceship front screen!
wink.gif
I like this pack! (I always like new gestures and new furniture!)
The next big thing: MOVIESTORM!

See my most recent movie: "Athena Project: Chapter 2 (Down the Rabbit-hole)"
http://www.moviestor...p;vid_id=102329

(Soon, "Athena Project 3: The Laws Of Robotics"

Moddingstorm! Cool Mods!

#6 kkffoo

kkffoo

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 3286 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 07:41 PM

This is a cool idea!

#7 gitsch

gitsch

Upcoming director

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 07:51 PM

Oh boy, new toy!
; )

#8 Armanus

Armanus

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1532 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 08:28 PM

Very cool! I agree with Will that you should be that descriptive on the product's market page. You completely sold me in this post. The market page isn't really telling me anything, and I wouldn't see a reason to get it.

#9 Nolos!

Nolos!

Novice director

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 09:12 PM

This will help with two of my projects. At this rate, I may have to do my whole movie in Moviestorm. Keep 'em coming.

Thanks.
I'm paying for this movie. I want guns.

#10 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5373 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 09:44 PM

Ooh, this is going to work for me on so many levels! wink.gif
Thanks folks!

"If we only use 1/3 of our brain, what's the other 1/3 for?"

#11 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5373 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 12:36 AM

Or it will if I manage to download it wink.gif

I bought it before upgrading to 1.4.1.

Now when I start 1.4 (to update) I get "Failed to Download Talk Show" and "Forbidden". I assume its checking to see whether I have 1.4.1 installed?

Problem is now MS won't update to 1.4.1.

(Goes looking for Ben's instructions on how to stop downloads again) rolleyes.gif

#12 joezen777

joezen777

Wannabe film-maker

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 02:24 AM

Awesome! I love theme packs more than I love actually making movies with moviestorm. Does that make sense or is this related to why I have a bunch of unused pens? :-/ laugh.gif
Joe Zen
http://www.youtube.com/zentalklaugh
producer/editor/writer/director/comic/insane

Have fun. Work together. Make awesome stuff.

The glass isn't half empty, it just needs to be cut in half.

#13 Fulkster

Fulkster

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 2292 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 02:25 AM

QUOTE (primaveranz @ Sep 11 2010, 12:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Or it will if I manage to download it wink.gif

I bought it before upgrading to 1.4.1.

Now when I start 1.4 (to update) I get "Failed to Download Talk Show" and "Forbidden". I assume its checking to see whether I have 1.4.1 installed?

Problem is now MS won't update to 1.4.1.

(Goes looking for Ben's instructions on how to stop downloads again) rolleyes.gif

For "won't update to 1.4.1", check out Amos' posting.

...I had the same prob with the "Forbidden" re: the Talk Show download. I downloaded it with Firefox from the Marketplace link (when I use MSIE, it saves it as a zip folder... Firefox saves it as an addon). Then I used the Moviestorm "Install addon" on the first splash screen.

(hope this helps?)

Moddingstorm! Cool Mods!

#14 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5373 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 05:27 AM

Thanks Mr F!

Download underway now smile.gif

#15 drudges

drudges

Master Director

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 09:16 PM

Awsome stuff!
Current main project 'REVENGE'

'A lion sleeps in the heart of every brave man'

#16 juancardenes

juancardenes

Film Critic

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 01:40 AM

I already installed it, but when I try to make a new movie, it does not show on the list of Moviestorm packages installed. I added it after the moviestorm was updated. Somebody help me.

#17 Fulkster

Fulkster

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 2292 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 01:47 AM

QUOTE (juancardenes @ Sep 13 2010, 01:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I already installed it, but when I try to make a new movie, it does not show on the list of Moviestorm packages installed. I added it after the moviestorm was updated. Somebody help me.

...you might double-check to see if it is ticked in the "addons" section under "settings"? Often, when changes are made after MS starts, MS needs to re-start to have the change(s) take effect.

Moddingstorm! Cool Mods!

#18 johnnie

johnnie

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 860 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 09:42 AM

QUOTE (willshetterly @ Sep 10 2010, 06:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You should link the marketplace page to your blog post or add that info to the marketplace page. At the marketplace now, the pack looks like so much less than it is.

Good suggestion. I've updated the Marketplace page with the extra information.

Johnnie Ingram
Co-Author, Machinima For Dummies

QUOTE (The Overcast @ July 23 2006)

#19 juancardenes

juancardenes

Film Critic

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 02:43 AM

QUOTE (Fulkster @ Sep 13 2010, 01:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
...you might double-check to see if it is ticked in the "addons" section under "settings"? Often, when changes are made after MS starts, MS needs to re-start to have the change(s) take effect.

I double checked and it has the Talk show selected but I did not see it on my set list.

#20 Fulkster

Fulkster

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 2292 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 04:14 AM

QUOTE (juancardenes @ Sep 14 2010, 02:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I double checked and it has the Talk show selected but I did not see it on my set list.

Ah... they don't have a pre-made set (though they probably should have?)...
It shows up as props to place in sets. Use your filter for "talk" or something like that... (mine shows about 19 or so props, including a stage, and a couple video screens...)

Moddingstorm! Cool Mods!