• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mattzart30

mattzart30

Master Director

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 02:54 PM

Does anyone have any experience with Vue? If so, let me know, I have questions! I am trying to use it to create some terrain, it seems capable of some ridiculously beautiful vistas, granted way too high poly for moviestorm, but perfect for chroma-keying.

#2 jamoram62

jamoram62

Master Director

• Members
  • 874 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 07:14 PM

QUOTE (mattzart30 @ Dec 26 2014, 2:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Does anyone have any experience with Vue? If so, let me know, I have questions! I am trying to use it to create some terrain, it seems capable of some ridiculously beautiful vistas, granted way too high poly for moviestorm, but perfect for chroma-keying.

Hi, Matt. Have you made any progress with Vue 3D? What version are you using? I think there's a free version but have some annoying limitations, IIRC. I can recall using a similar utility, say 7-8 years ago, possibly a very old version of Vue 3D now, but I wasn't especially interested in the subject back then.

ars longa vita brevis - Hippocrates (attributed)

If you want to tell jokes then use Muvizu; if you want to make 'Movies', use iClone; but if you want to tell stories, use Moviestorm - PrimaveraNZ

Shared addons & stuff for Moviestorm: https://drive.google...aTNsSFBuN0sxZHM

#3 mattzart30

mattzart30

Master Director

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 06:59 AM

hi!

I actually did end up buying a license. I got the free Vue Pioneer 2014, and I licensed a few add-on modules like the Ecosystems, import and export modules. The add ons were around $100-150 each.

I will say this -- the results are gorgeous. It creates hyper realistic models that are film-ready and you can do it in a relatively short amount time. Just go on youtube and do a search for some user created things -- they are almost always stunning.

The problem I am having is they are *too* realistic to mix with moviestorm, which has a more cartoon-like/animated aesthetic. The chroma keying just ends up looking weird, in my opinion. I have thought, though, that it might look great for sci fi things, because Vue 3D also has space and sci-fi modules that create Star Trek Voyager-style vistas and animated space phenomenon.

The one practical use I have found with it for movie storm is creating terrain shells that can then be textured in moviestorm or populated with moviestorm terrain props. However, even these are very high poly. A typical Vue ecosystem forest vista is around 4 million polygons. Creating the terrain shell and using only that and populating it with MS trees is around 350,000 polygons. It works, but its probably an unnecessary use of available MS resources and there are much more conservative ways of getting terrain shapes (mountains, cliffs, rivers, canyons, etc) into MS that don't chew up 80% of your available memory off the bat.

#4 pedrosura

pedrosura

Master Director

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 04:17 PM

Another option is to use Space Engine from en.spaceengine.org

Here is a few images of panoramas available.

http://en.spaceengin...orum/10-432-256

Space Engine creates imaginary panoramas from the trillions of planets in existence in the Universe. These are procedural objects which are extremely detailed because they are fictitious and require no data to create. You can create videos for flythru or images that could be placed in a prim for a backdrop.

It's free!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users