• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 06:47 PM

This dove is the first of the animals I am animating for use with Moviestorm. The dove is scalable and mobile and has four animations, glide, fast flying, slow flying and moderate flying. The body, wings and head are tintable and will use a photograph. The beak and legs also will use a photograph and are tintable. This is an original mesh created by myself and I also created all the animations. You can download the addon at http://lucindamc123.com/Dove.zip.

Produced and directed by Lucinda McNary. Music by Lucinda McNary

http://www.moviestor...p;vid_id=106626

#2 kkffoo

kkffoo

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 3267 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 07:47 PM

You did a great job with those feet!

#3 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 08:16 PM

Thanks, I didn't realize I should have had thighs on them that were fuller and with animation also, but I didn't want to redo the whole thing so I left it the way it is.

#4 andy_price

andy_price

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 986 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 08:55 PM

i like this a lot, good job

forumsig.png

#5 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 09:50 PM

It took a full day to create the model but the animation went really quickly. It wasn't that difficult to create but it was tedious. The way I did it was use a photograph of a model of a bird and laid that flat on the ground of Sketchup and then I drew around it, including all the different faces. Then you use push me pull me to bring the faces to different levels so you get that rounded effect for the parts of the wings. The beak I made from a cone and also the tail. The head and body I made with globes and I used the loop subdivision addon to create the right shapes. You could also just use a regular photograph of any animal but to find a Dove in the right position was really difficult.

Horses and other animals aqre easier to do as you can usually find a good side shot of a horse, dog or cat and you just draw from that and create disks and make gradiating sizses of the disks for the legs, body, head and tail. The things like the main I use Organica to create mushy simple shapes that can be scaled correctly. Same with the tail. It just takes time but it isn't that difficult.

#6 rampa

rampa

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1220 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 09:57 PM

Modeling from a picture is a great way to go, but I would recomend some other programs for it over Sketchup. You should have a look at

http://www.archipelis.com/

It crteates the texture and maps it to the surface as you create it. Should be very helpful for the photo-realistic technique you use. Cheers!

#7 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 09:59 PM

QUOTE (rampa @ Mar 11 2011, 03:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Modeling from a picture is a great way to go, but I would recomend some other programs for it over Sketchup. You should have a look at

http://www.archipelis.com/

It crteates the texture and maps it to the surface as you create it. Should be very helpful for the photo-realistic technique you use. Cheers!

Thanks,I will try it out especially for organic shapes like animals and people. I am on my new 64 bit computer that arrived today. Downloading Moviestorm. It has I believe an ATI video card so I will see if MOviestorm will work with that. If not we will go out tomorrow and get a Nvidia Geforce like I have in my other computer. I am keeping the other computer which is really nice because I can get a lot more work done this way.

#8 Robear

Robear

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 309 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 02:49 AM

QUOTE (lucindamc123 @ Mar 11 2011, 01:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It has I believe an ATI video card so I will see if MOviestorm will work with that. If not we will go out tomorrow and get a Nvidia Geforce like I have in my other computer.

Thanks for the dove mod, Lucinda. Great work.

I am using an ATI card (for the first time, but it came with the computer) and it works great. However, using ATI drivers does not allow you to work with .dds files and that is the major drawback.

You will love the power of 64bit with gobs of RAM.

#9 corthew

corthew

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 2357 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 03:13 AM

You'll love 64bit.

I don't know about the ATI card. I prefer Nvidia.

Hopefully one of these years when MS is built on the new engine, it'll be able to take advantage of 64bit.
Or 128 bit the way the technology is growing.smile.gif
Sango: "If it was really a miracle everyone would have been saved."

Vargas: "But if everyone was saved how would anyone know it was a miracle."

Sango and Vargas arguing over the implications of one person surviving an unexpectedly active tidal season.

#10 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 03:17 AM

QUOTE (corthew @ Mar 11 2011, 09:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You'll love 64bit.

I don't know about the ATI card. I prefer Nvidia.

Hopefully one of these years when MS is built on the new engine, it'll be able to take advantage of 64bit.
Or 128 bit the way the technology is growing.smile.gif

So far everything I have installed, Iclone 4 Pro, Moviestorm and Sony Vegas Studio work fine on this machine and with the ATI card so I don't think I need a new card for this at all. I was surprised that it worked well but it does.

This machine is really fast and no more memory problems for me and I kept my other computer so I can do things like render a long movie on one computer and still do some work on the other computer with modding or more filming. I can't believe how fast it downloaded all of Moviestorm plus all the addons I have which is all of them. Only took about an hour and on my other computer, it took several hours to get Moviestorm installed.

#11 Chris Ollis

Chris Ollis

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1631 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 07:00 AM

QUOTE (Robear @ Mar 12 2011, 02:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
However, using ATI drivers does not allow you to work with .dds files and that is the major drawback.

I find that very hard to believe. dds files are commonplace in many games, specifically designed for ease of use for graphics cards. Perhaps you just need a driver update?

Chris Ollis
Caretaker of www.moddingstorm.co.uk, the one stop shop for all your extra addon needs
Plus Minor Web Celebrity, Viral Guru, Advertising storyboarder, Toy designer, BBC and Channel4 comedy writer/animator :D

#12 Robear

Robear

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 309 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 10:30 AM

QUOTE (Chris Ollis @ Mar 11 2011, 11:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I find that very hard to believe.

That's because it's not true.

But it wasn't the drivers. After your post I reinstalled the Compressionator app (which has done nothing but crash out before) and bingo, it works. I updated the drivers a few days ago so maybe that's the deal. I haven't delved into the world of ATI much yet.

#13 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 02:18 PM

Moviestorm is working fine on my new computer with the ATI card. Probably because this is new it has the updated drivers anyway. I installed Moviestorm, Iclone 4 Pro and Sony Vegas Pro and everything is working fine. Haven't put Photoshop on here and don't know if the ATI card has the same filter that allows you to save files as DDS files like the Nvidia card does but no problem, I can create them on my other computer and copy them over to this one. Yes I am using both computers which will be hooked together via our network. Going out today to get a switch to allow them to use the same DSL port. No problems at all and they all installed fine even though this is 64 bit machine. I guess the computer knows when something will only run on 32 bit and installs it correctly.

And by the way, Sony Vegas Pro is the old one, version 8 and it works fine. Still have to install Adobe Audition. I got PaintShop Photo Pro X3 and am installing it on this new computer and I may use it instead of my old Photoshop anyway.

#14 Rolanda4

Rolanda4

Upcoming director

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 10:12 AM

This dove is the first of the animals I am animating for use with Moviestorm. The dove is scalable and mobile and has four animations, glide, fast flying, slow flying and moderate flying. The body, wings and head are tintable and will use a photograph. The beak and legs also will use a photograph and are tintable. This is an original mesh created by myself and I also created all the animations. You can download the addon at http://lucindamc123.com/Dove.zip.

Produced and directed by Lucinda McNary. Music by Lucinda McNary

http://www.moviestor...p;vid_id=106626

I'm receiving an error when trying to download the file.

#15 mattzart30

mattzart30

Master Director

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 04:30 PM

It's been several years since that was posted, Lucinda may have moved or taken down the resource.   Maybe other users have the addon, though.  If you have trouble reaching Lucinda here I believe she has a facebook page you can contact her through, the info is on her channel.

#16 Rolanda4

Rolanda4

Upcoming director

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 03:55 PM

Thanks to Corthew this free animated dove addon created by Lucinda is now available via this Dropbox link:  https://www.dropbox....u/Dove.zip?dl=0

Hugs,

Rolanda