• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 jimthehermit

jimthehermit

Director

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 07:14 PM

I'm using Windows 7 professional with 2 terabyte hard drives and 6.00 GB of RAM. How is it I can't produce a 2 minute movie because of lack of memory? The Camerawork View and Cutting Room view get so choppy and slowed down it's practically useless for directing and it freezes up for a few seconds with every little change and crashes most of the other times.

Why only 506MB "heap memory?" Turning it to the the menu screen uses up 44-70MB of it.
I did try changing the Moviestorm.l4j.ini file to 600 but that just made it worse.

It's frustrating because I can play Skyrim with reasonably high settings and have no problems.

#2 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5215 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 07:48 PM

What kind of video card do you have? And are you sure MS is set to use it and not just the built-in graphics?

"If we only use 1/3 of our brain, what's the other 1/3 for?"

#3 jimthehermit

jimthehermit

Director

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 10:54 PM

QUOTE (primaveranz @ Oct 12 2014, 7:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What kind of video card do you have? And are you sure MS is set to use it and not just the built-in graphics?

I don't know what it's set to, how do I change it?

#4 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5215 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 11:48 PM

If it is an NVidia card try this approach (found via google):-

1.Go to the NVIDIA Control Panel by right clicking on your desk top and clicking on "NVIDIA Control Panel".
2.In the default screen that pops up (it should be "manage 3D settings", and the "Program Settings" tab should
be automatically selected), under "1. Select a program to customize:" hit the "Add" button.
3.From here, navigate to the folder where Moviestorm is located.
4.Find the .exe, select it and hit open.
5.Then, under "2. Select the preferred graphics processor for this program:" open the drop-down menu and
select "High-performance NVIDIA processor".
6.Finally, hit apply in the far bottom right corner, and you should be good to go.

"If we only use 1/3 of our brain, what's the other 1/3 for?"

#5 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 09:49 AM

The answer to 'why only 506MB of heap memory' is that heap memory is not the only sort of memory needed; Java will probably be using 2-3 times that amount, as it does garbage collection and other heap management.
As Moviestorm is a 32 bit process, all that, plus some (significant) overhead for the operating system, needs to fit in the 32 bit address space (which can address 4gb at max).

Are you using the updated version? (1.7.0 released on Friday)
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#6 jimthehermit

jimthehermit

Director

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 03:32 PM

QUOTE (primaveranz @ Oct 12 2014, 11:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If it is an NVidia card try this approach (found via google):-

1.Go to the NVIDIA Control Panel by right clicking on your desk top and clicking on "NVIDIA Control Panel".
2.In the default screen that pops up (it should be "manage 3D settings", and the "Program Settings" tab should
be automatically selected), under "1. Select a program to customize:" hit the "Add" button.
3.From here, navigate to the folder where Moviestorm is located.
4.Find the .exe, select it and hit open.
5.Then, under "2. Select the preferred graphics processor for this program:" open the drop-down menu and
select "High-performance NVIDIA processor".
6.Finally, hit apply in the far bottom right corner, and you should be good to go.

I don't have NVidia but I reloaded my video drivers (I'll see if that works later[[[)

#7 jimthehermit

jimthehermit

Director

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 03:35 PM

QUOTE (Ben_S @ Oct 13 2014, 9:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The answer to 'why only 506MB of heap memory' is that heap memory is not the only sort of memory needed; Java will probably be using 2-3 times that amount, as it does garbage collection and other heap management.
As Moviestorm is a 32 bit process, all that, plus some (significant) overhead for the operating system, needs to fit in the 32 bit address space (which can address 4gb at max).

Are you using the updated version? (1.7.0 released on Friday)

Actually all my problems started when I updated to 1.7. I did my last movie The Long Road Home with the previous version with no problems at all (but I did have only 1 light source)

Any plans to update Moviestorm to 64 bit?

#8 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 04:09 PM

Well, if you want to package up your movie as a .sharedmovie, upload it somewhere, and send me a link, I can have a look at it, and what is causing it to stress the system.

Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#9 sosberg

sosberg

Master Director

• Members
  • 307 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 05:40 AM

QUOTE (jimthehermit @ Oct 12 2014, 7:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm using Windows 7 professional with 2 terabyte hard drives and 6.00 GB of RAM. How is it I can't produce a 2 minute movie because of lack of memory? The Camerawork View and Cutting Room view get so choppy and slowed down it's practically useless for directing and it freezes up for a few seconds with every little change and crashes most of the other times.

Why only 506MB "heap memory?" Turning it to the the menu screen uses up 44-70MB of it.
I did try changing the Moviestorm.l4j.ini file to 600 but that just made it worse.

It's frustrating because I can play Skyrim with reasonably high settings and have no problems.

Yes I'm having the same problem.
I', unable to produce anything now it just does nothing sad.gif
I would like to see us get this place right first before we have the arrogance to put significantly flawed civilizations out onto other planets, even though they may be utterly uninhabited.
--PATRICK STEWART--

#10 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 10:58 AM

I would love to have a copy of a movie exhibiting this problem to analyse. Please package one up as a .sharedmovie (from the script editor), and upload it somewhere you can send me a link to.

Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#11 sosberg

sosberg

Master Director

• Members
  • 307 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 12:10 AM

I have found that the old sets I have stored seem to cause most of the problems. angry.gif
Unfortunately that means having to redo my set fresh wink.gif

How do I do a .sharedmovie? Dropbox okay?
I would like to see us get this place right first before we have the arrogance to put significantly flawed civilizations out onto other planets, even though they may be utterly uninhabited.
--PATRICK STEWART--

#12 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 01:00 PM

http://support.movie...vie-with-others

if dropbox can provide me with a link, then yes, it should be fine. It's not something I've got an account with, however.

It would be great to have a copy of one (or more) of the saved stock sets that is now broken, too, especially if it is using the same set of addons as the shared movie you are going to provide me with.
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#13 corthew

corthew

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 2357 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 01:26 AM

Hey Ben,
As an aside to this topic, are there any plans to go 64bit anytime soon?

Sango: "If it was really a miracle everyone would have been saved."

Vargas: "But if everyone was saved how would anyone know it was a miracle."

Sango and Vargas arguing over the implications of one person surviving an unexpectedly active tidal season.

#14 EugeneE

EugeneE

Master Director

• Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 12:43 AM

QUOTE (corthew @ Oct 16 2014, 8:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey Ben,

A 64-bit version of Moviestorm sounds very cool especially since 64 bit doesn't have the memory restrictions like 32-bit does. Not only that, many of the computers made nowadays are 64-bit.

Back onto the topic, one of the things that I've learned to help control memory problem is to film each scene separately and then piece together the film using an editor. So, if you have an 8 scene video, film you will have 8 different renders which you piece together, this help memory because you're not putting all the scenes together into one.

Edited by EugeneE, 17 December 2014 - 04:28 AM.

#15 jamoram62

jamoram62

Master Director

• Members
  • 594 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 07:35 PM

QUOTE (corthew @ Oct 16 2014, 8:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey Ben,

A 64-bit version of Moviestorm sounds very cool especially since 64 bit doesn't have the memory restrictions like 32-bit does. Not only that, many of the computers made nowadays are 64-bit.

A temporary alternative could be to run Moviestorm on a JRE compiled to support the IMAGE_FILE_LARGE_ADDRESS_AWARE option. IMHO that would bring some relief, at least in machines running  32 or 64bit Windows. I'm doing some research on this subject, but without much success at the current time (http://www.moviestor...showtopic=15438). Maybe someone else with more knowledge and experience in Java than I could contribute in any sense.

ars longa vita brevis - Hippocrates (attributed)

If you want to tell jokes then use Muvizu; if you want to make 'Movies', use iClone; but if you want to tell stories, use Moviestorm - PrimaveraNZ

Shared addons & stuff for Moviestorm: https://drive.google...aTNsSFBuN0sxZHM