#1 mariedurandvande

mariedurandvande

Moviegoer

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 04:09 PM

Hello everyone !

I'm a beginner at MS and I just encountered my first problem : 

My characters are blocked because they reach the stage border and I don't know if there is a way to increase the stage's size : /

Or at least is there a way to select and move as many things (characters, camera, etc...) at the same time ?

It's probably a common problem but I don't know yet how it works.

Thanks for your help !

#2 Daneel

Daneel

Novice director

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 07:37 PM

Hey. There is an extra large set you can use but I don't think there's a way to increase the size of a set once you've started to use it. Also, as far as I know, you can only move one thing at a time except under the specific circumstance where one object is attached to another by proximity and then you can move those objects together if you pick the last one in the chain. For example if you added a table, then put a vase on it, if you move the vase the table will move too.

#3 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5175 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 12:58 AM

If you hold down the CTRL key and click on several objects you can then move them all together in the workshop view.
However to move the actors you have to go into the Director view and move them. If they have a walk path you will have to move the start and end points as well.
I tend to start a movie with the actors as close to the centre as possible to avoid them hitting the edge.
If they need to walk any distance e.g. to the end of the "Ground" I would create different scenes, or better still different movies, each only containing the necessary background, and then splice them together in an external video editor.

"If we only use 1/3 of our brain, what's the other 1/3 for?"

#4 Daneel

Daneel

Novice director

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 06:55 PM

Thanks Primaveranz. That CTRL + Left Click is very useful to know. It says to use Shift + Left Click to select multiple objects in the User Guide and Cheatsheet which I've often tried but it never worked. Thought it was a bug or something. Now I know it was just a mistake in the User Guide :)

#5 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5175 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 08:51 PM

Yeah I remember it was a big improvement when it was implemented.
If you look at the properties for each prop you will also see "Detach parent prop" and "Detach Child Props" buttons. It is worth playing around with these to see what happens.
If you place a prop on top of another it becomes a child so will be moved and rotated (not scaled though) with its parent. If you don't want this to happen, you can use one of the two button to disconnect them.
However you can't reconnect them afterwards. The CTRL option is more flexible in my view.

"If we only use 1/3 of our brain, what's the other 1/3 for?"