• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 kv

kv

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1941 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 09:02 PM

I have been trying to find ways to compress my Entity movie from 658mb to just under 500mb so I can get it up on vimeo, I still want to keep it HD (1280x720) but I am having no luck, I tried various formats including divx/xvid, mpeg 4, but they just seem to bloat it to a bigger size. I tried h264 avi but even though it brings down the size the audio stutters for some reason, and it does not look like vimeo accepts mkv format.

Anyone any suggestions how I could do it, if even possible? Right now I have no cash so couldn`t fund for a vimeo premium account unsure.gif

#2 BA

BA

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 455 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 09:54 PM

at 28 minutes your going to be very hard pressed to get that into 500mB, your best bet would be WMV, another way would be to ask Moviestorm to fund a premium channel on Vimeo where we could upload our movies. I Might as well ask if they would be prepared to do this when I meet them on Friday.
Matt and Dave Review our last film "Faith Hope and Charity". http://blackaceprodu...ious/Review.wma

#3 kv

kv

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1941 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 10:02 AM

That would be cool for moviestormers to be able to post their stuff in HD, but if I asked no doubt they would give me a slap for being cheeky laugh.gif

#4 davidwww

davidwww

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1881 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 03:25 PM

I was having problems just uploading my 6minute movie but I found a program from the Free Software List started by Forbiden1 to work really well, you can encode in several formats very quickly and test them out, I suggest you try it, the program is called Any Video Converter.
http://www.any-video...for_video_free/

Regards
David

Moviestorm still Number One

#5 kv

kv

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1941 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 08:19 PM

Just tried that, its good but it also bloated the file to 1.02gb unsure.gif

#6 BA

BA

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 455 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 10:46 PM

Well "Daddy is Home" is just 12.5 minutes long and 720 HD. Using WMV compression in Vegas it came in at 126mB.

So I am fairly confident that yours would come in at around 350mB if you use WMV. I used the 5mbps setting, should work for you if you try it. Er, it might have been the 3mbps, cant quite remember.

Quote:

Audio: 192 Kbps, 48,000 Hz, 16 Bit, Stereo, WMA9.
Video: 25.00 fps, 1280x720, WMV V9 CBR Compression, Smoothness 90.
Use this setting for high-quality HD video playback from a local hard drive.
Matt and Dave Review our last film "Faith Hope and Charity". http://blackaceprodu...ious/Review.wma

#7 chatnoirstudios

chatnoirstudios

Director

• Pioneers
  • 120 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 11:58 PM

QUOTE (BA @ Sep 24 2009, 10:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well "Daddy is Home" is just 12.5 minutes long and 720 HD. Using WMV compression in Vegas it came in at 126mB.

So I am fairly confident that yours would come in at around 350mB if you use WMV. I used the 5mbps setting, should work for you if you try it. Er, it might have been the 3mbps, cant quite remember.

Quote:

Audio: 192 Kbps, 48,000 Hz, 16 Bit, Stereo, WMA9.
Video: 25.00 fps, 1280x720, WMV V9 CBR Compression, Smoothness 90.
Use this setting for high-quality HD video playback from a local hard drive.

I agree, you can get it around 400MB with WMV. Regarding the settings suggested. If you still have problems compressing, maybe you can try VBR instead of CBR? 3 to 4 Mbps is a good setting, IMO.

We got our 20min movie at 337MB, bit rate is about 3.2Mbps.

Chat Noir Studios online: Blog, Facebook, Twitter

#8 kv

kv

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1941 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 09:14 AM

Just upgraded my vegas Platinum to Vegas pro9, now I am trying this again see if I can get it down. I noticed that while its rendering vegas on these settings renders 25frames then pauses briefly then does another 25 etc etc, is that normal for wmv rendering? huh.gif If so this is gonna take a while blink.gif

#9 kv

kv

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1941 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 11:06 AM

Update, well that didn`t work neither sadly, the resulting file is 866mb again bigger than the 658mb original one I have. Seems nothing is gonna shrink it further blink.gif

#10 kv

kv

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1941 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 01:04 PM

Sorry for the triple post, I tried again to convert the movie using Amadis video converter using similar settings provided here, the great new was it managed to get it out at 433mb, the not so great news it that it went horribly wrong. The film starts and looks and sounds great, but less than 5 minutes in the sound does a stutter then sounds like a record deck thats just been turned off (it slows right down), after that the rest of the movie is all jerking and mess often just crashing blink.gif Never had that before huh.gif

#11 equinoxx

equinoxx

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 916 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 07:25 PM

QUOTE (kv @ Oct 9 2009, 07:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Update, well that didn`t work neither sadly, the resulting file is 866mb again bigger than the 658mb original one I have. Seems nothing is gonna shrink it further

What codec and bitrate settings are you using?
David "equinoxx" Anderson
http://www.veoh.com/...els/equinoxxent

#12 kv

kv

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1941 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 10:52 PM

I used the ones provided in this thread, not sure how it could be going wrong to be honest blink.gif

#13 chatnoirstudios

chatnoirstudios

Director

• Pioneers
  • 120 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 01:16 AM

I'm not using Sony Vegas Pro, but I'm assuming the WMV/WMA codec configuration should be similar to what I use in Adobe Premiere.

I see an option there to encode in 1 or 2 passes. To compress better, you would encode in 2 passes.

Dial down the bitrate until you get a filesize below 500MB. Also make sure you are using the WMV 9 codec.

Maybe you can show us a screenshot of your WMV encoder settings?

Chat Noir Studios online: Blog, Facebook, Twitter

#14 beliefexpand

beliefexpand

Moviegoer

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 07:56 AM

You may follow this guid to compress HD video with high quality

This guide can compress all kinds of video files like WMV, AVI,MKV, MP4, AVCHD,WTV, FLV, MPG, DV, MXF, ProRes and etc