• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JMZ

JMZ

Wannabe film-maker

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 11:06 PM

In reality I don't know how hard it would be to create this; but is there any way to get an adjustable uni-directional light prop? There are tons of lamps and accent lights in the program already as well as the lighting grid and environmental lighting controls.

I already use MS to demonstrate field of view, camera movements, depth of field and selective focus but I'd also like to use if for basic lighting. Right now I'm using the Lamp_Desk_01 prop and I'm forced to make it 435% bigger than the default size.

The follow spot is too limited and the actual studio light prop doesn't actually illuminate. I would love a studio light with variable range and intensity; even if can only adjust the main beam focus with the "gizmo". And most of the lamps spill light in 360-degrees. If I'm creating a scene that calls for hard, very directional light it's somewhat difficult to pull off.

Oh, and one more of the films from my Digital Narrative class (using MS as our platform) is ready to debut soon. More later...

#2 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 12:45 AM

that would be really nice if they could do that. I don't know if it is possible though. Glad to see you have a movie coming out. I usually use the invisible lamps for any kind of directional lighting but I keep them small and use a lot of them.

#3 kkffoo

kkffoo

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 3273 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 06:40 AM

I hope this is possible to do, sounds like a good idea.

#4 Captaintank27

Captaintank27

Upcoming director

• Staff
  • 79 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 01:36 PM

I think this is a great idea.

I know when i studied film at uni trying to explain cinematography to people seemed like a real pain for my tutor, so something like this could go a long way to help with that. Maybe splice it with footage from films with good examples of cinematography.

Can you keep me in the loop about the digital narrative class please? Sounds like something I would be interested in for a educational angle.

#5 sallyli

sallyli

Moviegoer

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:09 AM

[quote name='Captaintank27' date='Jun 14 2011, 01:36 PM' post='80305']
I think this is a great idea.

I know when i studied film at uni trying to explain cinematography to people seemed like a real pain for my tutor, so something like this could go a long way to help with that. Maybe splice it with footage from films with good examples of cinematography.

-----------------------------------------
Links removed by moderator.

#6 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5259 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:20 AM

I wonder why the Education Forum in particular attracts so many spammers?

"If we only use 1/3 of our brain, what's the other 1/3 for?"