• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 neut

neut

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 348 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 04:56 PM

Has anyone managed to get Moviestorm to work on a school network yet? if so how did you manage to do it as I'm really struggling at the moment and my students are desperate to get their films created - deadlines will be soon approaching and my a-level students need to have their films completed very soon :cry:

Any ideas ?

Neut

#2 roguevirus

roguevirus

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 703 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 08:37 PM

whats the problem ??? is the network locked i'e restrictions etc....if so just talk to the network manager

#3 neut

neut

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 348 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 08:53 PM

I've been in constant talks with the i.t dept. its nothing to do with the redtrictions of the user. Its an apparant problem amongst some school networks, with a "failed to connect message" happening everytime anyone wants to log in, regrdless of what rights anyone has on the system. Ben mentioned something about setting up a environment variable called moviestorm_profile into a directory. The i.t. dept are unsure of what to do and therefore leaving me with a suite of p.c's willing/frustrated students and no Moviestorm :cry:

#4 BA

BA

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 455 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 05:07 AM

I've been in constant talks with the i.t dept. its nothing to do with the redtrictions of the user. Its an apparant problem amongst some school networks, with a "failed to connect message" happening everytime anyone wants to log in, regrdless of what rights anyone has on the system.

neut.

No idea where you are calling from but in the Uk schools have programmable hardware firewalls that block access to undesirable content. My own company has blocked movestorm as undesirable for no reason I am aware of. The IT dept in the schools are probably not even aware that this is the case.

My suggestion is to ask them to unblock access to the IP, but as they probably do not know how to do that, approach the headmaster for information on who installed the system and ask them.

There is a reason why the IT departments in schools are useless, if you were any good at the job would you really take a job in a school ?

Therefore all School IT departments are staffed by people who could not get the job they really wanted because they were not good enough.

Just like all immigration officers are failed/want to be policemen.

Bit of politics there.

Matt and Dave Review our last film "Faith Hope and Charity". http://blackaceprodu...ious/Review.wma

#5 shiftcartoon

shiftcartoon

Moviegoer

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 06:13 AM

Possibly the governments education servers blocking the program from accessing the internet. I don't know about your country (where ever that may be), but in Australia, all school networks link up to the servers owned by the Department of Education (government managed), which then filters and manages connections and requests to internet websites or servers.

In this case, if the same in your country, these servers owned by the government have probably blocked access to MovieStorm?? You understand where I'm coming from?

Try contacting them if they have a email address, link or support line.

Good luck. smile.gif

#6 neut

neut

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 348 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 05:38 PM

Its something to do with the proxy as Moviestorm will download on the countys proxy but not on the school. the school won't switch my suite of PC's over to the county proxy due to security issues, so I'm stumped on this one.

Its really frustrating as I've sort of put all my eggs into one basket, relying on Moviestorm to teach with, and was possibly hoping to run a course after school to students/local community.

Not sure what I'm going to do :?

#7 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5373 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 07:45 AM

Good luck with your attempts Neut. I am about to try and set it up on 6 thin clients (NComputing x300 boxes) with Sandboxie software so that when Java goes nuts (as it frequently does) it won't bring all the sessions to a grinding halt.
I suspect I might hit the odd stumbling block though ;-)

"If we only use 1/3 of our brain, what's the other 1/3 for?"

#8 neut

neut

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 348 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 01:59 PM

Blood sweat and tears....finaly made it. Its not perfect but at least its on 10 machines in school and is being used almist everyday........Details to follow (once I.T. have told me how they did it)

#9 roguevirus

roguevirus

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 703 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 03:34 PM

(neut)
Blood sweat and tears....finaly made it. Its not perfect but at least its on 10 machines in school and is being used almist everyday........Details to follow (once I.T. have told me how they did it)

glad to hear you got it working ....i'm suprised no MS staff have commented here ? i can only presume they have replied otherwise?

#10 dpickett

dpickett

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 448 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 04:12 PM

Perhaps what would be good is to create a portable version? Or tell us how to do it. That way Memory Sticks could be ultilised to their full potential.
Composer, Producer
David Pickett

#11 bchtchr6

bchtchr6

Wannabe film-maker

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 10:41 PM

I've got problems getting Moviestorm to install through the firewall my school system is running. One of the questions I have is since our students each have their own individual login through windows xp, how can you install information for each student to share while making movies. The moviestorm license files, etc store in a specific profile. Would this mean as a teacher I have to buy and individual content license for each student?