Photo

Question: How do you put an imported model into your Moviestorm project?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 LeahGentle

LeahGentle

Film Critic

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 08:29 PM

I imported one of my AddOn models into Moviestorm, but I can't find it anywhere, even though according to Moviestorm it's downloaded. Where can I find it?

#2 jamoram62

jamoram62

Master Director

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 09:46 AM

Could you please elaborate on this? What addon are you talking about? By chance, one have created by yourself or one pre-existent by a third-party?

ars longa vita brevis - Hippocrates (attributed)

If you want to tell jokes then use Muvizu; if you want to make 'Movies', use iClone; but if you want to tell stories, use Moviestorm - PrimaveraNZ

Shared addons & stuff for Moviestorm: https://drive.google...aTNsSFBuN0sxZHM

#3 LeahGentle

LeahGentle

Film Critic

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 03:03 PM

Could you please elaborate on this? What addon are you talking about? By chance, one have created by yourself or one pre-existent by a third-party?

I created this addon by myself.

#4 jamoram62

jamoram62

Master Director

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 03:52 PM

Ok.  What's the content of the addon, what kind of asset (static prop, animated propr, accessory, etc)?  How did you create it?

If you don't mind and provide me with a link to the addon, I could take a look at it and try to see what's wrong or what's required to make it work.

If you want to tell jokes then use Muvizu; if you want to make 'Movies', use iClone; but if you want to tell stories, use Moviestorm - PrimaveraNZ

#5 LeahGentle

LeahGentle

Film Critic

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 05:43 PM

Ok.  What's the content of the addon, what kind of asset (static prop, animated propr, accessory, etc)?  How did you create it?

If you don't mind and provide me with a link to the addon, I could take a look at it and try to see what's wrong or what's required to make it work.

It's a model of a helmet, and I guess it would be a static prop or an accessory. I created it from an image which I converted into a model in Windows 10 3D Builder.

Here is the addon.

#6 jamoram62

jamoram62

Master Director

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 06:51 PM

Well, as for the model itself, it's a weird kind of a helmet for some weirder warrior!

Attached File  Helmet_skp_model.jpg   27.86KB   0 downloads

Regarding the question of its usage in Moviestorm, as you have said, it could be used as a static prop or a wearable accessory.

Should you be interested only in use it as a static prop, the most easy way to get it done for non-modders, it's via the Sketchup wizard importer included in the Modder's Workshop. Most of the times it makes a very sound work. Beware it only recognizes files in the Sketchup version 6 format. Please refer to the video tutorial at http://www.moviestor...mediate_modding

Creating a wearable accessory is a bit more involved, not too much (in fact, making accessories are one of the easiest routines in MS modding), but it requires some knowledge about the internals - if interested, take a look at the video tutorial at http://www.moviestor...g_2#Accessories

Anyway, if you manage to create an acceptable model of the helmet, I wouldn't mind to convert it into a wearable access for you.

#7 LeahGentle

LeahGentle

Film Critic

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 07:02 PM

Well, as for the model itself, it's a weird kind of a helmet for some weirder warrior!

attachicon.gifHelmet_skp_model.jpg

Regarding the question of its usage in Moviestorm, as you have said, it could be used as a static prop or a wearable accessory.

Should you be interested only in use it as a static prop, the most easy way to get it done for non-modders, it's via the Sketchup wizard importer included in the Modder's Workshop. Most of the times it makes a very sound work. Beware it only recognizes files in the Sketchup version 6 format. Please refer to the video tutorial at http://www.moviestor...mediate_modding

Creating a wearable accessory is a bit more involved, not too much (in fact, making accessories are one of the easiest routines in MS modding), but it requires some knowledge about the internals - if interested, take a look at the video tutorial at http://www.moviestor...g_2#Accessories

Anyway, if you manage to create an acceptable model of the helmet, I wouldn't mind to convert it into a wearable access for you.

Thank you for the offer and for the links to the tutorials! :)

#8 LeahGentle

LeahGentle

Film Critic

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 08:19 PM

Please could you give me a tutorial on how to create a wearable accessory (the video tutorial was a bit hard for me to follow; I'm just a bit slow on the uptake :))? I hope I'm not being rude, but I don't want you to make a wearable accessory for me, because I would rather learn how to make one for myself. :)

#9 jamoram62

jamoram62

Master Director

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 11:18 AM

No offense taken. In fact I'm glad you're interested in learning about modding for Moviestorm.

First things first... Have you got any background or prior experience in 3D modelling?  That would make things a lot easier...

Next, you'll need some modding tool with a minimum of capabilities. Should you own a legit licence for 3D Max, lucky you, but that's not strictly required. There are out there a few free or highly affordable excellent tools for a very reasonable price:

- FragMotion  (my first choice, if you ask me).

- Milkshape 3D - an interesting alternative, not as capable as FragMotion but still a good choice

- Misfit 3D - NOTE: If you choose to work with FragMotion, you'll need this too, in order to convert the models to the Cal3D format, Moviestorm's "native" format

Also, a basic resource you'll require for almost any modding routine in Moviestorm:

- Puppet models and skeletons for Milkshape 3D (and FragMotion)

So far, so good. Any comment?

#10 LeahGentle

LeahGentle

Film Critic

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 06:27 PM

No offense taken. In fact I'm glad you're interested in learning about modding for Moviestorm.

First things first... Have you got any background or prior experience in 3D modelling?  That would make things a lot easier...

Next, you'll need some modding tool with a minimum of capabilities. Should you own a legit licence for 3D Max, lucky you, but that's not strictly required. There are out there a few free or highly affordable excellent tools for a very reasonable price:
- FragMotion  (my first choice, if you ask me).
- Milkshape 3D - an interesting alternative, not as capable as FragMotion but still a good choice
- Misfit 3D - NOTE: If you choose to work with FragMotion, you'll need this too, in order to convert the models to the Cal3D format, Moviestorm's "native" format

Also, a basic resource you'll require for almost any modding routine in Moviestorm:
- Puppet models and skeletons for Milkshape 3D (and FragMotion)

So far, so good. Any comment?

Thank you for the links! :)

Edit: As for my experience in 3D modelling, I did try to use Blender once, but it was way too complicated for me. As such, I think I should stay away from FragMotion, Milkshape and Misfit :) Do you think you could give me a tutorial on how to make the model I created wearable for the characters in Moviestorm? The video was a bit difficult to follow; there was an 'ExportDemo' folder on the computer in the video, but there wasn't one for me in my Moviestorm folder. Do you simply create an 'ExportDemo' folder yourself, along with the other folders inside it?

Another edit: I looked at
http://www.moviestor...ng-other-models
and I think that tutorial might be easier for me to figure out. I'll give it a go. :)

Edited by LeahGentle, 31 August 2017 - 08:09 AM.

#11 jamoram62

jamoram62

Master Director

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 11:34 AM

Thank you for the links! :)

Edit: As for my experience in 3D modelling, I did try to use Blender once, but it was way too complicated for me. As such, I think I should stay away from FragMotion, Milkshape and Misfit :) Do you think you could give me a tutorial on how to make the model I created wearable for the characters in Moviestorm? The video was a bit difficult to follow; there was an 'ExportDemo' folder on the computer in the video, but there wasn't one for me in my Moviestorm folder. Do you simply create an 'ExportDemo' folder yourself, along with the other folders inside it?

I'm afraid that messing with those or any other modelling tools alike is strictly required to create any MS asset other than mere static props. For example, for creating a wearable accessory, the process is as follows:

1. In your modelling tool of choice, load the puppet model

2. Load and merge the prop model. Be sure any skeleton included with the model is deleted/not imported

3. Reposition the prop model in relation to the puppet model

4. Rig the prop mesh so every vertex is bound to a bone of the puppet, depending of the location of the prop.  Be sure every vertex is rigged and every face has a material associated

5. Export to Cal3D the prop model, including mesh, materials and textures if any

6. Create the folder hierarchy expected by Moviestorm and copy the Cal3D files in the right locations

7. In the Modder's Workshop, create the definition for the accessory from the mesh, materials and textures in steps 5 and 6

So unless you get your hands dirty with some modelling tool, you won't be able to perform steps 1-5

Another edit: I looked at
http://www.moviestor...ng-other-models
and I think that tutorial might be easier for me to figure out. I'll give it a go. :)

I'm afraid that tutorial is mostly aimed to import models created with tools other than Sketchup as static props, but it's no use for creating an accessory.

#12 LeahGentle

LeahGentle

Film Critic

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 08:27 PM

I'm afraid that messing with those or any other modelling tools alike is strictly required to create any MS asset other than mere static props. For example, for creating a wearable accessory, the process is as follows:
1. In your modelling tool of choice, load the puppet model
2. Load and merge the prop model. Be sure any skeleton included with the model is deleted/not imported
3. Reposition the prop model in relation to the puppet model
4. Rig the prop mesh so every vertex is bound to a bone of the puppet, depending of the location of the prop.  Be sure every vertex is rigged and every face has a material associated
5. Export to Cal3D the prop model, including mesh, materials and textures if any
6. Create the folder hierarchy expected by Moviestorm and copy the Cal3D files in the right locations
7. In the Modder's Workshop, create the definition for the accessory from the mesh, materials and textures in steps 5 and 6

So unless you get your hands dirty with some modelling tool, you won't be able to perform steps 1-5

I'm afraid that tutorial is mostly aimed to import models created with tools other than Sketchup as static props, but it's no use for creating an accessory.

Oh. Still, thanks for the tutorial!

Edit: Since Blender was too hard for me to understand, I'm pretty sure the other modelling tools will be as well, so it looks like I won't be using anything other than static props. I don't mind though, because at least I'll know how to import them! :)

#13 jamoram62

jamoram62

Master Director

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 11:16 AM

You're welcome.

Good luck!