• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Daveman

Daveman

Critically acclaimed

• Members
  • 197 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 06:42 PM

Just checking to see what the terms of use are on the Google 3d model Sketchup library.
I have the license for the modders workshop, but as of yet havent really explored it much. Its kind of confusing to a dim wit like me. Maybe I will learn it in time.

#2 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:50 PM

They are free to use from Sketchup Warehouse but I don't think you could use a model from there and make a Moviestorm addon and sell the addon. Whenever I have used a model from the Sketchup Warehouse, I always give credit to the modder.I don't use models from Sketchup Warehouse anymore though. I make all my own now.

#3 Daveman

Daveman

Critically acclaimed

• Members
  • 197 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 03:16 PM

QUOTE (lucindamc123 @ Sep 24 2013, 12:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They are free to use from Sketchup Warehouse but I don't think you could use a model from there and make a Moviestorm addon and sell the addon. Whenever I have used a model from the Sketchup Warehouse, I always give credit to the modder.I don't use models from Sketchup Warehouse anymore though. I make all my own now.

Thank you Lucinda. I am glad you told me. I do not want to knowingly use something I cant use commercially through pay or creative commons attribution, etc. I lose track of who made what - LOL While I may have said this before (not sure) - if you see your name in one or more of my projects that has non of your addons., it serves two purposes. #1 - you and others named have helped me by way of information -and- #2 - so that you are credited should I use your addons.

I seriously do not know if I can or will make money with my movies but should the opportunity arise, I want my bases covered and not violate anyone's rights.

I have my hands full trying to work out what I can do in Moviestorm, so learning how to use the Modders workshop will be even slower, if I can even understand it at all - lol. I heard of programs that will generate 3D models from photos - that might be a good place for ignorant people like me to start :-)

#4 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 04:09 PM

I use something in Sketchup that allows me to make models from photographs. You have to resize the photo to 910 X 910 and the Sketchup file is called Skydome Tutorial. It is really easy to do too. For things like animals and children, I erase all the areas around the child or animals and then to make the limbs curved I used curved lines in Sketchup. Buildings are easier to do as they are square.

#5 Daveman

Daveman

Critically acclaimed

• Members
  • 197 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:33 PM

QUOTE (lucindamc123 @ Sep 24 2013, 4:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I use something in Sketchup that allows me to make models from photographs. You have to resize the photo to 910 X 910 and the Sketchup file is called Skydome Tutorial. It is really easy to do too. For things like animals and children, I erase all the areas around the child or animals and then to make the limbs curved I used curved lines in Sketchup. Buildings are easier to do as they are square.

COOL! - I'll look into it. Thanks Lucinda.

#6 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 11:44 PM

QUOTE (Daveman @ Sep 24 2013, 3:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
COOL! - I'll look into it. Thanks Lucinda.

Good, let me know if you need any help using this model.

#7 ArthurVKuhrmeier

ArthurVKuhrmeier

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 492 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 01:02 AM

Hi Daveman,

this is not quite right:
QUOTE (lucindamc123 @ Sep 24 2013, 1:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They are free to use from Sketchup Warehouse but I don't think you could use a model from there and make a Moviestorm addon and sell the addon.

Just read the terms of use and you'll find the correct answer:

QUOTE (3D Warehouse)
Rights granted to other end users of the Services. You give other end users of the Services a perpetual, sublicensable, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute Existing Geolocated Models, Existing Non-Geolocated Models, New Models and related content and derivative works thereof which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services.

Link here: google 3D Warehouse - Terms of Service

The important part is: "[...] license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute [...]"

As it does not explicitly forbid the sale of derivative work you may also sell any addon created with content from the Warehouse. I guess it's more an ethical issue if you sell the work of someone else. In my opinion it depends on the work you do yourself to make the addon really good, e.g. high quality dds-textures, animations, different materials etc.

Happy modding,
Arthur smile.gif

#8 Daveman

Daveman

Critically acclaimed

• Members
  • 197 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 01:24 AM

QUOTE (ArthurVKuhrmeier @ Oct 1 2013, 1:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Daveman,

this is not quite right:

Just read the terms of use and you'll find the correct answer:

Link here: google 3D Warehouse - Terms of Service

The important part is: "[...] license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute [...]"

As it does not explicitly forbid the sale of derivative work you may also sell any addon created with content from the Warehouse. I guess it's more an ethical issue if you sell the work of someone else. In my opinion it depends on the work you do yourself to make the addon really good, e.g. high quality dds-textures, animations, different materials etc.

Happy modding,
Arthur smile.gif

Thanks Arthur. I guess I was (am) blind - haha - I called myself looking for the terms of use and it eluded me :-)
I just as a matter of coincidence downloaded Sketchup, opened it, shrieked in terror and closed it again - LoL. I'll have to get used to it, learn it. I'm a slow learner.., but I'd be happy making even basic things. I know its a bit advanced for me right now, but is making hair for the puppets possible with Sketchup?
Thanks again.
~ Dave

#9 ArthurVKuhrmeier

ArthurVKuhrmeier

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 492 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 11:48 PM

QUOTE (Daveman @ Oct 1 2013, 2:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
but is making hair for the puppets possible with Sketchup?

Basically yes -- but I don't SketchUp that well. I started out with it, too. But it's limited.

I ended up learning blender, looks tough in the beginning, but there are lots of great starter tutorials out there. And I found out that blender is very well organized which makes it easier and easier once you got used to the interface. The only problem is the missing link between blender and Moviestorm. I created my own workflow, a bit improvised, but it works.

There are other apps that you can use, just can't recall their names... unsure.gif Maybe you check out other forum posts about this matter. One problem with creating mods for the puppets is the positioning. If your mesh isn't at the right position it will be useless. But the most important thing is weighting. Hair e.g. need to be attached to the head bone. I'm not sure if Sketchup can do something like this -- I doubt it.

I can offer you this: Create a prop or hair with Sketchup and the MS importer and send me the addon. I'll check it out for you -- even (or especially) if it's not working the way you want. PM me and I'll give you my email.

Love and success,
Arthur smile.gif

#10 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 11:51 PM

I love using Sketchup and Daveman,I will be happy to help you learn how to use it. I have made loads of models with Sketchup. It is really a great program.

#11 Daveman

Daveman

Critically acclaimed

• Members
  • 197 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 03:53 AM

QUOTE (ArthurVKuhrmeier @ Oct 2 2013, 11:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Basically yes -- but I don't SketchUp that well. I started out with it, too. But it's limited.

I ended up learning blender, looks tough in the beginning, but there are lots of great starter tutorials out there. And I found out that blender is very well organized which makes it easier and easier once you got used to the interface. The only problem is the missing link between blender and Moviestorm. I created my own workflow, a bit improvised, but it works.

There are other apps that you can use, just can't recall their names... unsure.gif Maybe you check out other forum posts about this matter. One problem with creating mods for the puppets is the positioning. If your mesh isn't at the right position it will be useless. But the most important thing is weighting. Hair e.g. need to be attached to the head bone. I'm not sure if Sketchup can do something like this -- I doubt it.

I can offer you this: Create a prop or hair with Sketchup and the MS importer and send me the addon. I'll check it out for you -- even (or especially) if it's not working the way you want. PM me and I'll give you my email.

Love and success,
Arthur smile.gif

Thanks Arthur. Yeah - I downloaded Blender.., still havent gotten my feet wet with it or Sketchup yet. I have to make myself have time to go through some of the tutorials. At this point in time I'll work with the basics, but will need a mentor on the more elaborate stuff like the puppets and hair and all that jazz.

I glanced at a tutorial on exporting some stuff to Moviestorm., but nothing like hair. I did see one tutorial where this guy is making hair - but the hair moves. As I understand it, Moviestorm cant handle moving hair? Seems like I read that in the forums.

I have to get the terminology locked into my thick skulll as well. Thanks for offering an advising hand. I'm sure I will need it.

~ Dave

#12 Daveman

Daveman

Critically acclaimed

• Members
  • 197 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 03:57 AM

QUOTE (lucindamc123 @ Oct 2 2013, 11:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I love using Sketchup and Daveman,I will be happy to help you learn how to use it. I have made loads of models with Sketchup. It is really a great program.

Thanks Lucinda. I noticed a few tutorials on working with Sketchup and exporting/importing to MS. I'm kind of lost on where to get free legal textures though. From the looks of things I will need to build a small library of textures.., houses, stores, etc.

I want to build GORT, Klatu and the saucer really bad - LOL. I'm anxious to do a "Day the Earth Stood Still" parody.:-)
Yeah - I am will be sure to check with you on some things with Sketchup. Its all greek to me at this point in time. LOL

~ Dave

#13 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5373 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 05:14 AM

QUOTE (Daveman @ Oct 3 2013, 3:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks Lucinda. I noticed a few tutorials on working with Sketchup and exporting/importing to MS.

Did you see Chris' tutorial here? :- http://www.moviestor...;showtopic=8945

"If we only use 1/3 of our brain, what's the other 1/3 for?"

#14 Daveman

Daveman

Critically acclaimed

• Members
  • 197 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 05:26 AM

QUOTE (primaveranz @ Oct 3 2013, 5:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Did you see Chris' tutorial here? :- http://www.moviestor...;showtopic=8945

Cool! Thanks. No I have not seen it before. I downloaded the files just now.

#15 alonzo11208

alonzo11208

Master Director

• Members
  • 360 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 12:24 AM

QUOTE (Daveman @ Oct 3 2013, 1:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cool! Thanks. No I have not seen it before. I downloaded the files just now.

http://www.moviestorm.co.uk/forums/index.p...ps+tricks\
Shadows of Fire
Shadows of Fire Encyclopedia

Creater of Shadows of Fire