• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Daneel

Daneel

Novice director

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 08:41 AM

The title says it all really. Are there any plans for a 64 bit version of Moviestorm? Surely it would make sense given the current limitation (4gb max) on RAM of any 32 bit software and the fact that Moviestorm is super heavy on our RAM. I currently have 16gb of RAM installed and 3/4 of it is sitting there unused while Moviestorm is screaming 'out of RAM' warnings at me.

#2 coxs

coxs

Film Critic

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 04:46 PM

I agree would make the program run more smoothly when dealing with complex sets and scenes

#3 jamoram62

jamoram62

Master Director

• Members
  • 544 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 06:06 PM

This is a recurrent topic in the forums. In view of the evolutive support given lately to MS, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a 64bit version. In a recent post in another thread, someone talking on behalf of the company staff has stated they're not orphaning MS, but they are involved in another project and their priorities have changed.

Further, to get a 64-bit version implemented some issues with the 3rd-party libraries should be fixed before, as noted by Ben_S here.

In the past I made some experimentation trying to make Moviestorm a "Large Address Aware" application and then execute it in a special JRockit implementation of the JVM (Java Virtual Machine), in order to get some extra memory available in the Virtual Address Space, but for some unknown reason (DRM protection?) it failed to initialize.

Finally, a more techy discussion about the memory available to Java applications and 32-bit JVM running on a 64-bit OS can be found here.

EDIT: on the other hand, the last update of MS included a much needed optimization regarding the usage of memory thru a lazy initialization and loading of the meshes in the addons, ie, meshes are not mapped into the application memory space until the props are actually used or referenced in the current movie for the first time.

ars longa vita brevis - Hippocrates (attributed)

If you want to tell jokes then use Muvizu; if you want to make 'Movies', use iClone; but if you want to tell stories, use Moviestorm - PrimaveraNZ

Shared addons & stuff for Moviestorm: https://drive.google...aTNsSFBuN0sxZHM

#4 headrushindi

headrushindi

Wannabe film-maker

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 12:41 AM

I am guessing that moviestorm is all downhill from here ..looks like a good idea has been abandoned ..Guess I will have to start learning ICLONE

#5 jamoram62

jamoram62

Master Director

• Members
  • 544 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 06:44 PM

I am guessing that moviestorm is all downhill from here ..looks like a good idea has been abandoned ..Guess I will have to start learning ICLONE

It's just a question of expectations.

In its current state, Moviestorm is a very capable and powerful tool to create animated movies, quick, easy and funny to use, with an user interface and a workflow much better in my opinion than those of other similar tools. As a matter of fact, it actually fulfills most of my needs and requirements, though I am quite aware of its shortcomings. Too bad, I'm also painfully aware that, most probably, it won't get a major upgrade any time soon, if ever.

iClone is undeniably an incredibly much more powerful tool, but it has a devilishly steep learning curve, requires a much more powerful machine (especially a decent GPU and plenty of VRAM) to perform reasonably well in complex scenes, and a big fat wallet. I've got iClone 6.5 Pro plus 3DXchange Pro and Character Creator 1,5, and do like them all a lot and plan to upgrade to the next version when available, but, honestly, as of today I do get much more fun creating with Moviestorm. But this is just a purely subjective opinion, so you're free to disregard it without remorse.

PS: BTW, there are other options out there: Muvizu, Plotagon, you name it,... Even 'The Movies' is currently and widely used, with lots of mods available for free, in spite of having received absolutely no official support for 7-8 years now.

If you want to tell jokes then use Muvizu; if you want to make 'Movies', use iClone; but if you want to tell stories, use Moviestorm - PrimaveraNZ

#6 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5175 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 07:33 PM

I agree with jamoram, in fact I am making a couple of Moviestorm movies at the moment after a couple of years break. I have iClone too and (like I suspect 95% of people who buy it) I have never made a movie with it. It is hugely capable, has some really great benefits (like the ease of adding in animated props) and in the right hands can do amazing things but it is just too hard to do a lot of the things we take for granted in MS.

The company that made "The Movies" went belly up years ago and yet there are still people cranking out some really good things with it. 

I have Muvizu too and, although it is really limited to humorous cartoons and you can't make your own character animations for it, it has an enthusiastic group of forum users who find workarounds to these limitations.

MS will continue to work until Microsoft does something stupid and makes it incompatible with its operating system. All we are missing here is that core group of enthusiastic users.

"If we only use 1/3 of our brain, what's the other 1/3 for?"

#7 EugeneE

EugeneE

Master Director

• Members
  • 410 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 09:59 PM

I agree with jamoram, in fact I am making a couple of Moviestorm movies at the moment after a couple of years break. I have iClone too and (like I suspect 95% of people who buy it) I have never made a movie with it. It is hugely capable, has some really great benefits (like the ease of adding in animated props) and in the right hands can do amazing things but it is just too hard to do a lot of the things we take for granted in MS.

The company that made "The Movies" went belly up years ago and yet there are still people cranking out some really good things with it. 

I have Muvizu too and, although it is really limited to humorous cartoons and you can't make your own character animations for it, it has an enthusiastic group of forum users who find workarounds to these limitations.

MS will continue to work until Microsoft does something stupid and makes it incompatible with its operating system. All we are missing here is that core group of enthusiastic users.

I have to agree here. I have Iclone 5.5.1 standard, got it for free thru a 3D World promotion a few years ago. Iclone is hugely capable but the main problem is that it has a high learning curve, while with Moviestorm, it's easy to use just not as robost as Iclone.

And it's great that over 10+ years later that people are still making Movies with The Movies. Didn't know that Lionhead shutdown, just look at wikipedia and found out that Microsoft shut it down in April 2016.

#8 rollasoc

rollasoc

Film Critic

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 02:03 PM

Made my first movies, with "The movies" such fun.

Have recently, been using Muvizu, since easier to use than Moviestorm, been worried about the lack of updates for Moviestorm and Muvizu was still being updated.  Saying that, I think the things I have learnt from Muvizu will help me speed up my Moviestorm work.

Just heard today Muvizu is no more.  Company has gone into administration.

(http://muvizu.com/Fo...nouncement.aspx)

So sad.  So might be back to Moviestorm for a bit.

For my music
http://www.hairthieves.com

For my photography
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rollasoc
(my main site is down for maintenance)

For videos
http://www.youtube.c...tXQGheaHEqLz-Q/

#9 jamoram62

jamoram62

Master Director

• Members
  • 544 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 05:21 PM

Have recently, been using Muvizu, since easier to use than Moviestorm, been worried about the lack of updates for Moviestorm and Muvizu was still being updated.  Saying that, I think the things I have learnt from Muvizu will help me speed up my Moviestorm work.

Just heard today Muvizu is no more.  Company has gone into administration.

(http://muvizu.com/Fo...nouncement.aspx)

So sad.  So might be back to Moviestorm for a bit.

Really sad news. A few days ago I was told about the critical situation of Digimania and Muvizu, and could hardly believe it. Well, now there is an official announcement so we must face the fact that Muvizu is not anymore, as harsh as it can be.

So welcome back to Moviestorm's realm. Somehow we're still here. Any help you could require, don't be shy to ask.

#10 EugeneE

EugeneE

Master Director

• Members
  • 410 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 06:39 PM

I only played around with Muvizu a few times. It's sad that it's gone and it's not the first time that it happened. In my off and on years of animation, I've seen animation programs come and go. We lost Antics 3D, Zencube3d, Xtranormal, 3D Sci-fi movie maker (offical page of company is gone) and maybe other animation programs.

While Lionhead Studios, the creator of The Movies is gone, people are to this day, still making movies with The Movies and the Stunt and effects expansion pack.

Moviestorm is still around, even though, the forums and website isn't as active as it used to be considering that some of the older users like Lucinda McNary has been gone for years. Even people who posted and made many videos such as raptor, Jorge Campos, etc are gone also. , Iclone is still around. Some Moviestorm users such as Damien Valentine and a few others have gone to Iclone. Damien Valentine has a great webseries called Chronicles Of Humanity at http://chroniclesofhumanity.com/, it's a 4 season webshow. Seasons 1-3 filmed in Moviestorm, season 4 filmed in Iclone.