14 replies to this topic

#1 Akcel

Akcel

Moviegoer

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 11:20 AM

Hello,

I just discovered Moviestorm by chance and it seems very nice.

On the other hand when you start digging you realize that the software seems dead.

I hesitate between iClone 7 (coming soon) and Moviestorm.

The problem is that I read on the forums that the development team
"abandons" Moviestorm for three years!

When I read this, I almost fell back! Besides that, we have Reallusion that
comes out iClone 7, Crazytalk Animator 3, Crazytalk 8 ...

My question is simple, is it still worth buying Moviestorm in 2017
knowing that it will almost never be updated and that no content will be further developed for him?

Thanks for your clarification :)

#2 aroundworld

aroundworld

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 869 posts
  • Interests:Film - writing - directing - aviation - traveling - machinema - reading - acting -

Posted 19 February 2017 - 02:19 PM

Hi Akcel,

Welcome!  My personal opinion, is yes! I would still buy moviestorm. The ease of use and speed with which you can develop films is unequaled.  And I don't think the developers would keep the lights on this long if they weren't working to present an update. I'm using MS to develop a short film now. And the speed that I have been able to build the sets and the abundance of available props has made this possible. If you're just beginning in animation, I think MS is a great place to start.

I hope that helps!

Cheers,

Steve A

There is no try, only do or do not.

Learn story telling in the MOVIESTORM education forum. 

START HERE:  http://www.moviestor...showtopic=13153

#3 Akcel

Akcel

Moviegoer

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 04:09 PM

Thank you for the welcoming Steve :)

Yes, I am a novice in animation. I think I'll try the 14-day trial version.

On the other hand, I still have a bit of trouble understanding how
to get extra content that is not on the Moviestorm marketplace
but it may come after one thing at a time.

Thanks !

#4 Nahton

Nahton

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 915 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 04:42 PM

Hi Akcel,

I'm not sure if you can use extra content on the trial. I seem to remember a limitation on trial version. Perhaps others can confirm. 

Whether it is worth it or not can be a dilemma. The developers have promised that if they ceased to support the engine it would remain functional for those that purchased a perpetual license. I'm not an expert enough on iClone to comment on the value of the different packages available in the version 7 pre-release packages they are offering at the moment in terms of what you need to spend to get to a level that offers the same features as Moviestorm. From what I've read, it is challenging to learn and Moviestorm  provides a much easier out of the box production process. 

#5 Akcel

Akcel

Moviegoer

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 08:36 PM

It is true that iClone is not easy to take in hand because I already tested a little.

Thanks for the clarification anyway.
I'll come back and tell you what it's all about.

#6 Akcel

Akcel

Moviegoer

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 10:06 AM

Small bracket but does anyone know how to change the colors of the
software interface because the white font on a gray background does not suit me at all.

This gets me in the use of the software.

I checked in the settings but I did not find anything about it.

Thanks for your help

#7 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5175 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 08:03 PM

I am not aware of any built-in adjustment Akcel.
Perhaps adjusting the "Ease of Access" settings on your PC might help e.g. changing Contrast etc.?

"If we only use 1/3 of our brain, what's the other 1/3 for?"

#8 Akcel

Akcel

Moviegoer

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 10:14 AM

I am not aware of any built-in adjustment Akcel.
Perhaps adjusting the "Ease of Access" settings on your PC might help e.g. changing Contrast etc.?

Thanks for the advice, I had not thought about it. I managed to make the font more readable but the problem is that it affects the entire screen.

Which means that even the scene changes color, this is obviously not what I want.

Moreover, I received an email from the support that informs me that the development of the software is not stopped but just "idle" so I took the opportunity to ask them if in the next update, they could do somethings about the colors and fonts of writing.

In the meantime I will unfortunately not buy it because I can not use it correctly :(

Thank you for all your advice and information!

#9 jamoram62

jamoram62

Master Director

• Members
  • 544 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 04:26 PM

I received an email from the support that informs me that the development of the software is not stopped but just "idle" ...

Hope not in the same way as granny's been "idling" over the last 35+ years...

ars longa vita brevis - Hippocrates (attributed)

If you want to tell jokes then use Muvizu; if you want to make 'Movies', use iClone; but if you want to tell stories, use Moviestorm - PrimaveraNZ

Shared addons & stuff for Moviestorm: https://drive.google...aTNsSFBuN0sxZHM

#10 rip

rip

Wannabe film-maker

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 11:19 PM

More and more Unity seems to be an interesting choice. Free, lots of assets, including those for filmmakers. I think they added a timeline feature recently so it's going to be more and more useful as an animation studio. It's much more difficult but at least you know it has future and it can look really good. Moviestorm is ok if you don't mind your movie will look like a game from 2004.

#11 jamoram62

jamoram62

Master Director

• Members
  • 544 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 08:38 AM

More and more Unity seems to be an interesting choice. Free, lots of assets, including those for filmmakers. I think they added a timeline feature recently so it's going to be more and more useful as an animation studio. It's much more difficult but at least you know it has future and it can look really good. Moviestorm is ok if you don't mind your movie will look like a game from 2004.

Moviestorm will have the future we users choose, The Movies, though not originally conceived nor designed as a animation tool, in spite of being older and inferior to Moviestorm from a point of view of their usability and flexibility, still enjoys a rather active and large user base.

Besides, using Moviestorm won't detract you from using other animation tools. Furthermore, I think most of the people interested in animation and machinima use more than one platform.

And no, I don't care about the retro look: I care about good stories. If the main reason to switch to another animation platform are the visuals, take into account that what is current state-of-the art graphics will look horribly outdated in, say, five years. On the other hand, a good story, especially if joined by a good production (direction, camera, lighting) work, will be fully appreciated not matter the time since it was created. Unless you refuse on principle to watch any B&W film because they look oldish.

Now if you're telling me Moviestorm suffers from a number of technical shortcomings, I'll agreed there's room for a good deal of improvements: maximum memory address space available, keyframing of animations, lighting system, ..., you name it.

But again, the decision is up to you.

If you want to tell jokes then use Muvizu; if you want to make 'Movies', use iClone; but if you want to tell stories, use Moviestorm - PrimaveraNZ

#12 jamoram62

jamoram62

Master Director

• Members
  • 544 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 08:41 AM

Moviestorm will have the future we users choose, The Movies, though not originally conceived nor designed as a animation tool, in spite of being older and inferior to Moviestorm from a point of view of their usability and flexibility, still enjoys a rather active and large user base.

Look at what has made one macwemyss, a fellow in the TMU forums, with such an old and theorically outdated animation platform as 'The Movies'. Somehow he's managed to devise a workaround to increase significantly the final graphics quality of  the output.

Not that I'm suggesting to use The Movies instead of Moviestorm. I still like better MS, but I'm envious of The Movies community's health and enthusiasm.

#13 kkffoo

kkffoo

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 3261 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 11:31 AM

Just watching this film made using the movies http://movies.tmunde...watch/wolfcreek . Posted two weeks ago, It looks amazing.

The movies is officially dead and gone, but the wonderful movies keep coming, and the modding innovations.

#14 Nahton

Nahton

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 915 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 11:52 AM

Does Unity have a forum or central location to learn about it? I'm just curious as I've never investigated it. 

For me, Moviestorm provides the the right balance of ease, speed and versatility. I don't think it's going anywhere for a while. There are still a few modders out there willing to add to the assets so as long as the application is ours to own as promised and the ability to function is not somehow disabled or reliant on being validated against a non-existent server it can survive as it is kind of is now, without developer support.

Who knows, if the developers abandon it and release the source code it could even get better with a open source model of development. 

#15 EugeneE

EugeneE

Master Director

• Members
  • 410 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 08:09 PM

That's amazing that considering that The Movies is almost 14 years old and does have limitations compared to Moviestorm and even Iclone, it's great that people are still creating movies in it. People are making movies in the software and even pushing the technology of it but it's great. 

It doesn't matter who old the software is or if it has limitations, it's what the people accomplish with the software which is the most important thing. I've seen great videos coming out of The Movies and it's great considering the age of the program. Moviestorm has limitations also but it has also been used to make great videos.