A few questions

primaveranz
post Dec 2 2009, 4:54 AM
Post #1

Master Director
Group Icon

Group: Pioneers
Member No.: 2,534

Hi can anyone fill in these gaps for me? Some are things I have assumed but now have doubts about, some I just dinnae ken, ye ken.

Does typing text into the dialogue box actually help to improve the Lip Synch?

What is the difference between clicking on the selected actor and choosing "Say" as opposed to clicking on another actor and choosing "Say to"? I have been assuming that the former causes other actors to look at the speaker and the second to cause the speaker to look at the person they are addressing - but it doesn't always seem to work like that.

Do wind strength and direction do anything yet?

In the Cutting room:-

What is the difference between the Titles Customizer and the Credits Customizer? They seem to be interchangeable.

Do "Select all activities from the current point" and "Group or ungroup the selected activities" do anything in 1.2?

In the Publisher's View:-

In Custom render option there are two settings "Start Time" and "End Time". What are they for?

Cheers.

--------------------
"I have had the same problem with getting the wheels to rotate properly with animated cars. They have to be all the same size and round and that helps a bit." America's Top Modder.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
kv
post Dec 2 2009, 9:19 AM
Post #2

Master Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,849

I can answer a couple of these for you.

As far as I can tell typing text in the dialogue box does not improve lip synch, I believe entering text there is for your reference only, ie: know exactly what should be said at that time. I hardly ever fill it in and lip synch has always worked fine for me.

The difference between "Say" and "Say to" is
"Say" the actor is not speaking to a particular person and therefore does not get a particular persons attention.

"Say to" is when that person is actually speaking to someone, this does not make the speaker face that person, instead it makes the person thats being spoken to look at the person who is speaking. When that person has finished speaking the one that was spoken to generally stops looking at them automatically.

The wind really only takes effect on trees that I am aware of, if you increase it you notice the trees sway more and sometimes faster, the direction of the wind causes the trees to sway in different directions.

I have not used MS Titles and Credits customiser so can`t help there.

I am not sure about "Select all activities from the current point" and "Group or ungroup the selected activities".

The settings "Start Time" and "End Time" in the rendering view allow you to choose between the points you want rendered, ie: you made a five minute clip but do not want the first 1 minute or the last 1 minute to be rendered you would put 1 min for the start and 4 min for the end. MS would then only render that 3 minute selection rather than the whole clip.

Hope this helps, anyone please feel free to fill in the blanks.

--------------------

+Quote Post
primaveranz
post Dec 2 2009, 10:58 AM
Post #3

Master Director
Group Icon

Thanks for the repy kv.
QUOTE (kv @ Dec 2 2009, 08:19 PM) *
"Say" the actor is not speaking to a particular person and therefore does not get a particular persons attention.

I don't think this is quite right because if I just put two people on a stage and order one to "say" something, the other automatically looks at them - maybe it depends on whether you have allowed improvs? Come to think of it where do you do that in 1.2? It doesn't seem to be in the script editor any more.<EDIT> oops! yes it is</EDIT>

The wind really only takes effect on trees that I am aware of, if you increase it you notice the trees sway more and sometimes faster, the direction of the wind causes the trees to sway in different directions.

The only thing I had noticed with trees (and houseplants! ) in 1.1.6 was that if you switched shaders on they swayed and if you switch it off they stopped! I'll have to take a closer look at 1.2 wink.gif

The settings "Start Time" and "End Time" in the rendering view allow you to choose between the points you want rendered, ie: you made a five minute clip but do not want the first 1 minute or the last 1 minute to be rendered you would put 1 min for the start and 4 min for the end. MS would then only render that 3 minute selection rather than the whole clip.

Thanks for that! Anyone know the answers to the other ones?

--------------------
"I have had the same problem with getting the wheels to rotate properly with animated cars. They have to be all the same size and round and that helps a bit." America's Top Modder.

+Quote Post
kv
post Dec 2 2009, 11:14 AM
Post #4

Master Director
Group Icon

QUOTE (primaveranz @ Dec 2 2009, 10:58 AM) *
Thanks for the repy kv.

I don't think this is quite right because if I just put two people on a stage and order one to "say" something, the other automatically looks at them - maybe it depends on whether you have allowed improvs? Come to think of it where do you do that in 1.2? It doesn't seem to be in the script editor any more.<EDIT> oops! yes it is</EDIT>

Yeah pretty much all the cast look at someone talking if "auto look" (I think its called that) is enabled, its right next to "generate improvisations" in the Mood settings. Disabling auto look should stop them looking at the person who is talking, in most cases I have that disabled aswell as the generate improvisations to prevent undesirable and sometimes unpredictable actions.

--------------------

+Quote Post
primaveranz
post Dec 2 2009, 11:21 AM
Post #5

Master Director
Group Icon

QUOTE (kv @ Dec 2 2009, 10:14 PM) *
Yeah pretty much all the cast look at someone talking if "auto look" (I think its called that) is enabled, its right next to "generate improvisations" in the Mood settings. Disabling auto look should stop them looking at the person who is talking, in most cases I have that disabled aswell as the generate improvisations to prevent undesirable and sometimes unpredictable actions.

Ah that answers one of my other questions i.e. what are "Look Ats?". Thanks again!

--------------------

+Quote Post
primaveranz
post Dec 3 2009, 4:44 AM
Post #6

Master Director
Group Icon

Another question:-

In the "Ambient Sounds Editor" in the "Set Workshop View" there is a slider labelled "Repeats" if you hover th emouse over it the pop up actually says frequency but I am at a loss as to what function it serves. If you have it at the extreme left you can hear the chosen sound but as you move it to the right you go through phases of it being silent and then coming back. Is it to do with how often the sound is played during a particular period?

--------------------

+Quote Post
kv
post Dec 3 2009, 8:48 AM
Post #7

Master Director
Group Icon

Yes that controls how often the sound loops, the less the frequency you set the more longer the gaps between when the sound is played again.

--------------------

+Quote Post
primaveranz
post Dec 3 2009, 8:57 AM
Post #8

Master Director
Group Icon

Thanks again kv!

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: