8 replies to this topic

#1 jamoram62

jamoram62

Master Director

• Members
  • 874 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 07:47 PM

Hi,

I've recently got the Sony Movie Studio 12 HD Platinum Suite from Amazon at a very interesting price. Many years ago I used an old version of this application for some video edition projects and had a good experience with it.

The question is I needed to use the Sony MS to get some postproduction work done, and it really fills the bill. My problems arise when rendering the edited movie: I've tried each and every codec, at insane bit rates and maximizing every setting that contributes to quality, using 2 passes encoding, ... You tell it. In spite of all my efforts, the quality is, from my point of view, miserable: blocking in large smooth areas of similar colour, blurring, etc.

So any hint from anyone using this suite will be really appreciated. Thanks a bunch in advance.

ars longa vita brevis - Hippocrates (attributed)

If you want to tell jokes then use Muvizu; if you want to make 'Movies', use iClone; but if you want to tell stories, use Moviestorm - PrimaveraNZ

Shared addons & stuff for Moviestorm: https://drive.google...aTNsSFBuN0sxZHM

#2 pedrosura

pedrosura

Master Director

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 10:04 PM

I use Sony vegas, not Studio but there are a couple of things that I ran into. 1) Disablue GPU acceleration on the Preferences page. 2) Make sure your graphics card is updated and you have recent codecs 3) Make sure your card is set to run Movie Studio. 

My two cents, good luck...

#3 BrianGray

BrianGray

Critically acclaimed

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 10:58 PM

I use all the Sony products too. Your right GREAT price for them at Amazon. I had to do a few things as pedrosura said. I all so downloaded K-Lite Codec Pack from http://www.codecguide.comI actually sent a small video and my computer specs to SONY SUPPORT and they sent back a great render and specs. Sony can be very helpful sometimes. Hope this helps.

P.S. Check out Render Options in our Support Forums

Brian

#4 jamoram62

jamoram62

Master Director

• Members
  • 874 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 05:28 PM

Thank you both very much, Pedro and Brian.

I use Sony vegas, not Studio but there are a couple of things that I ran into. 1) Disablue GPU acceleration on the Preferences page. 2) Make sure your graphics card is updated and you have recent codecs 3) Make sure your card is set to run Movie Studio. 

My two cents, good luck...

Sony Movie Studio, I think, it's their new brand name for the old Sony Vegas version targeted to the amateur. I saw the comparison table and the Movie Studio satisfies my video editing requirements. And the Pro version is far more expensive (Movie Studio 13 Suite - 130.95€ vs Vegas Pro Edit - 371.95€).

That point you made about disabling GPU acceleration intrigues me. I've seen some videos in youtube, in relation to the MainConcept AAC/AVC codec, recommending to use only the CPU to render.

About the graphics card, is based on a GTX560, and according to the research I made, it seems to be more than suitable to run the application. And I checked the driver version and is A-OK too.

I use all the Sony products too. Your right GREAT price for them at Amazon. I had to do a few things as pedrosura said. I all so downloaded K-Lite Codec Pack from http://www.codecguide.comI actually sent a small video and my computer specs to SONY SUPPORT and they sent back a great render and specs. Sony can be very helpful sometimes. Hope this helps.

P.S. Check out Render Options in our Support Forums

Brian

Yeah, I got the Suite edition last January for 56.50€ in Amazon.es, a bargain price I couldn't resist.

About, installing codec packs, I'm a bit cautious, and install only what is really needed. I'm considering to install maybe a HuffYUV 64 bit codec or the WebM (VP8) 1.2.0 32 bit version, installed under WoW64, since Sony Vegas can't import movies using those encoding schemas, and avoiding any intermediate conversion is a must. Since I'm running the 64 bit version, it doesn't recognize 32 bit codecs.

Also, I've searched in the Sony forums, but I haven't found any really helping hint. Nevertheless, I'll try to look further, and specifically for recommended rendering options.

If you want to tell jokes then use Muvizu; if you want to make 'Movies', use iClone; but if you want to tell stories, use Moviestorm - PrimaveraNZ

#5 BrianGray

BrianGray

Critically acclaimed

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 06:34 PM

I'm (OCD) critical about anything that goes on my main computer. I test everything on my laptop before I install it on main editing system. A few other movie people I know and myself have had no problems with the 64 bit K-Lite codec software to date. I talked to Sony Support at first of year and was told their working on a couple new 64 bit codecs Windows 10 compatible. I've found that the codec used is a bigger factor than GPU/CPU Render. I've been lucky I can use GPU Acceleration with Moviestorm and iClone 6 but not always within Muvizu+, not sure why. Like to know what codec you come up with so please post it here. Thanks.

Brian

#6 jamoram62

jamoram62

Master Director

• Members
  • 874 posts

Posted 21 June 2015 - 02:16 PM

Ok, this is my workflow:

1) Rendering movies in Moviestorm: 1280x720 (720p), 25 fps (PAL), encoded with WebM (VP8) @ 5Mbps. Even at 2Mbps, results are acceptable for at 720p-25fps. Con: Sony Vegas doesn't recognize VP8-encoded movies.See screenshot:

[attachment=2698:01 MS_WebM.jpg]

I've used also MSMPEG2 @ 6Mbps and there are not remarkable differences with WebM. Its main advantage is Windows supports this encoding without the need of any third party codecs and/or applications to display. Too bad, Sony Vegas, much to my surprise, doesn't recognize the enconding, not at least inside an AVI container.

[attachment=2699:01a MS_MSMPEG2.jpg]

HuffYUV, being a lossless encoding schema could be an option, but it renders huge files (5-10 GB per minute) and it's not supported by Sony Vegas, though there is available a 64 bit codec, so it can't be discarded for short projects.

2) As Sony Vegas/Movie Studio 12 (SV12) doesn't import directly movies created in Moviestorm, they need to be converted. I've been using Any Video Converter. I've found that the only templates that are correctly recognized by SV12 and give the better results are those:

* Customized WMV
            Video size:    1280x720
            Quality: High
        Video:
            WMV V9
            Video Bitrate: 15000

An WebM video reencoded with this template:

[attachment=2700:02 MS_WebM - AVC_WMV.jpg]

And a HuffYUV output reencoded with the same template:

[attachment=2701:02b MS_HuffYUV - AVC_WMV.jpg]

* MPEG-II Movie
            Video size:    1280x720
            Quality: High
        Video:
            mpeg2video
            Video Bitrate: 9800
            Frame: 25
            Video aspect: auto
            Encode pass: 2
        Audio:
            MP2
            44100/48000

Other encoding templates also work, but for some reason, when importing into SV12 the length of the video stream is altered, sometimes doubling its duration, sometimes shortening.

3) To render with Sony Vegas the edited movie, I use either:
    MainConcept AVC/AAC: Custom Internet HD 720p:
        Profile High
        25 fps
        Two pass, VBR: average 14Mbps, max 20Mbps
        Use deblocking filter
        Render using CPU only
        Format: MP4
        Project Video rendering quality: Best

MainConcept MPEG-2: Custom HDV 720p-25
        25 fps
        Video quality: 31 (maximum)
        VBR, 2 pass, min 15Mbps, Max 20Mbps

Sony AVC: Custom Internet 1280x720-25fps
        Video format: AVC
        Profile High
        25 fps
        Bit rate 16 Mbps
        Render using CPU only
        Format: MP4

Also, when rendering with any of the MainConcept codecs, level luminance correction is required, the Sony Level filter ("Computer RGB to Studio RGB" setting) is usually required.

And this is a snapshot of the video as rendered by SV12 (MainConcept AVC/AAC, Custom Internet HD 720p):

[attachment=2702:03 MS_WebM_SVout.jpg]

and with the MainConcept MPEG-2: Custom HDV 720p-25 template:

[attachment=2703:03 MS_WebM_SVout2.jpg]

After performing multiple tests, in my experience, the intermediate conversion seems to be the main source of degradation in the quality of the video, so it would be highly desirable to import into Sony Vegas directly from the Moviestorm output. There's no easy way to get this accomplished, since it would require either:
1) More choices in Moviestorm regarding the encoding/container used for rendering
2) Installing third party codecs that are recognized by Sony Vegas Movie Studio. The problem is AFAIK there is no VP8 codec available for 64 bit systems.

#7 BrianGray

BrianGray

Critically acclaimed

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 03:13 AM

Hi jamoram62...

I'm going to try to contact the tech at Sony that helps me occasionally with my Sony Products. I'm trying to get more info on the codec (Windows 10 Compatible) he mentioned a few months back. Do you mind if I share your situation and specs with him? I'll share any info with you and all the Moviestorm neighborhood.

Brian

#8 jamoram62

jamoram62

Master Director

• Members
  • 874 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 05:23 PM

Hi jamoram62...

I'm going to try to contact the tech at Sony that helps me occasionally with my Sony Products. I'm trying to get more info on the codec (Windows 10 Compatible) he mentioned a few months back. Do you mind if I share your situation and specs with him? I'll share any info with you and all the Moviestorm neighborhood.

Brian

Hi Brian.

Many thanks for your interest and my apologies for the delay; had some health concerns these days.

Of course I don't mind. But after a lot of further tests, my conclusion is not Sony's fault but the intermediate conversion between Moviestorm and Sony Movie Studio/Vegas.

The best results are obtained by MS rendering into MSMPEG @6 Mbps in an AVI container and converting into M-JPEG, also in an AVI container, at the maximum bit rate and quality availables.

An even better choice would be to directly import into Sony Vegas a movie encoded with the HuffYUV algorithm by MS, but I need to install the 64-bit HuffYUV codec, then check whether Sony Vegas recognizes it and whether it likes HuffYUV-encoded videos in AVI containers at all, since Sony Vegas is a bit picky with AVI files.

#9 BrianGray

BrianGray

Critically acclaimed

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 03:19 AM

Hello jamorama62...

Quick question. Have you tried saving your Moviestorm movie as an IMAGE SEQUENCE (jpeg or png)? These will load into all Sony Video Editors with no middle converting. 

Brian

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users