4 replies to this topic

#1 jamoram62

jamoram62

Master Director

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 10:49 AM

Hi

I'm in the process of creating some invisible sittable props in order to be used in conjunction with third party ones that, at least theorically should have this attibute. By using the information in an old thread, I've managed to create and make work two variants of an invisible chair (well, a cube in fact) with the SITTING attribute defined, that enables the "ask question" postures, but not other I'm interested in, such as those available for sofas and other categories of sittings.

I've tried to use other related attributes, but what I get are some weird effects. Is there any reference available for the use of these attributes? Thank you.

[attachment=2653:Invisible_Chair-Director's_View.jpg]

[attachment=2654:Invisible_Chair-Camerawork_View.jpg]

[attachment=2655:JAMM_Misc2.addon]

ars longa vita brevis - Hippocrates (attributed)

If you want to tell jokes then use Muvizu; if you want to make 'Movies', use iClone; but if you want to tell stories, use Moviestorm - PrimaveraNZ

Shared addons & stuff for Moviestorm: https://drive.google...aTNsSFBuN0sxZHM

#2 daleh

daleh

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 810 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 07:03 PM

pretty sure you cannot, as the additional posture options available when your actor sits down is dependant on which of the MS Sitting postures a particular chair uses, and that is controled by the position/name of the chairs sitting bones

I think if, I remember right, there are 3 sitting types:

Sitting low for sofas, low chairs and beds (also maybe some Garden Wall props from one of the garden/foilege addons)

Sitting High for Highback chairs and stuff like the office chair

and Sitting Stool for, err, wel lthe various Stools!

So depending on which of these types of chairs your actor sits on will determine, along with what addon packs you own, which additional sitting postures are available, but they do not crossover.

Also, just a point, but making special 'Invisible' stiing props for the purpose you said might be redundant now, as you can just place any standard MS chair of any type on set and then choose to 'Hide' it via the Directors View so it no longer shows up in camera, but your Actors can still sit on it and therefore you could then place your third party chairs over them, all you need do is make sure the chairs match the hieght/size of the relevant MS ones

#3 jamoram62

jamoram62

Master Director

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 06:05 PM

Also, just a point, but making special 'Invisible' stiing props for the purpose you said might be redundant now, as you can just place any standard MS chair of any type on set and then choose to 'Hide' it via the Directors View so it no longer shows up in camera, but your Actors can still sit on it and therefore you could then place your third party chairs over them, all you need do is make sure the chairs match the hieght/size of the relevant MS ones

Oh my! Indeed you're right and I forgot the obvious solution. In fact, I've used that trick in the past to get a character into a car as part of a test clip. Further, hiding and unhiding objects (or characters) is probably one of the most useful and used routines to get some sequences done.

pretty sure you cannot, as the additional posture options available when your actor sits down is dependant on which of the MS Sitting postures a particular chair uses, and that is controled by the position/name of the chairs sitting bones

I think if, I remember right, there are 3 sitting types:

Sitting low for sofas, low chairs and beds (also maybe some Garden Wall props from one of the garden/foilege addons)

Sitting High for Highback chairs and stuff like the office chair

and Sitting Stool for, err, wel lthe various Stools!

So depending on which of these types of chairs your actor sits on will determine, along with what addon packs you own, which additional sitting postures are available, but they do not crossover.

I'm aware of most of these differences. The question is that there is not an unique attribute for each of those sitting classes. For example, for the  "Low sitting" category, there are a good number of them to choose from:

[attachment=2656:2015-03-15_185901.jpg]

The problem, it seems, is that 3D modelling is an area of expertise I'm not familiar with, and I'm not used to the basic concepts and terminology of the art. For example, those attributes seem to be related to something called 'bones', but these have nothing to do with those I learned about when I was at the Medicine School.

If you want to tell jokes then use Muvizu; if you want to make 'Movies', use iClone; but if you want to tell stories, use Moviestorm - PrimaveraNZ

#4 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 12:08 PM

A previous thread on sitting.

When there is a seat on set, with a bone with a sitting pose defined, and you right click on it in the directors view to select 'sit', Moviestorm finds an animation that goes to the sitting pose defined for the chair.

I think the relevant states that have animations to directly sit on them are SITTING (dining chairs at .5m high), SITTING_LOW (sofas at .3m high), and SITTING_HIGH (not quite sure how high the stools are - maybe .7m?).

Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#5 jamoram62

jamoram62

Master Director

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 01:04 PM

I've missed that. A very interesting and useful thread.

I think the relevant states that have animations to directly sit on them are SITTING (dining chairs at .5m high), SITTING_LOW (sofas at .3m high), and SITTING_HIGH (not quite sure how high the stools are - maybe .7m?).

Thank you, Ben. I must keep on testing to determine the working combinations of seat heights and states.