• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 skratchmasta

skratchmasta

Master Director

• Mods
  • 274 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 01:50 PM

I have currently been working on some educational template movies for media studies. The idea came from Steven Thorne, a media studies teacher we are currently working with here in Cambridge. The movies consist of just a built set and animation and no camera work. The student can then load the movies and then create camera shots using what they have learned in terms of camera work and editing. This idea could also be used for set building.

Camera exercise_01
This is a short sequence depicting a young girl walking through a spooky wooded area with a sense of forboding. Its a bit of a hollywood cliche but its a good oppertunity to create suspense using camera shots.

Camera exercise_02
This is a romantic sequence of a young couple meeting. This is a starter movie in the consumer version but it also makes a good camera work exercise.

Camera exercise_03
We have found that zombie apocalypse movies are very popular with media students so our zombie stock movie is a great way of creating shots for the horror genre.

Any constructive feedback will be welcomed as well as any more ideas from media students or teachers on what templates they would find useful.

Attached Files

Alex Gowland
Moviestorm Ltd.

#2 JMZ

JMZ

Wannabe film-maker

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 05:18 AM

Great work Scratch. Is the "Girl in the Woods" movie available for download? I have the other two already. Oh, and one idea I'm working on for media students is a gestures exercise. Using a version with one and a version with two characters (in conversation) on a stock set with imported dialogue the students are only allowed to change the "implication" of the lines by adding and altering gestures and expressions.

The goal is to change the meaning of the lines (which are also very limited) using only body language. This is to help them with directing and animation. Just an idea.

#3 skratchmasta

skratchmasta

Master Director

• Mods
  • 274 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 04:14 PM

Hi JMZ,

The spooky woods movie is set for release with the rest of the starter movies. But I don't see any reason why I cannot share these movies to teachers if they want to use them before hand. After all, the point of the academy is to share lesson ideas, plans and MS movies. I have attached a copy of this movie to an email I have sent to the address you registered Moviestorm with. Let me know that you received it. You should be able to run it without any problems, but as its a work in progress there could be. Just let me know if so and I'll rectify them.

Wow that idea is really dynamic. I would love to see some examples. I am curious as to how I could make a template movie for this. Its impossible for me to interpret what recorded dialogue would be used so I'm not sure how we would do it. We could either leave the dialogue/ gestures blank and let the teacher add their own. Or I could use example dialogue and gestures for the student to change. Would one of those be useful to you? Have you got some example script that I can have a look at? Then I could get a good idea of how gestures can change the meaning of a sentence.

Thanks for your input I love reading about how teachers are using Moviestorm.

Kind Regards,
Alex
Alex Gowland
Moviestorm Ltd.