#1 Captaintank27

Captaintank27

Upcoming director

• Staff
  • 79 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 04:01 PM

Hey folks.

Another lesson plan/outline.

Me and Alex were talking yesterday and said that "90% of any film is sound" and it got me to thinking about an excellent lesson outline for media students.

Essentially the plan will feature movie (including the set, props actors etc) already animated and ready to movie and function as they would in any normal Moviestorm movie. The difference is the scene will be completely mute and it will be up to the student to add Foley and ambient sound effects, also giving them the chance to add a musical score or track over there choosing.

What I am hoping this will do is give the student a chance too see how the change in sound can dramatically effect the dynamic of a short film, be it for better or worse.

Again if anyone would like too comment or suggest any thing towards this idea, please feel free too comment.

#2 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 05:59 PM

That is a good idea. luckily I have Adobe Audition and Sony Vegas Pro, With Sony Vegas you can have multiple sound tracks so you can get the volumes correct for each character, sound effects and music. And of course with Adobe Audition you can remove sound problems from the recording. Considering that I use a lot of actors and some don't have that great of mics or computers, I get some bad sounds in my voice files but I have been able to clean all of them great with Adobe Audition. I don't know of any less expensive program that works as good as Audition though. I also bought a royalty free pack of sound effects for only $19.95 and there are thousands of sound effects with that package. I have just about everything I need with that one.

#3 Captaintank27

Captaintank27

Upcoming director

• Staff
  • 79 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 07:56 PM

Thats good to hear.

I would be interested in encouraging students to create there own Foley sound effects and maybe even produce there own scores. Using Moviestorm to help them realise how sound can almost sculpt a palpable atmosphere, free from visual representation.

Thanks for the feedback Lucinda.

Look forward to hearing from the rest of you.

#4 rgr

rgr

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 425 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 10:49 PM

QUOTE (Captaintank27 @ Jun 22 2011, 04:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey folks.

Another lesson plan/outline.

Me and Alex were talking yesterday and said that "90% of any film is sound" and it got me to thinking about an excellent lesson outline for media students.

Essentially the plan will feature movie (including the set, props actors etc) already animated and ready to movie and function as they would in any normal Moviestorm movie. The difference is the scene will be completely mute and it will be up to the student to add Foley and ambient sound effects, also giving them the chance to add a musical score or track over there choosing.

What I am hoping this will do is give the student a chance too see how the change in sound can dramatically effect the dynamic of a short film, be it for better or worse.

Again if anyone would like too comment or suggest any thing towards this idea, please feel free too comment.

I heard a lecture once where a scene from a commercial film was shown without music (but had all other sound effects -- it was a simple scene). Then it was shown with three different scores. The effect was amazing. It was such a dramatic change that the "meaning" of the scene went from boring to menacing to sad to loving/happy.

I have no idea how to approach this as part of the moviestorm product set, but it's a fascinating element of film making.

rgr

#5 corthew

corthew

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 2357 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 01:09 AM

There are videos on YouTube where they take scenes from popular movies and use a soundtrack and narrative to completely alter the perception of the scenes.

Mary Poppins becomes a tale about a wicked witch who is mean to kids.

Jaws becomes a lighthearted tale of a man and his shark.

And then of course there is the Pink Panther to Pink Floyd music.smile.gif

Oh...wait...there is another element to that isn't there.smile.gif

Sango: "If it was really a miracle everyone would have been saved."

Vargas: "But if everyone was saved how would anyone know it was a miracle."

Sango and Vargas arguing over the implications of one person surviving an unexpectedly active tidal season.

#6 rgr

rgr

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 425 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 03:40 AM

QUOTE (corthew @ Jun 25 2011, 01:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There are videos on YouTube where they take scenes from popular movies and use a soundtrack and narrative to completely alter the perception of the scenes.

Mary Poppins becomes a tale about a wicked witch who is mean to kids.

Jaws becomes a lighthearted tale of a man and his shark.

And then of course there is the Pink Panther to Pink Floyd music.smile.gif

Oh...wait...there is another element to that isn't there.smile.gif

Pink Panther? I've heard of the "Wizard of Oz" and "Dark Side", or "Alice in Wonderland" and "The Wall", or even "It's A Wonderful Life" and "Wish You Were Here", but I've never heard of any Floyd synchs with the pink panther ...

Those synchs are all coincidence though. Although I admit it's interesting, it's not really what I meant smile.gif

#7 corthew

corthew

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 2357 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 10:00 AM

QUOTE (rgr @ Jun 24 2011, 11:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Pink Panther? I've heard of the "Wizard of Oz" and "Dark Side", or "Alice in Wonderland" and "The Wall", or even "It's A Wonderful Life" and "Wish You Were Here", but I've never heard of any Floyd synchs with the pink panther ...

Those synchs are all coincidence though. Although I admit it's interesting, it's not really what I meant smile.gif

It helps to be really high at the time. I may have been the only person then to have experienced the Pink Panther to Ummagumma.

Sango and Vargas arguing over the implications of one person surviving an unexpectedly active tidal season.

#8 chadaproductions

chadaproductions

Critically acclaimed

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 03:59 PM

I've been doing "Film Music" in my Music lessons for a while.
One lesson that sticks in my mind is when we were given a mute extract of Wallace & Gromit- The Wrong Trousers students had to make up their own tune to go with it.
Very similar to your plan, except no Moviestorm.

Personally, as a student, I would rather compose a piece to an extract of a TV show, or something I knew well, rather than a Moviestorm pre-animated clip.
But if it was a M/Storm film I had made myself, rather than a pre-animated one, I would probably be more enthusiastic.

You would then also have an idea of what the piece would be, instead of wasting part of your valuable hour (I say hour, but my teachers have I-talk-too-much-and-spend-a-quarter-of-a-lesson-telling-you-things-you-already-know syndrome) squabbling over what theme to go for. At least if you had made it, you know what you want the theme of the music would be.

This is just my opinion though, but it sounds like a good idea, and I would do it in lessons!

Chada Productions
Video Production & Animation

Website
Facebook Page
Follow Us On Twitter!
Email Us!

#9 corthew

corthew

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 2357 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 04:50 PM

QUOTE (chadaproductions @ Jun 25 2011, 11:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Personally, as a student, I would rather compose a piece to an extract of a TV show, or something I knew well, rather than a Moviestorm pre-animated clip.
But if it was a M/Storm film I had made myself, rather than a pre-animated one, I would probably be more enthusiastic.

I think that's the point though. Different people interpreting the same footage in very different ways to show how a soundtrack affects the final product.

You're not suppose to be trying to figure out what the creator of the footage intended. That would defeat the purpose.smile.gif

#10 chadaproductions

chadaproductions

Critically acclaimed

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 12:57 PM

QUOTE (corthew @ Jun 25 2011, 04:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think that's the point though. Different people interpreting the same footage in very different ways to show how a soundtrack affects the final product.

You're not suppose to be trying to figure out what the creator of the footage intended. That would defeat the purpose.smile.gif

Good point actually smile.gif

Chada Productions
Video Production & Animation

Website
Facebook Page
Follow Us On Twitter!
Email Us!

#11 Captaintank27

Captaintank27

Upcoming director

• Staff
  • 79 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 12:23 PM

Howdy folks.

Thank you for the feedback. All really helpful stuff.

I am going to create some "stock" movies today that students can then manipulate with sound and music. im currently thinking toward a suspense scene, a comedy "sketch" and a sad/sombre scene.

Does anyone have any advice for others?

#12 rgr

rgr

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 425 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 12:39 PM

QUOTE (Captaintank27 @ Jun 30 2011, 12:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Howdy folks.

Thank you for the feedback. All really helpful stuff.

I am going to create some "stock" movies today that students can then manipulate with sound and music. im currently thinking toward a suspense scene, a comedy "sketch" and a sad/sombre scene.

Does anyone have any advice for others?

A girl sits alone on the floor facing a fireplace burning in the background.

A close up of the mantel shows a picture of a woman.

Cut back to the girl as she stares at the picture with what could be either fear or sadness.

A shot of the door as it opens and a man walks in. He looks at the girl.

Cut to a close up of the girl's face as she switches from looking at the picture and looks at the man, then down at the floor.

Cut back to the man as he looks at the picture, then back at the girl and smiles.

fade out.

You could use this scene with different music and tell many different stories. It's roughly the scene from the lecture I saw. smile.gif

rgr

#13 Captaintank27

Captaintank27

Upcoming director

• Staff
  • 79 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 02:56 PM

Thanks fella.

Here is an idea of what I am going for.

http://www.moviestor...p;vid_id=107202

#14 rgr

rgr

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 425 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 03:00 PM

QUOTE (Captaintank27 @ Jun 30 2011, 02:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks fella.

Here is an idea of what I am going for.

http://www.moviestor...p;vid_id=107202

I like it! I think this has good versatility. I can easily see something ominous, or playful, depending on the sounds you add. Maybe even romantic, if you're into that sort of thing. smile.gif

#15 Captaintank27

Captaintank27

Upcoming director

• Staff
  • 79 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 03:08 PM

Disco!

It achieved what I was going for!

#16 Captaintank27

Captaintank27

Upcoming director

• Staff
  • 79 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 05:10 PM

[/URL]

A few shots from my next render. The same scene but from a different angle, a rather nosy CCTV camera.

Very mute again ;-)

#17 Norrie

Norrie

Novice director

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 06:36 PM

Please don't forget sound effects, sometimes no music is better.

Given that these kids probably have mics and access to free recording software (Audacity springs to mind) it's easier than ever to do your own foley.

I was killing myself recently over getting a rapid pinging on glass. Only after a wasteful search online did it occur to me that a bag of M&Ms and a bowl would work great. Plus I got a bag of M&Ms smile.gif

It's fun, free, and better than wall to wall music at times.

#18 rgr

rgr

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 425 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 07:08 PM

QUOTE (Norrie @ Jun 30 2011, 06:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Please don't forget sound effects, sometimes no music is better.

Given that these kids probably have mics and access to free recording software (Audacity springs to mind) it's easier than ever to do your own foley.

I was killing myself recently over getting a rapid pinging on glass. Only after a wasteful search online did it occur to me that a bag of M&Ms and a bowl would work great. Plus I got a bag of M&Ms smile.gif

It's fun, free, and better than wall to wall music at times.

Free M&Ms? Sign me up! wink.gif

Good points about foley. I did some of my own foley recently (rustling clothing sounds, snapping of a cord) and it turned out to be much faster (and probably better) to just record my own than auditioning endless clips from the internet.

rgr

#19 Captaintank27

Captaintank27

Upcoming director

• Staff
  • 79 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 08:54 PM

Of course guys, I encourage both music AND sound effect construction here.

I want students to really think about how send can set a tone.

#20 Captaintank27

Captaintank27

Upcoming director

• Staff
  • 79 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 10:38 AM

Here is the second part. With a bit of luck this lesson plan will be available this week.

http://www.moviestor...p;vid_id=107226