• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Daveman

Daveman

Critically acclaimed

• Members
  • 197 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 03:08 PM

I think it would be awesome if the puppets / characters could be made transparent for ghostly effects. I'm not sure if its possible to do that with the Moviestorm engine but would be an added plus. Maybe even fade in and out of a scene.

#2 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 12:20 PM

Past experiments with this suggest that it does not look as good as one might hope, as there are internal bits to the puppets that do not look so good when they become visible due to other things being transparent.

You can make texture mods of specific costumes making things transparent, although some bits do not work so well due to skin masks using transparency channels in the textures.

What works best, in my opinion, is filming your scene twice, once with the character visible, and once with them hidden, then using a video editor to blend the resulting footage, so you can have any blend of the two versions, making the character appear transparent, and you can fade up or down from one version to the other, if you want them to become more or less substantial.
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#3 Daveman

Daveman

Critically acclaimed

• Members
  • 197 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 01:39 PM

QUOTE (Ben_S @ Sep 23 2013, 12:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Past experiments with this suggest that it does not look as good as one might hope, as there are internal bits to the puppets that do not look so good when they become visible due to other things being transparent.

You can make texture mods of specific costumes making things transparent, although some bits do not work so well due to skin masks using transparency channels in the textures.

What works best, in my opinion, is filming your scene twice, once with the character visible, and once with them hidden, then using a video editor to blend the resulting footage, so you can have any blend of the two versions, making the character appear transparent, and you can fade up or down from one version to the other, if you want them to become more or less substantial.

Cool - yeah I was just thinking yesterday while watching tutorials on creating meshes and so forth., that might be a huge problem.
Your work around is a cool idea I may fool around with that idea some. Thanks!

#4 Ichikaidan

Ichikaidan

Critically acclaimed

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 06:33 PM

Hi Daveman
maybe i found one of the old attempts ,i guess.
http://reacherstudio...iblePeople.html
Haven't tried it out yet so i cant tell how it looks and whether it works on1.5.+
Creating situations and learning to see.

#5 sosberg

sosberg

Master Director

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 06:39 AM

ohmy.gif Wow! that really is invisible, a little too much for me.
I'm actually creating a new character (alien of course for my A Puney Planet Series) using the superhero addon, which has a semi see-through character (just the body)but I don't think it will work as a ghost wink.gif
I would like to see us get this place right first before we have the arrogance to put significantly flawed civilizations out onto other planets, even though they may be utterly uninhabited.
--PATRICK STEWART--