• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 squirrelygirl

squirrelygirl

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1910 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 09:08 AM

I've been working on some character animations that interact with cars using sketchup cars. When they're finished you'll be able to right click the car and open the hood, trunk, get in the driver's side, passenger side, etc. So far I have Unlatch Hood, Open Hood Start, which ends with the character still holding the hood, and Open Hood Stop with the hood still open so I can add some tinkering animations and, of course, the kick the front of the car animation. smile.gif

I'll post more pics as I get animations done.

modsnmore_logo.jpg

#2 aroundworld

aroundworld

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 882 posts
  • Interests:Film - writing - directing - aviation - traveling - machinema - reading - acting -

Posted 15 August 2013 - 11:46 AM

Much needed Shirl! TY Very cool indeed!

There is no try, only do or do not.

Learn story telling in the MOVIESTORM education forum. 

START HERE:  http://www.moviestor...showtopic=13153

#3 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 11:57 AM

Great, we certainly need a better way for someone to get into a car than using the Moviestorm chair. And the other animations will be great too. Most of my new cars have the trunk opening as well as all the doors. A couple of them have the front hood opening too.

#4 Xolotl

Xolotl

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 429 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 05:01 PM

QUOTE (squirrelygirl @ Aug 15 2013, 9:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've been working on some character animations that interact with cars using sketchup cars. When they're finished you'll be able to right click the car and open the hood, trunk, get in the driver's side, passenger side, etc. So far I have Unlatch Hood, Open Hood Start, which ends with the character still holding the hood, and Open Hood Stop with the hood still open so I can add some tinkering animations and, of course, the kick the front of the car animation. smile.gif

I'll post more pics as I get animations done.

ThanX Squirrely for getting this done proper like. You and Primaveranz are the masters of this. All mods are not equal. Plus, you get to make some coinage.

#5 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5410 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 07:33 PM

Brilliant SG! wink.gif

"If we only use 1/3 of our brain, what's the other 1/3 for?"

#6 mystery_egypt

mystery_egypt

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 926 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 08:59 PM

Great idea! I look forward to the finished product biggrin.gif

#7 kwistufa

kwistufa

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 291 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 10:30 PM

Excellent!

#8 squirrelygirl

squirrelygirl

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1910 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 12:02 AM

Thank you! I'm glad you're all looking forward to them. Here are a couple more pictures:

modsnmore_logo.jpg

#9 mystery_egypt

mystery_egypt

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 926 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 12:19 AM

ohmy.gif That looks awesome!

#10 rgr

rgr

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 425 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 02:56 AM

These look great!

#11 Poulet Noir

Poulet Noir

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1136 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 07:17 AM

Great stuff. I'm really looking forward to these mods!

"Come back Black Chicken! Leave us an egg or something..." Love at First Bite

Bat avatar used by kind permission of Jon Huckeby. Check out his blog!

#12 squirrelygirl

squirrelygirl

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1910 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 12:00 AM

Thank you! smile.gif

Here are some more animations:

Start the car:

Drive - Both hands on the wheel:

Turn Right:

Turn Left:

The wheel is animated so when the character turns left the wheel moves in that direction.

modsnmore_logo.jpg

#13 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5410 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 01:19 AM

Can this be used with right-hand drive vehicles as well?

"If we only use 1/3 of our brain, what's the other 1/3 for?"

#14 squirrelygirl

squirrelygirl

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1910 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 01:38 AM

The animations go with the specific car. I'm making them so you can right click the car and the character interacts with it, like the Moviestorm chair. I'll be doing them for right hand drive vehicles too. If you have any right-hand drive vehicles in particular give me the make and model and I'll see what I can do. smile.gif

modsnmore_logo.jpg

#15 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 01:48 AM

will be be able to use the driving animations with other cars? I have made loads of cars that can be driven and of course I want to have these animations for use with these cars.

#16 squirrelygirl

squirrelygirl

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1910 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 02:06 AM

I'll test it to make sure first, but I'm fairly sure the cars would work the same as the Moviestorm chairs...meaning if you put the car down and made it invisible you could use the animations with another car of roughly the same size.

modsnmore_logo.jpg

#17 squirrelygirl

squirrelygirl

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1910 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 03:37 AM

Backing Up:

Lean Forward:

Look Right:

Look Left:

modsnmore_logo.jpg

#18 tree

tree

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 927 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 03:39 AM

QUOTE (squirrelygirl @ Aug 19 2013, 11:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The animations go with the specific car. I'm making them so you can right click the car and the character interacts with it, like the Moviestorm chair. I'll be doing them for right hand drive vehicles too. If you have any right-hand drive vehicles in particular give me the make and model and I'll see what I can do. smile.gif

Firstly; Thanks for sharing your Work-In-Development on this project.

The Great thing about your Dev. software there is a great and simple 'opposite' conversion process, along with some animation layering can easily have Left and Right-hand drive cars and character animations.

Interactive Cars are Cool.... :-) There could be so many fun animations possible.

I'm curious how you will code it into Moviestorm. MS-cars (will animate alone easily) and MS characters animations don't seem to work together;There is no "sit in Car" options in MS-cars.
I guess you are using animated props?

Held Props? so the character and prop are in exact right places or even simpler;
Invisible to camera character placements textures markings (_EG.foot prints texture) on/near the 'car prop'? So exact placements and animation synching will be achieved. ???

Though if you made a special MS-Chair that has 'snap-to' bones (alined to your MS-car/car prop 'snap-to' bones)
Along with a special 'sit in chair' ;left or Right hand drive (that includes an automatic walk to placement in-game) animation then everything will work smoothly...

Not using MS-Cars:?
If you have made your cars props compatible to The MS-Car size and wheelbase, then making your animated props drive is going to be easy on the MS-Car Nav-mesh like platform...
Out of curiosity I made a quick extension Addon of the standard Moviestorm Base01 MS-Car to only show the wheels; all other parts of the car are invisible: Just required 1 new texture and some editing in ModersWorkshop. The usual Attached Chairs used for character placement...

The Special 'Sit in Chair' animations, automatically 'animates' (moves) the MS-Character to exact places for the character to sit down:
I'm not sure how to do but it would be the 'key' in making great interactive siting & getting into car animations within Moviestorm.

Moviestorm; made easy for users, tricky for Developers LOL

#19 squirrelygirl

squirrelygirl

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1910 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 04:04 AM

I'm not using MS-Cars. I'm bringing the cars in as props and making character/prop interactions. So, when they're done you pick the car out of the props menu, put a character on set, right-click the car and have these choices - Open Hood, Open Trunk, Open Driver's Door, Open Passenger Door, Open Back Right Door, Open Back Left Door. From there you will have other choices depending on what you want to do - Check the Engine, Get in and Drive, have the passenger get in or put someone in the back seat, get in the trunk or check the trunk, etc.

So, basically, I'm making the car animated in Max then making the character animations. Then I export all the bones for the prop, export the mesh and material files, then export the prop animations. Export the character animations then put the prop and character animations together in MS, creating the character to prop verbs. I decided to do it that way so I can animated the doors, hood, trunk, and steering wheel to move with the character.

Once I get these driver animations finished and imported into Moviestorm then I'll figure out how I'm going to make the car move. Whether I need to use a navmesh or whether I can get the car to be mobile with the character inside. I should be at that bridge tomorrow. smile.gif

modsnmore_logo.jpg

#20 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 12:54 PM

Well I make all my own cars so that I can so puppets riding in them and I make them mobile so you just drag the car to make it move and I use a Moviestorm chair so the puppet will sit in the car and since I make the cars able to be stacked on,the chair will stick with the car when it moves. Then I hide the chair. I haven't made the steering wheel rotate yet but I could do that. So I guess your animations will not work with my cars but I am going to try it out and see if it works anyway. If you just did the animations and not have them connected to the cars, it would probably work fine on any cars.