• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mattzart30

mattzart30

Master Director

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 05:04 AM

Ignoring some of my greenscreening errors (this scene is still in the assembly phase) -- I am interested in knowing what people's thoughts are about the colors of the priests in yellow and blue in the front rows.  I have gone from hating them to loving them to not being able to tell the difference.  I've just been looking at it too long.  What do y'all think of that color choice and/or the palette of the shot in general?    I am open to suggestions for changes!

The problem for me is the scene is so complex for me to assemble (this shot is a freeze frame of 18 layered moviestorm movies), it is not easy just to try new things or tweak a little something that has to be changed in every one of the 18 renders.  It takes an entire day just to change the color of those robes.   You might think -- well just change one movie and see how you like it before doing all the rest.  The problem with that is the scale here has its own effect -- I can't really see how it all fits together until I see the whole render.  So like having a couple of priests in red is way different than having 100 priests in red, and the red becomes over powering.

I decided early on that I would use duo tones for large groups (red and white/ yellow and blue / red and gold).  I did this because the eye should go to the center of the action (the emperor who is standing with his arm outstretched, addressing the hero at the foot of the steps) -- too many colors and color groups bring the eye all over the place I found.

Should I just make them all red and white like the senators at the top?   I liked the idea of having other groups (soldiers, plebs (far left on the platform), priests, nobles, etc) but maybe it is too much too look at.

Also, ignore the set floor - it will be cobblestones, but I haven't put much into that yet, what is there is a simple placeholder.

Here's a higher quality render:

https://www.dropbox.....50.09.png?dl=0

Attached Files

#2 tfish11

tfish11

Director

• Members
  • 115 posts
  • Interests:Everything

Posted 10 May 2015 - 05:22 AM

Honest opinion - the scene is awesome, totally realistic, and the yellow at the front contrasts well with the red worn by the Senators it makes for a good divide between the groups. I'm unsure what your project is but if this a scene or part of a scene I look forward to watching the whole film. Keep it going

#3 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5302 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 05:34 AM

I'd go with it as is, I don't think all red and white would be an improvement.

"If we only use 1/3 of our brain, what's the other 1/3 for?"

#4 thetruedjz

thetruedjz

Novice director

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 03:14 AM

The color choice is perfect the way it is. I'm eager to see your next installment.

#5 mattzart30

mattzart30

Master Director

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 03:19 AM

Thanks for the feedback!  I'm sorry I didn't respond sooner, I appreciate your all taking the time. :)

I'm almost finishing peopling this scene! :)

https://www.dropbox.....11.23.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.....01.09.png?dl=0

#6 sosberg

sosberg

Master Director

• Members
  • 307 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 10:01 AM

My suggestion is to change the background stone work. maybe alter the colour slightly. so the yellow in the robes is not lost. :)

I would like to see us get this place right first before we have the arrogance to put significantly flawed civilizations out onto other planets, even though they may be utterly uninhabited.
--PATRICK STEWART--