• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 grouchobeer

grouchobeer

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 322 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 12:40 PM

I have seen at least one Moviestorm movie with a fat character. Is it possible to make a fat character without modding? And what about a midget-- a person of regular proportions, only very short?
NOW PLAYING: SUGAR BABES, Episode 7: "The Old-Fashioned Way Is Still Best"
http://www.moviestor...p;vid_id=102176

#2 The Director

The Director

Upcoming director

• Pioneers
  • 95 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 01:16 PM

What was that movie?

I'm fairly sure it is not possible to change a character's weight or height...
--------------------------------------------------------
There are no rules for good films, there are only good films.

#3 grouchobeer

grouchobeer

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 322 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 10:18 PM

Oops, my bad. I thought it was made w/Moviestorm, but it was The Sims2.
NOW PLAYING: SUGAR BABES, Episode 7: "The Old-Fashioned Way Is Still Best"
http://www.moviestor...p;vid_id=102176

#4 kkffoo

kkffoo

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 3286 posts

Posted 06 October 2007 - 10:30 AM

I did wonder if it was one of my movies you might have sen g'beer.
The world that you know? http://www.moviestor...eServlet?id=136
I combined MS and sims characters for this.

#5 Spong3y

Spong3y

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 493 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 01:13 PM

(grouchobeer)
Oops, my bad. I thought it was made w/Moviestorm, but it was The Sims2.

Yeah, it's impossible to make short or fat characters to Moviestorm, or any other body build, even if you are an experienced body mesher.

That's too bad, I was gonna try a wrestling movie with Moviestorm, only to be stopped by too little fighting animations and too small fragile body types.
[witty signature pending]

#6 Mikelo

Mikelo

Moviegoer

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 03:45 AM

(The Director)
What was that movie?

I'm fairly sure it is not possible to change a character's weight or height...

As a short cut - Green screen the character and key him into the shot smaller in post? Hey, it worked for Lord of the Rings.

There's probably a similar workaround for overweight characters.

#7 Chris Ollis

Chris Ollis

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1631 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 07:39 AM

Until we get a very complicated retargeting system mixed with IK offsets or mesh boundary warping or even self collision this isn't going to happen in a satisfactory way.

To see why I say this, download the Christmas Actors I made http://www.moviestor.../list/3659.page. Fatter characters instantly suffer from geometry intersection which is something we try to avoid as much as possible due to it being quite visually disruptive to a story.

Different heights without clever IK work would result in hand shake animations not working, kissing not working, sitting either being in the chair or floating above it, etc etc etc.

It's not an issue we're ignoring, but I hope you appreciate it's not a simple fix.

Chris
Chris Ollis
Caretaker of www.moddingstorm.co.uk, the one stop shop for all your extra addon needs
Plus Minor Web Celebrity, Viral Guru, Advertising storyboarder, Toy designer, BBC and Channel4 comedy writer/animator :D

#8 tkd27

tkd27

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 780 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 03:14 PM

(Chris Ollis)
Until we get a very complicated retargeting system mixed with IK offsets or mesh boundary warping or even self collision this isn't going to happen in a satisfactory way.

To see why I say this, download the Christmas Actors I made http://www.moviestor.../list/3659.page. Fatter characters instantly suffer from geometry intersection which is something we try to avoid as much as possible due to it being quite visually disruptive to a story.

Different heights without clever IK work would result in hand shake animations not working, kissing not working, sitting either being in the chair or floating above it, etc etc etc.

It's not an issue we're ignoring, but I hope you appreciate it's not a simple fix.

Chris

Chris,

Thanks for the update. I know Moviestorm generally likes to do something right the first time, not half way, but at the same time Machinimators are used to creating work arounds and dealing with very imperfect situations. With that in mind, I wonder if it'd be possible to get two (boy and girl) children anytime before this complicated system is figured out? I think we'd all much rather have some kids without the interaction animations and with incompatabilities with chairs and such than not have children at all.

Although I do understand the mentality that lead you guys to take stairs out as a basic prop: not wanting a million questions about how to make actors go up them. The same would apply to incomplete actors, I suppose.

I know it's a delicate situation and you guys must grapple with it. Our insatiable appetite for new and expanding props and characters probably doesn't make it any easier smile.gif But thank you guys for trying so hard.

#9 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 04:32 PM

I have an idea and I do not know if it will work, but the way you focus the camera on different characters can make them appear taller or shorter. The only problem of course is that all our characters have definite adult physical characteristics. Is it possible to make puppets that have younger looking faces, i.e. males with no facial hair and of course bodies that have no sexual characteristics? That way, with some clever camera angles or even showing the altered puppets in a different room than the adults, you could create the illusion that they are children.

Also you can modify the furniture sizes (well I can do this as I have the modders workshop) so that furniture when the children are present is larger, etc. And other modders here can easily create furniture that is larger in proportion to other furniture that the adults use.

You can use kid voices, play noises, etc,kid laughing when out of site, babies crying etc.

#10 willshetterly

willshetterly

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1356 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 04:33 PM

Seconding tdk's request for more imperfect solutions. The Santa is a great example--yes, we have to choose our shots carefully for some animations, but that's a small price to pay for being able to have him.

I agree Short Fuze shouldn't include short or fat characters in the basic pack, but they could give away or sell addons with the warning that they're best used by more experienced moviemakers, because they're essentially beta 0.5 characters.

I think flawed fat characters and kids would be worth five pounds if they came with a tintable business suit, shirts and jeans, and swim suits. It's better to do something awkwardly than not do it at all.

#11 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 04:45 PM

(willshetterly)
Seconding tdk's request for more imperfect solutions. The Santa is a great example--yes, we have to choose our shots carefully for some animations, but that's a small price to pay for being able to have him.

I agree Short Fuze shouldn't include short or fat characters in the basic pack, but they could give away or sell addons with the warning that they're best used by more experienced moviemakers, because they're essentially beta 0.5 characters.

I think flawed fat characters and kids would be worth five pounds if they came with a tintable business suit, shirts and jeans, and swim suits. It's better to do something awkwardly than not do it at all.

How about padded costumes that make a puppet look fat? The alien costumes make them look really skinny with flat chests. Hey modders, couldn't the alien costume be altered to a child like body? That wouldn't interfere with the physics of the actual puppets. Like there is one outfit that makes a woman look pregnant and a bit fatter that I use.

Are we all having tantrums here? LOL. Reminds me of my own kids when they want something they don't have yet.

#12 rocuro

rocuro

Critically acclaimed

• Pioneers
  • 195 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 05:25 AM

I found that modifying the moviescope file allows different sized characters, but again you have to plan your shots. An example can be seen in my short film, Wide As A Bus

http://www.moviestor...eServlet?id=526

I found it very hard to get the settings to work, but it did work for the scene and it would have to suffice until we have real characters of various proportions. Note that widening a character apparently widens the shadows of the character too.

screenshot:

#13 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 06:22 AM

(rocuro)
I found that modifying the moviescope file allows different sized characters, but again you have to plan your shots. An example can be seen in my short film, Wide As A Bus

http://www.moviestor...eServlet?id=526

I found it very hard to get the settings to work, but it did work for the scene and it would have to suffice until we have real characters of various proportions. Note that widening a character apparently widens the shadows of the character too.

screenshot:

You are the one who did that movie. I kept thinking of that when I was reading this thread. Have you tried making them shorter yet?

#14 halool

halool

Critically acclaimed

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 03:22 PM

Hey,, i wanna ask about the customs,, i think there should be more customes for female characters. its so limited!!! in my movie there is a scene that includes 6 girls walking together and the customes looks similar, which is considered as a weakness point in my movie sad.gif

by the way, i downloaded a few free props and customs and other stuff as add-on's but their extention is (.blend). Is there anyway to use them or what?? i'm not that good in such stuff so please help....

#15 squirrelygirl

squirrelygirl

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1910 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 08:22 AM

(halool)
Hey,, i wanna ask about the customs,, i think there should be more customes for female characters. its so limited!!! in my movie there is a scene that includes 6 girls walking together and the customes looks similar, which is considered as a weakness point in my movie sad.gif

by the way, i downloaded a few free props and customs and other stuff as add-on's but their extention is (.blend). Is there anyway to use them or what?? i'm not that good in such stuff so please help....

The free addon for costumes depend on addon packs. As in some might not work if you don't have wardrobe 1, wardrobe 2, or the christmas pack. It just depends on which costume they changed.
I couldn't use the santa costume or some of the superheros until after I bought the christmas pack.
Does this answer your question or did you need help installing them in moviestorm?

modsnmore_logo.jpg

#16 halool

halool

Critically acclaimed

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 03:18 PM

thanls :oops: laugh.gif

#17 tymax1234

tymax1234

Moviegoer

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 10:18 PM

see, what we really need are non adult characters, I need a child for a storyline, but such things don't exist in machinima. And I don't want those damn plumbobs above my characters like in the Sims, that game sucks for machinima compared to anything vaguely dedicated to it...

#18 hotctry

hotctry

Moviegoer

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 October 2015 - 02:18 PM

Yes, size variation in characters is a limiting factor. I did purchase some medieval male and female costumes that have a slider where you can adjust weight of character so it can be done.

Children are the main problem I have. I have turned down so much work because child characters (short adults) were needed. If we had the slider on all costumes and two short characters with some costumes, i would happily pay double the price for Moviestorm.