• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 pedrosura

pedrosura

Master Director

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 03:02 PM

After some trial an error, I was able to make a scene where the MS characters appear inside a video. The procedure to do this were as follows:

1)Record scene in MS. In this case around the hangar it was all green to make integration easier.
2)Take the space video scene and create a copy
3)On one copy mask the hangar door
3)set up 3 video layers. On top the hangar door which is masked. Second layer the MS hangar with green screen around. Third layer the original video scene
4)On the top view use the compositing mode "lighten" and move with track motion the door "up" to reveal the hangar inside.
5)On the middle layer use track motion to shrink and position the hangar from MS into the hangar from the movie. Also, use chroma key to remove the green around the hangar.

I anticipate using this technique more to creating the setting for a scene by placing MS into a window, or the bridge of a spaceship and the switching to the MS scene. I think it turned out well and with a little more work it could look perfect...

http://www.moviestor...p;vid_id=110685

#2 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5370 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 07:18 PM

One of the nicest uses of greenscreen in MS I have seen was IceAxe's use in the Green house scene to show rain outside in "Embers". A touch of genius I thought. wink.gif

"If we only use 1/3 of our brain, what's the other 1/3 for?"

#3 pedrosura

pedrosura

Master Director

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 06:15 AM

QUOTE (primaveranz @ Oct 5 2014, 7:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
One of the nicest uses of greenscreen in MS I have seen was IceAxe's use in the Green house scene to show rain outside in "Embers". A touch of genius I thought. wink.gif

That is a great movie! Thank you for showing me that.. Not sure why the greenscreen was needed. Is it that there are no glass houses in ms? Didnt even notice. The movie is just great!

#4 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5370 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 07:54 AM

QUOTE (pedrosura @ Oct 6 2014, 6:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That is a great movie! Thank you for showing me that.. Not sure why the greenscreen was needed. Is it that there are no glass houses in ms? Didnt even notice. The movie is just great!

The issue was that if you switch on rain in MS it appears everywhere including indoors. As I understand it IceAxe filmed the scene with the greenhouse glass panes greened out and no rain and then filmed it with the rain on and superimposed the rain just on the panes which was a very elegant solution. Actually take a look at his Director's cut version and it will explain it better.
There are a lot of good movies out there, sadly mostly by people who have moved on, take a look at some of my favourites near the bottom of this page if you want to see some corkers.
There are some encouraging signs amongst some of you new guys though wink.gif

"If we only use 1/3 of our brain, what's the other 1/3 for?"

#5 pedrosura

pedrosura

Master Director

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 03:07 PM

QUOTE (primaveranz @ Oct 6 2014, 7:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The issue was that if you switch on rain in MS it appears everywhere including indoors. As I understand it IceAxe filmed the scene with the greenhouse glass panes greened out and no rain and then filmed it with the rain on and superimposed the rain just on the panes which was a very elegant solution. Actually take a look at his Director's cut version and it will explain it better.
There are a lot of good movies out there, sadly mostly by people who have moved on, take a look at some of my favourites near the bottom of this page if you want to see some corkers.
There are some encouraging signs amongst some of you new guys though wink.gif

Awesome, ,makes perfect sense. Yes, I am a new comer and it sometimes feel like I got to a place after civilization flourished. A lot of references everywhere to things or people that are gone.
The program I use to do the Space animation is no longer supported. Another example of things being tried and the developer moving on beucase of little support. I hope that MS doesn't follow that path. I will take a look at the Director's cut. Thank you primavernz!