• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 pedrosura

pedrosura

Master Director

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 06:31 AM

I began exploring Celestia software to enhance the space scenes I was working on when I came across this incredible piece of software. It is calles SPACE ENGINE. Space Engine is easily once of the most impressive pieces of software I have ever seen. Besides, it is freeware so far. Space Engine models the known Universe. It has every star, galaxy, asteroid, comet planet, molecular cloud, black hole, etc.... we know about but it also creates planets and stars that are probably there like in other galaxies. It also allows users to create fictional stars, planets, stars and spaceships.

What is trully amazing is how incredible the graphics are. Each one of the screen shots could be a shot in a scyfy movie. The software is free to download from en.spaceengine.org I was so impressed that I immediately donated money.

If you are making scifi moviestorm movies or need a night sky on the earth, the moon or any planet in our galaxy or anywhere else go get it. It is that great!

I made a little movie using green screens to show integration with moviestorm sets (the inside of the tie fighter is a set).

http://www.moviestor...p;vid_id=110876

I have only begun reading about this software and I have not really used it in a movie yet. They just added the capability of creating planets, stars and spaceships. So, this is really the beginning of the software. Please consider donating something if you like it. The developer definitely deserves it!. What I love about the software is that it uses both real data and made up data. You can create your own Worlds that will seat side by side the real one. For example, the planet Pandora is included in a fictitious Avatar system. The data on the solar system and many of the stars I happened to know seems to be dead on.

The software is just short of a Gig and quite frankly it is amazing to me, the code is not bigger. I expect some people here will pick this up. I find myself discovering new things as i use it.

Warning! it is addictive. just like MS

#2 jamoram62

jamoram62

Master Director

• Members
  • 874 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 10:49 AM

QUOTE (pedrosura @ Dec 1 2014, 6:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I began exploring Celestia software to enhance the space scenes I was working on when I came across this incredible piece of software. It is calles SPACE ENGINE. Space Engine is easily once of the most impressive pieces of software I have ever seen. Besides, it is freeware so far. Space Engine models the known Universe. It has every star, galaxy, asteroid, comet planet, molecular cloud, black hole, etc.... we know about but it also creates planets and stars that are probably there like in other galaxies. It also allows users to create fictional stars, planets, stars and spaceships.

What is trully amazing is how incredible the graphics are. Each one of the screen shots could be a shot in a scyfy movie. The software is free to download from en.spaceengine.org I was so impressed that I immediately donated money.

If you are making scifi moviestorm movies or need a night sky on the earth, the moon or any planet in our galaxy or anywhere else go get it. It is that great!

Thank you. I knew Celestia, Orbiter and Noctis, and in the nineties I spent lots of hours exploring exotic solar systems in the MS Space Simulator, but I have missed this. Awesome.

ars longa vita brevis - Hippocrates (attributed)

If you want to tell jokes then use Muvizu; if you want to make 'Movies', use iClone; but if you want to tell stories, use Moviestorm - PrimaveraNZ

Shared addons & stuff for Moviestorm: https://drive.google...aTNsSFBuN0sxZHM

#3 pedrosura

pedrosura

Master Director

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 04:08 PM

Same thing happened to me. I was starting to get deep into Celestia when I saw SE. I am in the process of learning how to import ships and maneuver them. It is not as easy as it could be. Give it a try. You will be blown away..

#4 sosberg

sosberg

Master Director

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 07:45 AM

Sounds like something I would like. blink.gif
Thanks I'm going to check it out smile.gif
I would like to see us get this place right first before we have the arrogance to put significantly flawed civilizations out onto other planets, even though they may be utterly uninhabited.
--PATRICK STEWART--

#5 pedrosura

pedrosura

Master Director

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 03:08 PM

QUOTE (sosberg @ Dec 6 2014, 7:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sounds like something I would like. blink.gif
Thanks I'm going to check it out smile.gif

It is still in beta. Version 0.9.7.2 but I am impressed with the shape it is in Beta, The videos it is capable of will take your breath away. I am also sure it will inspire you to do other things..Good luck.

#6 EugeneE

EugeneE

Master Director

• Members
  • 444 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 01:39 AM

I've fooled around with Celestia a few times and it looks good, have it on Linux, have to put on Windows also.

There is another space engine program which, IIRC, is kind of a competitor to Celestia called Stellarium, it's open source also and has versions for Linux, Windows and Mac OS at http://www.stellarium.org/. I also have this prog on Linux also.