• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tree

tree

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 927 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:40 AM

Moviestorm Female01 skeleton has 3 spaces in 2 of it's bones.
BVH's really don't like spaces in bone names; exporting my animations don't work unless i temporarily modify my skeleton.

I can't see this 'glitch' being fixed in this version of MS... Every female animation in MS would have to be updated.... I guess...
I hope MS-Female02 wont have spaces.

I haven't even looked at Moviestorm Male01 ... does that one have spaces to deal with?

I'm sure the MS-DEV.Team are very aware of the spaces in the head and body bones.. but if any other people wanted to know:

There are 2 spaces in/this "Female-1_ R Forearm", another space (at the end of the name) on "Female01_Jaw "

The Skeleton.properties file reflects the spaces and so does the Base MS code seeing that the 'skeleton.properties' file doesn't fully override 'baseCode'....when i correspond the 'spaceless' naming in Max bones and Skeleton.properties File

Just guessing:
It appears that these spaces have caused some trouble to the full use of the Skeleton.properties reference file.... Just imagined because some changes are possible but the bones with spaces can't be changed without error... so assume baseCode controlling beyond the .properties file....

I can't see any problems with a temporary fix of the female01 skeleton until (insert spaces into skeleton again) i need to use it in Max to MS Cal3D exporting...
Any hints and tips related to this would be helpful, Cheers :-)

#2 Reacher

Reacher

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 307 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 01:52 PM

Well as far as Cal3D goes, the cmf and caf files only use an index to the bone, the names are only stored in the csf. Since you won't be overriding the csf for any puppet work - you should be OK to rename things.
I used this to create some faux bone mappings in the Blender 2.49 exporter, it used the bone names to reference what index they should map to and the exporter could override the actual bone index.

-- Reacher

#3 tree

tree

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 927 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 05:25 AM

QUOTE (Reacher @ Aug 9 2012, 08:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well as far as Cal3D goes, the cmf and caf files only use an index to the bone, the names are only stored in the csf. Since you won't be overriding the csf for any puppet work - you should be OK to rename things.
I used this to create some faux bone mappings in the Blender 2.49 exporter, it used the bone names to reference what index they should map to and the exporter could override the actual bone index.

-- Reacher

Firstly Thanks Reacher... this info is helpful for Blender users.. though max seems to be more strict.

That would be great if it was true ("...only using an index to the bone") of 3ds Max. Renaming the skeleton on animation Max Cal3d exporting will bring up this error:

When I edit the skeleton back to it's original 'bad spacing' state, exports Animation without any errors.

Thankfully only 2 bones have errors on them.

I am still wondering about Male01 skeleton if there is any spaces in that one.... if nobody says... i'm sure i'll soon find out on exporting BVHs

#4 Reacher

Reacher

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 307 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 01:30 PM

Actually I was mainly referring to how the final product, the Cal3D files work; but now that you mention it I do recall, from seeing Max demo videos, that it asks you to provide an external skeleton file to export meshes and animations. Their export process does seem to care about the names, probably saves people from issues down the road smile.gif .

I believe that Max has a scripting facility, maybe you could program up a couple of buttons to remove and restore the spaces?

Good luck,
-- Reacher

#5 tree

tree

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 927 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 02:38 PM

QUOTE (Reacher @ Aug 10 2012, 08:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Actually I was mainly referring to how the final product, the Cal3D files work; but now that you mention it I do recall, from seeing Max demo videos, that it asks you to provide an external skeleton file to export meshes and animations. Their export process does seem to care about the names, probably saves people from issues down the road smile.gif .

I believe that Max has a scripting facility, maybe you could program up a couple of buttons to remove and restore the spaces?

Good luck,
-- Reacher

Thanks Reacher; understood.
Non-max users have an advantage in this situation :-)

Yes, "maxscript" could be a helpful time savers; exporting CAL3D with a script macro. Meanwhile 'by-hand' changes back and forth for me.

Good thing is 'Bip' files within Max don't care about bone spaces...:
So i was easily able to put together and save MoCap files into BIP files and export them to MS in my quick little "learning to cartwheel..." vid

#6 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5409 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:21 PM

That is exciting stuff you are working on Tree!

"If we only use 1/3 of our brain, what's the other 1/3 for?"

#7 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 04:47 PM

The skeleton bone names can be found in a text file (skeleton.txt) in the same folder as the two skeletons in Core/Data/Puppets/[Male01|Female01].

I'm afraid that the problem is a lot worse for the male skeleton; almost every bone has at least one space in the make skeleton.

With regards to exporting from max, the bone names in the max file are matched up to the bone names in the cal skeleton when exporting meshes or animations.
If you did a (careful) replace on the spaces in the binary cal skeleton file, then something similar with your art file, then I would imagine it would be possible to export using a new skeleton that had different bone names.

Beware of just saving out the skeleton again - if the bones end up in a different order, then any animations made for the new skeleton will not work with the old one.
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users