• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#61 willshetterly

willshetterly

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1356 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 09:42 PM

Armanus, I agree with you, but the market doesn't. Moviestorm's foray into education makes it tough, especially in second world countries like the US, to also sell erotic material. I'll spare you a rant about capitalism, but I think Moviestorm is doing the best they can under the circumstances.

They could give the AD package to Moddingstorm, if Chris wanted it back and they wanted to let go of it.

I do wish there was an official MS nudity package, an R-rated version of After Dark, because nudity isn't sexuality. Even Biblical literalists grant that if you're doing an Adam and Eve story, you gotta have 'em starkers, and if you're doing, say, a film education class, the shower scene in Psycho doesn't work if she's in her underwear.

#62 Stormscape

Stormscape

Master Director

• Members
  • 262 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 10:14 PM

Releasing After Dark out to Moddingstorm actually sounds like a decent idea, but I'm personally of the opinion that they should scrap the existing sex animations and include the nude puppets in the core package, and then put out a separate pack with better animations, but that's just me.

Speaking of, the morph slider for the female puppet is pretty much useless, because clothed puppets all have fixed chest sizes. It'd be a lot more useful if the morph slider changed the relative direction of gravity, instead.

(If only there weren't that issue between Moviestorm and Blender, or I'd be off learning to animate in Blender right now.)

#63 Armanus

Armanus

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1532 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 11:51 PM

Thanks Will. I understand why they're doing it, and I do agree that it is something that school children should definitely not be exposed to, I'd just hate to see adult content take a back seat. Maybe it's telling of modern society that we can all agree that sexual content is not for children (which it is not) but content that allows you to film someone shooting someone else in the head or containing drug paraphernalia is acceptable (which it's not).

Maybe having Chris sell it on Moddingstorm (if he chose) is the best route. Maybe an adults-only official site for mature content (sex, violence, drugs, etc.) would be a solution as well. That way adult users can get content that they can use for more mature audiences.

My main rant though was about the negative comments made about the AD pack by some. It's not filth or smut or anything else. It's just animations of a natural act. It's what you do with it and the context you use it in that determines what it is. Sometimes people are just weird and have this bias about sex... and yet guns and drugs are OK.

#64 Armanus

Armanus

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1532 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 11:52 PM

QUOTE (Stormscape @ Jun 21 2011, 04:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Speaking of, the morph slider for the female puppet is pretty much useless, because clothed puppets all have fixed chest sizes.

Maybe it's all in the bra? wink.gif

#65 kkffoo

kkffoo

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 3285 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 08:03 AM

I believe that the animations in AD1 (not 1AD blink.gif ) were chosen because of their lack of intersection...made them quicker to do for an experiment.

The problem with the AD1 animations are exactly that..lack of intersection between puppets, or rather everything being focused on one intersection to keep animation time down (intersecting puppets take longer to do). The animations are designed to loop as well..another time saver.

My guess is it isn't just the adult content, it is that staff feel this pack isn't up to the quality and scope of their usual output, and if that's the case I agree. AD1 looks like a rushed* job in parts (the skins are nice though).

I can't help thinking that an animator who doesn't have a room full of office staff breathing down their neck could pick up this theme and maybe inject a little more love into it...so to speak. wink.gif

*(Even though I'm sure it still took a ludicrous amount of time and energy to do)

#66 mcornetto

mcornetto

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 475 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 09:27 AM

I like the AD package as an alternative to the kiddy stuff. I do wish it could be a bit more suave than it is. I can understand that they want to keep it away from prying kiddie eyes and I don't mind having to buy it in a brown paper package - as long as I can buy it.

#67 borg1of1

borg1of1

Novice director

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 08:25 PM

What is the official Moviestorm postion on the After Dark set? I was hoping to see more sets like this. If Moveistorms is "concerned" about it being accessed inappropriately or "offending" someone, might Moviestorm simpye offer a separate MATURE Marketplace or provide a profile check box that you have to check in order to access the After Dark content? This seems a reasonable approach rather than just hide it - if it still exists.

I was hoping to create a biblical themed movie with alot of polygamous & adulterous begetting; how better to achieve some realism than using After Dark in combo with AD1?

#68 Armanus

Armanus

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1532 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 09:28 PM

I can't speak for the company, but my impression is "it was all a dream". It makes sense, considering how much they've marketed MS for educational purposes. The problem is, of course, that the rest of their market that may want to use the content can't get it anymore.
Having a mature area of the site, well, they did that. The problem though with the age verification method you suggested is that it doesn't verify anything. It's really an honor system kind of thing, and if someone underage wants the content all they have to do is click that box and they can get it. Easily fooled.
I don't know if they plan on doing anything further with it or similar new content, but I do think they need to consider taking at least the nude skins (minus certain morphs) and making them available in another pack. Those are useful in many scenarios that have nothing to do with sex.

#69 willshetterly

willshetterly

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1356 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 12:57 AM

Full agreement on the nudes. It's why I got the pack.

Hmm. Maybe Moddingstorm could be convinced to release a version....

#70 Chris Ollis

Chris Ollis

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1631 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 06:51 AM

QUOTE (willshetterly @ Sep 23 2011, 12:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Full agreement on the nudes. It's why I got the pack.

Hmm. Maybe Moddingstorm could be convinced to release a version....

2 or 3 people wanting a new pack is hardly going to cover the costs of making it
Chris Ollis
Caretaker of www.moddingstorm.co.uk, the one stop shop for all your extra addon needs
Plus Minor Web Celebrity, Viral Guru, Advertising storyboarder, Toy designer, BBC and Channel4 comedy writer/animator :D

#71 kkffoo

kkffoo

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 3285 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 07:19 AM

That's a mesh issue though Chris, the textures wouldn't take as long. If Moviestorm have retired the AD meshes can we modders have them?

#72 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5365 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 12:40 AM

QUOTE (Chris Ollis @ Sep 23 2011, 05:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
2 or 3 people wanting a new pack is hardly going to cover the costs of making it

Build it and they'll come! FNARR FNARR GNURK !

"If we only use 1/3 of our brain, what's the other 1/3 for?"

#73 corthew

corthew

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 2357 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 04:23 AM

QUOTE (Chris Ollis @ Sep 23 2011, 02:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Make that three or four. I would be interested in barbie/ken nudes as well. I really only need the ken nude because I want to do a video making fun of the whole puritanistic attitude about that one area of the body, rather than the...oh...mouth for example.

The things a person can do with their mouth are just disgusting. Why don't people cover that thing. wink.gif
Sango: "If it was really a miracle everyone would have been saved."

Vargas: "But if everyone was saved how would anyone know it was a miracle."

Sango and Vargas arguing over the implications of one person surviving an unexpectedly active tidal season.

#74 rampa

rampa

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1220 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 05:20 AM

QUOTE (kkffoo @ Sep 22 2011, 11:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's a mesh issue though Chris, the textures wouldn't take as long. If Moviestorm have retired the AD meshes can we modders have them?

We already have nude body meshes if you give the guy an (ahem) hand-held prop. tongue.gif

#75 JMZ

JMZ

Wannabe film-maker

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 04:55 AM

QUOTE (rampa @ Jun 14 2011, 10:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't have a TV either. TV destroys creativity!

Tell that to Tina Fey and her shelf full of Emmy awards. huh.gif

TV might indeed destroy some things but it helped pay for my house. So I'm kind of okay with it.