• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 kibishipaul

kibishipaul

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 427 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 09:15 AM

Recently I have been researching different ways of using iPads in the classroom using the videos I have been making with Moviestorm. One of the things I have done, which worked out very well, was to use augmented reality on the iPad using an app called Aurasma. If you've no idea what augmented reality means, and I have to admit it was a head scratcher for me as well, here is the definition;

'Augmented reality is a live, direct or indirect, view of a physical, real-world environment whose elements are augmented (or supplemented) by computer-generated sensory input such as sound, video, graphics or GPS data'

For those of you still puzzled, and who can blame you, an example would be a bar code containing information that can be viewed using a bar code reader.

For my products I make a trigger image (the bar code). Then using an app called Aurasma, students hold their ipads (the bar code reader) over the image which will change into a short video. A different image will produce a different video.

Example from a different lesson,

Attached File  ar_example.jpg   30.04KB   11 downloads

The aim of the lesson is for students to act as waiters, collecting orders from different customers (videos). The experience is far more interactive than just have everyone listen to the same video on a TV monitor. Faster students work by themselves and I, the teacher, can give attention to those who have difficulties. For me, this is just the tip of the iceberg as far as these kind of materials go. I have all kinds of ideas and too short a life to put them into practice wink.gif I'd like to hear from any other teachers who have ideas how to use this.

If there are any educators amongst you who want to try this out, it is a free product available to download from the link below. All I ask in return is some feedback on the lesson, which is an experiment I want to improve on. Your students need iPads and a wifi enabled classroom for this to work. Detailed instructions attached to materials.
iPad Augmented Reality 1 - ESL Restaurant Listening