• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 02:48 PM

We have a beta version of Moviestorm 1.6.4 available - please have a go with it, and let us know of any issues that come up.

New Features
- Moviestorm now has a memory monitor in the top right, which shows what proportion of available heap space is being used, and if garbage collection is happening frequently.
- "Modder's workshop Retexture Wizard now allows retexturing of parts based objects - select a part in the master browser and right click and select retexture."
- Dialogue lines and Play Sound activities now show the filename for the audio file.
- When inserting time, extra time can be added to held prop containers or gesture containers, to extend future gestures too.
- Time can now be removed from the timeline if nothing is happening.
- Added a Facial Expression customizer, an alternative to using a Mood Change, which allows you to change the facial expression only.
- Moviestorm should now function on case sensitive file systems.
- Load backup versions of a movie now has a tick box rather than a separate load button, and works for movies not stored in the default place.
- Motion Path activities now have an option to change between constant speed, and having a smooth start and stop (the previous default).
- When selecting 'Gesture' with an existing gesture sequence that is unfinished, open the existing gesture sequence rather than creating a new one.

Fixes
- File browsers remember recent folders, even if you canceled the browsing.
- Addons from the pre-1.0 version of Moviestorm now work when installed in the user Addon folder.
- Walk cycle names are shown in sorted order.
- "Fix for a problem where videos could not be added to the clip bin in the Director's View (after they had been added in the Cutting Room view)"
- Trying to create a plain black image to add to the timeline (in the Cutting Room) now produces a black image rather than a white one.
- Memory leak relating to buttons in the clip bins in the Cutting Room fixed.
- Memory leaks relating to the script editor have been fixed.
- Better removal of old movies from memory.
- Warning message when old movies have not been removed from memory correctly to advise a restart.
- The camera lens slider now shows the lens length based on selected real world camera details.
- Sliders with numbers on should be easier to read now.
- Fix for some lookat animation snapping that was occuring during improvised looking at the person who was talking.
- Taking a camera snapshot now works even if the movie name includes an apostraphy.
- Fix for an issue which changed the texture border of a screen when playing video on a different, similar, screen
- Scrubbing is a lot faster in some situations.
- Deleting clips (video and audio) from the Cutting Room, now also deletes the related files from your saved movie (if you save it).

Installation instructions

Ensure you have an installation of Moviestorm that is updated to Moviestorm 1.6.3, that you will update to the 1.6.4 beta.

Download:
http://cloud.moviest...30507-30624.zip
Log out of Moviestorm in the launcher
On the log in screen, select 'Install licence' and browse to patch-1.6.4beta-30507-30624.zip and select it.
The launcher should then restart - once you have logged in, you should be able to use the 1.6.4 beta version.
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#2 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5224 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 07:03 PM

Even more superb new features Ben, thanks! wink.gif

Downloading now.

"If we only use 1/3 of our brain, what's the other 1/3 for?"

#3 Ichikaidan

Ichikaidan

Critically acclaimed

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 08:34 PM

" - Motion Path activities now have an option to change between constant speed, and having a smooth start and stop (the previous default)."

Thank you so much for this and all the other improvements
Creating situations and learning to see.

#4 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5224 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 12:25 AM

I LOVE the Facial Expression changer!

The ability to create e.g. a slowly developing smile is wonderful! laugh.gif

#5 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5224 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 12:33 AM

The Gesturizer change is a good and the white backgrounds for the text on the sliders is a joy to behold!

Rave...gibber wink.gif

#6 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5224 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 01:14 AM

I had one instance of trying to remove 3.9 secs from the timeline (which it said was the amount available for removal) - it didn't do anything but I noticed the message saying "Only 3.9 secs available" (maybe that should highlight somehow?) I tried 3.8 secs and it worked fine.
However I have not been able to reproduce this situation so might it have been due to the specific position on the timeline and a rounding error?

#7 mattzart30

mattzart30

Master Director

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 07:22 AM

Thrilling!! These upgrades and updates seem fantastic!

#8 Ichikaidan

Ichikaidan

Critically acclaimed

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 08:50 AM

Dear Ben ,

Thank you for the new patch which feels good and quick.
Haven't tried all the new improvements yet.
I do have a question: is it possible to enlarge the memory allocation?
Because i am running sets which are extremely heavy for current memory.
It says 369 out of 400+ MB used.
This really makes things hard to make changes in a film.
I will try lighter sets in future but for the things i want to finish it would be great.

Kind greetings and many thanks
Ichikaidan

#9 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 11:00 AM

QUOTE (Ichikaidan @ May 27 2014, 8:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dear Ben ,

Thank you for the new patch which feels good and quick.
Haven't tried all the new improvements yet.
I do have a question: is it possible to enlarge the memory allocation?
Because i am running sets which are extremely heavy for current memory.
It says 369 out of 400+ MB used.
This really makes things hard to make changes in a film.
I will try lighter sets in future but for the things i want to finish it would be great.

Kind greetings and many thanks
Ichikaidan

Yes, but it may cause things to crash if you set it too high, as heap memory is not the only sort of memory needed, and increasing heap too high leaves less space for other things.
http://www.moviestor...;showtopic=5827
I would suggest not setting it over 600MB, however.

Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#10 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 11:03 AM

QUOTE (primaveranz @ May 27 2014, 1:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I had one instance of trying to remove 3.9 secs from the timeline (which it said was the amount available for removal) - it didn't do anything but I noticed the message saying "Only 3.9 secs available" (maybe that should highlight somehow?) I tried 3.8 secs and it worked fine.
However I have not been able to reproduce this situation so might it have been due to the specific position on the timeline and a rounding error?

Hmm. that would be a rounding confusion - presumably the 3.9 seconds left was between 3.85 and 3.9
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#11 Ichikaidan

Ichikaidan

Critically acclaimed

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 12:01 PM

QUOTE (Ben_S @ May 27 2014, 11:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would suggest not setting it over 600MB, however.

Dear Ben
Thanks for the answer
So, 3072MB for a 16GB mac would be too much?
The current setting is 512MB

Greetings

#12 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 02:18 PM

QUOTE (Ichikaidan @ May 27 2014, 12:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dear Ben
Thanks for the answer
So, 3072MB for a 16GB mac would be too much?
The current setting is 512MB

Greetings

Yes, way too much. I'm afraid that Moviestorm is a 32 bit process, so the 4GB address space is all that is available - I think this has to cover 32 bit drivers, operating system, heap space, garbage collector, mappings for files on disc (such as addon index files, mesh data and videos you want to play), and probably a number of other things I don't know about.
As I understand it, the garbage collector needs to be at least as large as the heap space (maybe twice as large). File mappings are also likely to take up significant chunks of the 4GB address space. I think that possibly the driver and operating system footprint (in the 32 bit address space) is a bit lower on a Mac, as compared to 32 bit Windows, because the OS is primarily 64 bit, but it's not going to free a particularly large amount of extra space.

You could try higher amounts, but if Moviestorm crashes as a result, then you were warned.
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#13 Ichikaidan

Ichikaidan

Critically acclaimed

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 02:44 PM

QUOTE (Ben_S @ May 27 2014, 2:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, way too much....

well thank you Ben for the info.
i will not increase it.
And by the way, the meshbav carrying scene has way improved.
Thank you so much and Mattzart also of course for bringing it up originally .

#14 mattzart30

mattzart30

Master Director

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 04:24 PM

QUOTE (Ben_S @ May 27 2014, 2:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, way too much. I'm afraid that Moviestorm is a 32 bit process, so the 4GB address space is all that is available - I think this has to cover 32 bit drivers, operating system, heap space, garbage collector, mappings for files on disc (such as addon index files, mesh data and videos you want to play), and probably a number of other things I don't know about.
As I understand it, the garbage collector needs to be at least as large as the heap space (maybe twice as large). File mappings are also likely to take up significant chunks of the 4GB address space. I think that possibly the driver and operating system footprint (in the 32 bit address space) is a bit lower on a Mac, as compared to 32 bit Windows, because the OS is primarily 64 bit, but it's not going to free a particularly large amount of extra space.

You could try higher amounts, but if Moviestorm crashes as a result, then you were warned.

Thanks for clarifying this. I know you went over it in your original post on adjusting the memory, but it helps to understand why the limits are what they are. I think a lot of my crashing issues were from setting this too high.

Thanks for including the memory monitor -- it is soooo nice to be able to see leaps in resource consumption . It will help me be a little smarter about my scenes. If the visual payoff isn't worth the chunk of memory a particular action, prop, or set of action requires, it makes pearing things down a lot more intuitive.

This is such a great set of improvements.

#15 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5224 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 12:08 AM

Ben, one problem I have found with the facial expression customiser is that it seems to be a one-shot gun.
I.e. If I try to add a second face change in the timeline, it extends the previous one to that time point (as per the other gestures) This means that if I first had someone slowly scowl and later want them to slowly smile from that scowl, I just end up with a single (much protracted) smile without any scowl.
Is there any way to prevent the facial gestures behaving like the others and appending to pre-existing changes? Or can we have key frame points in the editor with different facial expressions?
Ta.

#16 rampa

rampa

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1220 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 03:53 AM

Make sure to set the smile slider back to zero when you do the scowl. It worked for me quite nicely.

It would benefit from a "neutral" setting in the panel.

Oh. And a wonderful addition, Ben!

#17 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 01:35 PM

QUOTE (primaveranz @ May 28 2014, 12:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ben, one problem I have found with the facial expression customiser is that it seems to be a one-shot gun.
I.e. If I try to add a second face change in the timeline, it extends the previous one to that time point (as per the other gestures) This means that if I first had someone slowly scowl and later want them to slowly smile from that scowl, I just end up with a single (much protracted) smile without any scowl.
Is there any way to prevent the facial gestures behaving like the others and appending to pre-existing changes? Or can we have key frame points in the editor with different facial expressions?
Ta.

Are you maybe just previewing the current expression you have in the facial customizer? There is a button to toggle whether you are looking at the expression that the character should be showing at that point in the timeline, as compared to the expression shown on the sliders?

Facial expression activities behave much like face changes that were part of mood changes, with some exceptions or changes:
Mood changes always had a 1/4 second duration for the blend, which started at the point of the mood change. Change facial expression activities have a blend duration you can customize by dragging it on the timeline.
When you put in a new change facial expression activity, it goes in so that the blend finishes at the time you have the timeline at (as opposed to starting at that point for mood changes).
The customizer has either an Add or an Update button, depending on whether you have an existing facial expression or mood change activity happening at that point. You need enough space after the previous change facial expression activity, to be able to fit the new one in, otherwise you have an Update button rather than an Add button.

If you are not previewing the slider version of the expression, you can copy the characters current expression (even if they are mid blend) onto the sliders using the ^ button.
You can jump to the next or previous facial expression or mood change using the < and > buttons.
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#18 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5224 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 12:18 AM

I don't know what I was doing Ben, as now when I try I get a completely separate instance of the expression change. Anyway it is all working fine now, so thanks again, this really is a killer improvement mellow.gif huh.gif unsure.gif blink.gif wink.gif laugh.gif

(see what I did there? )

#19 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5224 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 01:58 AM

I just noticed this line :- "Addons from the pre-1.0 version of Moviestorm now work when installed in the user Addon folder."

Does that mean we can all get hold of that semi-mythical Pioneer's Addon that apparently contained a bunch of extra animations? wink.gif

#20 tree

tree

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 921 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 05:15 AM

Freeze on LowMemory: (chrome such a memory hog..... ;-)
When I run MS 1.6.4 on low memory and use of the menu eg: Constant speed option on movable objects
screenshot: http://goo.gl/aULOAY
I get a frozen program and Log file giving me OutOfMemoryError in the VM when i try to change a movable object to 'constant speed"
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Requested array size exceeds VM limit. From the screenshot above, it makes sense... though there is no warnings from the new memory gadgets...

The same 'freeze :OutOfMemoryError will also happen when my system is very low on memory and i open and use other menus..

None of the above problems happen if memory usage is below < 85%

The new green memory gauges don't reflect/show a low overall memory from my system ... They were just about close to empty on each repeatable crash.

Would Be nice to be able to toggle these memory gadgets off/on and just be noticeable when there is a memory issue.. otherwise just distractible and not that useful when things are going well.
Suggestion: why not have a dialog box pop-up warning of the lack of overall memory; suggesting to close MovieStorm and other programs to clear up memory; this way a freeze/crash is avoided...

The issue isn't really MovieStorm.... it's how I'm using my computer... beyond it's memory capacity....
A simple "Low Memory" warning app outside of MS would do the trick of warnings to cut on the multi-tasking...

Render
Not an error; more of a curiosity..
Render 1080p screen ==> while rendering, shows on screen at a smaller size. (I'm sure it didn't shrink in the previous version) Though complete movie plays at 1080p

Testing Computer win8.1 4000 series integrated graphics and 4gig ram 64bit....