35 replies to this topic

#1 crystalnoir

crystalnoir

Wannabe film-maker

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 06:57 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm searching a way to import models from Blender to Moviestorm. I searched in the forum, on the net, but everytime I find some "outdated" topic about this.

Is there a way today to import Blender model to Moviestorm without Sketchup ? smile.gif

I use the latest version of Blender and I wonder how can I do that.

If I didn't forget anything, I remember (except if I am wrong) that we was be able to import obj file before in the modder ? Now it seems that we have only and skp option ? smile.gif

I read some topic about but without really answer to this question, it seems that there is no "way" to work with Blender and Moviestorm together.

Could someone confirm ?

Thank's for help.

PS 1 : I have a modder licence.

PS 2 : sorry if my english is not as expected...I'm not english smile.gif

#2 crystalnoir

crystalnoir

Wannabe film-maker

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 09:39 AM

anyone ? smile.gif

#3 writerly

writerly

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 848 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 12:43 PM

I don't use Blender. I found the interface just too freakin' weird to learn. That said, I understand it can be done. The important thing is to get the Cal3D exporter. I have heard, somewhere in one of the forums, that a new exporter has been created.
The exporter will create the Cal files necessary to work in Moviestorm. Each model requires a Materials, Skeleton, Mesh and Animations (if any).
Follow the instruction videos on how to set up the file structure, then just use Blender's export system instead of the version in the tutorial which uses Max. I use Milkshape's and it works just fine. The basics are the same.

I would suggest searching through the forums here for more about Blender to see if there are any other users and perhaps message them personally it you have trouble.

Regards,
C

#4 Reacher

Reacher

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 307 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 05:50 PM

It is a bit difficult at present. Currently I know of two ways to do this.

1) If you are willing to keep a copy of Blender 2.49 around for exporting (animations won't be compatible from 2.6) - then you can install the script that I updated for MS Cal3D. Get it here.

2) Export from Blender 2.6 as an FBX and import into Milkshape to export to Cal3d. You can also import into FragMotion, save as .ms3d and open that in Misfit model to export to Cal3d. There are a number of posts in the modding section about using these products.

-- Reacher

#5 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5373 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 10:11 PM

QUOTE (writerly @ Jul 9 2012, 12:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have heard, somewhere in one of the forums, that a new exporter has been created.

Sadly that is not the case. Someone just fell for the ancient link on the Blender website which has already been mentioned several times on these forums as being defunct.

"If we only use 1/3 of our brain, what's the other 1/3 for?"

#6 crystalnoir

crystalnoir

Wannabe film-maker

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:50 AM

Thank you for replies.

I think that Moviestorm should use "standard" way to make us be able to mod. Simply be able to import obj model, like a lot of software (Iclone for example).

Can we hope Moviestorm modding will become more compatible ? I find complicated for a simple model or prop for example. Not because of the "structure" and addon, just to import a simple model.

Sorry for my english lol...

#7 iceaxe

iceaxe

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1193 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:12 PM

Moviestorm complicated?!

My friend, I spent 4 hours this weekend trying to make the Gingerbread man from the Blender tutorial. What I ended up with was the hunchback of the baker's oven. If you've successfully made anything more complicated than a cube then I take my hat off to you! laugh.gif

#8 urbanlamb

urbanlamb

Master Director

• Members
  • 445 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 03:53 AM

QUOTE (Reacher @ Jul 8 2012, 05:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It is a bit difficult at present. Currently I know of two ways to do this.

1) If you are willing to keep a copy of Blender 2.49 around for exporting (animations won't be compatible from 2.6) - then you can install the script that I updated for MS Cal3D. Get it here.

2) Export from Blender 2.6 as an FBX and import into Milkshape to export to Cal3d. You can also import into FragMotion, save as .ms3d and open that in Misfit model to export to Cal3d. There are a number of posts in the modding section about using these products.

-- Reacher

hi i am sorry but the fbx exporter does not work it crashes there is something wrong with it whomever coded it. It does not work in fragsoft or milkshape. At the moment you can only get object files in lightwave object files no bones no animations nothing. In other words dont bother trying it does not work. I wish people would stop telling people its possible to do this with blender. The only thing you can do with blender is create a basic model. If you want to animate it you must import it as an object file that is the only thing that does not crash these other softwares and put the skeleton in using fragmotion or milkshape and do all the animating completely in one of those two programs.

#9 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5373 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 09:06 AM

QUOTE (urbanlamb @ Jul 14 2012, 03:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In other words dont bother trying it does not work. I wish people would stop telling people its possible to do this with blender.

Beats me why you'd care since you keep telling us you have moved to a "better" software. laugh.gif
FWIW my money is on Reacher.

"If we only use 1/3 of our brain, what's the other 1/3 for?"

#10 Nahton

Nahton

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 928 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 03:31 PM

QUOTE (urbanlamb @ Jul 13 2012, 10:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wish people

People? Reacher's not people. smile.gif

#11 urbanlamb

urbanlamb

Master Director

• Members
  • 445 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 04:44 PM

QUOTE (Nahton @ Jul 14 2012, 03:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

lol well if he is not a person maybe he is something else in any even his information is wrong and its misleading to people who are wanting to possibly use blender with this software to lead them to believe that they can. You see some of us then put money down and buy a product that does not do what "people" here says it does and are sadly disappointed.

So if this 'not person' I dont know what you want me to call him a gnome? a forumite?

it would be great if all these "gnomes" or "forumites" and "people" would stop posting information without verifying its if accurate. For all you know this guy went out and spent 200 dollars and could barely afford it only to find that the information held on these forums and in the wiki is old/outdated and no longer applies. (if it ever did which from the experiences I have had and I am far from a stupid person might never have been true)

#12 urbanlamb

urbanlamb

Master Director

• Members
  • 445 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 04:58 PM

QUOTE (iceaxe @ Jul 9 2012, 09:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Moviestorm complicated?!

My friend, I spent 4 hours this weekend trying to make the Gingerbread man from the Blender tutorial. What I ended up with was the hunchback of the baker's oven. If you've successfully made anything more complicated than a cube then I take my hat off to you! laugh.gif

if you spend time learning blender you will find its far superior to any other tools listed for use on this forum there are many 3d game developers who in fact prefer blender to 3dsmax. Never the less the fbx exporters reacher says work crash milkshape

they intermittenly crash fragmotion as well

any exporter that does not crash either of these two programs that allows you to import more then just the mesh object will result in the skeleton being incorrectly imported and broken animations.

In conclusion the only way to use blender with moviestorm if you want to bang your head on a wall for 6 months to find out like I did is to import objects from blender as a lightwave object file then drive yourself batty using the hard to see interface making a new and inferior skeleton and then trying to make nice animations while looking at the mess which if you spent 30 days committed to learning to use blender would have been done in a fraction of the time and produced far far superior results.

#13 Reacher

Reacher

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 307 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 07:19 PM

QUOTE (Nahton @ Jul 14 2012, 10:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Exactly!

Soylent Green, now that is people!

#14 Reacher

Reacher

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 307 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 07:30 PM

You know what would be really great?

If people would not broadcast that something cannot be done because they cannot do it. It is fine to give feedback about issues you may have had with a process, but to flat out deny that something is possible will discourage other users from experimenting and pushing the envelope on their own.

So, just to prove that a Blender pipeline (for animated props) is possible, I present the following:

Blender -> created a mesh, extruded from a lowly cube, made to fit the Blender human rig and weighted to it. Animated in Blender. Exported as FBX.

FragMotion -> Import above FBX, notice that skeleton is off, rotate it 90 degrees. Check animation, export as Milkshape (ms3d).

Misfit Model -> Open ms3d from above, Rename animation set, verify animation. Export as .cal

Move assets to new addon folder, flip vertical on the texture. Create addon for an auto-animated prop in Modder's Workshop. Publish.

Make a movie:

It's not a great model, but it does demonstrate a complex skeleton, down to the fingers.

-- Reacher

#15 Nahton

Nahton

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 928 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 08:33 PM

Like a lamb led to slaughter....sorry, I can't resist a bad pun. biggrin.gif

Interesting that you went for the"gnomes" characterization when in fact you should have been looking at the other end of the life form spectrum.

You know, something more akin to "Mod God"

And in light of Reacher's post your use of the word "forumite" appears to be somewhat unfortunate now.

From the Urban Dictionary
Forumite: The forumites of the GameSpy Forums are often plagued by the whining of n00bs.

I can appreciate your frustration at trying to get something to work and being unsuccessful but I think you could have benefited from a touch of hubris and not been so snarky and dismissive of Reacher saying it could be done.

#16 urbanlamb

urbanlamb

Master Director

• Members
  • 445 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 09:10 PM

QUOTE (Reacher @ Jul 14 2012, 07:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You know what would be really great?

If people would not broadcast that something cannot be done because they cannot do it. It is fine to give feedback about issues you may have had with a process, but to flat out deny that something is possible will discourage other users from experimenting and pushing the envelope on their own.

So, just to prove that a Blender pipeline (for animated props) is possible, I present the following:

Blender -> created a mesh, extruded from a lowly cube, made to fit the Blender human rig and weighted to it. Animated in Blender. Exported as FBX.

FragMotion -> Import above FBX, notice that skeleton is off, rotate it 90 degrees. Check animation, export as Milkshape (ms3d).

Misfit Model -> Open ms3d from above, Rename animation set, verify animation. Export as .cal

Move assets to new addon folder, flip vertical on the texture. Create addon for an auto-animated prop in Modder's Workshop. Publish.

Make a movie:

It's not a great model, but it does demonstrate a complex skeleton, down to the fingers.

-- Reacher

well I dont know I tried and have been asking for 6 months all the tutorials were for older things that no longer work

I also followed those directions if they were the previous one and as another of us "forumites" have stated the skeleton was not properly oriented and we had to do it

now that you have shown JUST how complicated it is and suggested that people spend what another close to 100 bucks on extra software (two cost money about 50 bucks each) to produce an inferior result do you really think this particular pipeline if is does work because i tried it and the skeleton was in fact NOT oriented properly when I tried it as others have pointed out. (despite our posts to say the contrary which are being ignored) do you REALLY think anyone should be expected to use that many bits of software to get anything into moviestorm? realalistically I can see using one piece of software but you have in one case two parts

now as for the fragmostion/milkshape I GUARANTEE you that does not work because i in fact tried it so I dont know how old those instructions are but they are the ones I tried oh 2 months back and I posted that the isntructions did not work.

so my hubris and humility are fine but in fact presently unless your some kind of wizard there is NO way to get skeleton models into moviestorm even using those methods.. why do i say that? because I have tried ..

the fragmotion crashes with the fbx export about 90% of the time on my system
milkshape 100% of the time
I dont use misfit because its worse for this then the two above which are pretty bad

so no your wrong .. because if you were not I would have succeeded. As I have pointed out in previous threads the software fragmotion crashes but you ignored that statement but its a fact. Here is another fact I paid 69 canadian dollars on fragmotion and 60 canadian dollars on milkshape (thankfully I only spent 80 canadian dollars on moviestorm and won a full unlock in a contest) so to test these instructions which I took as being true and accurate i spent almost 200 dollars to find out they were in fact WRONG.

FACT ..

I ended up going beyond the trial periods because you were so adamant it worked on these boards another FACT

the fragmotion pop up to buy me forced me into a position of having to purchase it sooner because the buy me button pops up under your mouse

the milkshape was semi useful

so now i have
two useless pieces of software I never use again worth 120 canadian dollars on my desktop FACT

why? because I read this message board and believed all the instructions to be thoroughly tested

THE FACT is they were not and they do not work MOST of the time for MOST people.

why? because the following applications are groselly bugged and unstable
milkshape
fragmotion
cal3d importer
moviestorm mod shop

more FACTS incoming

if this were not so there would be a LOT more people using these pipelines and this software would have a much larger following and people at blender would notice and maybe help to make an exporter, but alas its not true FACT

(and people wonder why I dont bother to come to these forums often? because a handful of people who are here who swear up down and sideways certain things are possible but yet? I dont see them producing anything particularly complicated and the only ones that are in fact own copies of 3dsmax and are NOT using this convuluted broken pipeline!)

fact I FEEL ripped off to the n'th degree. FACT all your worrying about is saving face not thinking for one minute that those of us postig "but it doesn't work" in the threads are saying something of relevance FACT
I now use Iclone that does not falsely advertise what it does FACT the only bug I have run across with them was with the video rendering FACT their support team gave me a fix that actually worked FACT!

Am i angry when people tell me that something works that does not FACT you betcha. I posted about the crashes in those threads .. I have posted umpteen million times about the issue with the female skeleton and all i get is "it works but its very fragile and breaks a lot" and so and so is a mod god and his word is gospel MEANWHILE us little people spend money and find out that THE INSTRUCTIONS dont actually work !

#17 rampa

rampa

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1220 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 09:46 PM

I think crystalnoir was looking for an OBJ to CAL3D pipeline. I think Blender can save a 3DS file which can be imported in Sketchup (free version). The model must be saved in Sketchup 6 format to work with the Modshop wizard. Any version of Sketchup has the option under the file type drop-down in the save dialogue.

Another way to do it would be to use Misfit Model to import the obj which then can be exported as CAL3D. Misfit is also free, and better than Milkshape in this modder's opinion. You do need the 1.3.8 version of Misfit to export CAL3D.

Misfit also has the ability to import CAL3D. This may not seem like much, but if you wish to make your own puppets, it is pretty much the only option outside using Max (the software that MS uses to build the puppets). By importing the MS puppet skeleton in Misfit, one can rig and weight a new puppet mesh to it (or modify an existing puppet).

Reacher put up a tutorial on how to import the CAL3D files into Misfit, that can be found by searching these forums. Its pretty easy. I've manged a couple custom puppets using his method.

Perhaps we should officially call it: "The Gnome Method" laugh.gif

#18 urbanlamb

urbanlamb

Master Director

• Members
  • 445 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 10:51 PM

QUOTE (rampa @ Jul 14 2012, 09:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think crystalnoir was looking for an OBJ to CAL3D pipeline. I think Blender can save a 3DS file which can be imported in Sketchup (free version). The model must be saved in Sketchup 6 format to work with the Modshop wizard. Any version of Sketchup has the option under the file type drop-down in the save dialogue.

Another way to do it would be to use Misfit Model to import the obj which then can be exported as CAL3D. Misfit is also free, and better than Milkshape in this modder's opinion. You do need the 1.3.8 version of Misfit to export CAL3D.

Misfit also has the ability to import CAL3D. This may not seem like much, but if you wish to make your own puppets, it is pretty much the only option outside using Max (the software that MS uses to build the puppets). By importing the MS puppet skeleton in Misfit, one can rig and weight a new puppet mesh to it (or modify an existing puppet).

Reacher put up a tutorial on how to import the CAL3D files into Misfit, that can be found by searching these forums. Its pretty easy. I've manged a couple custom puppets using his method.

Perhaps we should officially call it: "The Gnome Method" laugh.gif

mine are officially the "people's methods or maybe gnome but it seems you took that method on me "

for me the most reliable way to import from blender (i could not use misfit the gui was too horrible i would open it up and shut it as fast as I opened it everytime i tried it)

obj, files import 100% of the time using milkshape but you can't import any skeletons or animations only the mesh there was no way to import animations or skeletons in either fragmotion or milkshape due to the fact that well they simply crashed with one exception and that was bvh format for animations HOWEVER it was so twisted up and you could not get a skeleton in that it was a total waste of time to try it.

the only success I had was with mesh and then to use milkshape (because it didn't crash on me as quickly.. as fragmotion did which was very unstable with larger meshes it just caved in when I tried to use it for a truck or something) to create the skeleton and animations. Unfortunately milkshape like the others has very poor gui and is hard to see.. plus its so archaic to use that if you are a regular blender user you run away screaming about caveman tools ..

anyhow I can speak with a LARGE amount of experience with milkshape and fragmotion both and with utter certainty about what is possible and what is not. The biggest problem is the exporters from blender the file they create crashes either of these two programs with the exception of lightwave obj MESH only. and BVH for animation everything else on the blender list of exporter pluggings will in fact crash these two softwares. Of course if you want to spend 120 dollars to prove it to yourself be my guest. Just be warned that there is at least one user on these forums that is honestly telling you that the files created with the blender exporters crashed both of those softwares neither of which has been developed for several years now .

#19 Nahton

Nahton

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 928 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 11:25 PM

I think I know what your problem is but I'm short on time and really on the fence about helping considering the tone of your posts.

FYI - All the animations I have produced have been done with the Fragmo to Misfit to Moviestorm workflow. That includes the Fire Extinguisher.

I don't know what you consider complicated but I can vouch for being able to get animations made for the $50 Fragmo purchase price.

EDIT - I should also add that Fragmo has one of the most user friendly trial methods and it's an alternative to the pop-ups. You can enter The Lord's Prayer in the launch GUI and use the full program for 7 days. There is no limit to the number of times you can do this. I just got to the point where I felt the developer deserved some compensation for his work.

#20 Reacher

Reacher

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 307 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 11:50 PM

Urbanlamb,
I understand that you are frustrated, and I'm sorry you weren't able to get your models into MovieStorm.

Modding for Moviestorm, outside the SketchUp importer, can be a challenging prospect. I'm just saying don't keep people from trying by saying "IT CAN'T BE DONE" because you could not do it. They may not have your same version of OS, or be trying to make the same model/animations you were, and you may convince them to walk away without even trying.

Share what didn't work as well as what did, but don't blanket dismiss something.

-- Reacher