• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#1 davidwww

davidwww

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1881 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 05:51 PM

Ok everybody must be very busy modding away so if you have made something or have managed to get a model into Moviestorm please show us your progress and upload a screenshot.

Regards
Davidwww

An Alien ship hopefully for my Scifi entry

This guys showing off his recent purchases

An overhead of down town with nice roads to drive on

and you can never have too many UFO's (que X files music)

with this last one I removed the piano keyboard and left the stool, so I could make it look like some one is using a computer, adding typing sounds makes it quite believable.

Moviestorm still Number One

#2 equinoxx

equinoxx

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 916 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 06:35 PM

Working on my virtual backlot (the building in the middle will eventually be the setting for a movie, the rest will be for establishing exteriors; for interiors, the set will be duplicated without most of the background architecture):

Modded this a while back, for the aforementioned setting, well before getting ambitious about the backlot (handy hint: I've since discovered that the seams showing at the sides of the window are due to having different textures on the two sides of the wall... paint both sides with the same texture, and just re-paint if you need to shoot a reverse angle):

One of the first things I ever got imported was a table I modeled in Carrara (yet again, for the aforementioned set, interior):

The VERY first thing I imported was a much cruder version of the table, as I was (and remain) a complete n00b at modeling.
David "equinoxx" Anderson
http://www.veoh.com/...els/equinoxxent

#3 AngriBuddhist

AngriBuddhist

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 2074 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 09:10 PM

Those look great guys. equinoxx, thanks for the window seam tip. I'd written the window off as a useful prop because I can't stand niggles like that.

It's taken me forever to get my brain around the Workshop but now that I'm getting there, I have something I'm working on. There are original props involved but it's more of a Concept Addon (more than the sum of it's parts kinda deal) and at this early stage it wouldn't translate well into a screenshot. After learning how to do it I now need to design the Addon and teach myself basic modeling. So my screenshots might be awhile. laugh.gif

#4 Trinity

Trinity

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 618 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 04:49 PM

TERRIFIC STUFF, SIMPLY AWESOME - and yes, i AM shouting!!!
Writer / Producer / Director

DIGIPENDENCE.com - my blog about 3D moviemaking, machinima, animation, cinematic design, sequential art, graphic novels, web comix, fan films, and independent film, video & photo production.

#5 zuckerman

zuckerman

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 426 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 05:11 PM

you guys are freaking amazing!!!

#6 forgeuk

forgeuk

Critically acclaimed

• Pioneers
  • 198 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 06:43 PM

Nice work guys!

As I've only just started modding, here one pic. A character modelling a nice Satscape T-Shirt, and standing in a pot (that I made with my bare hands tongue.gif ) that I finally got to display properly.

Scott Hather

#7 AngriBuddhist

AngriBuddhist

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 2074 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 10:04 PM

Nice forgeuk. It's pretty sweet seeing that kind of detail in that shirt.

#8 equinoxx

equinoxx

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 916 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 10:36 AM

Another shot from my backlot-in-progress:

Moviestorm's walls could still use some polish with regard to outside corner joints. Also, since we're (currently) limited to single-story structures, exteriors have to be carefully framed, lest you wind up with walls that end rather abruptly at the top. A little cornice molding/parapet, hopefully, helps sell the illusion of a roof. It'd be nice to have some sort of wall caps (in a couple different styles) as a built-in option; cloning and aligning the three dozen or so cornice segments on this set did get to be a mite tedious. wink.gif

#9 davidwww

davidwww

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1881 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 11:52 AM

Some really nice modding going on there guys.
I have had a go at using sketchup to make a model and here is the result, its a control console for my starship, the main console is tintable and the five screens can have their own pictures in them, place the modded invisible piano and you can have a Helmsman control the ship.

Regards
David

#10 AngriBuddhist

AngriBuddhist

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 2074 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 12:20 PM

Holy, um, Cow!!! Lookin' Good.

With Sketchup, you could easily add a lot more detail to the surface of the console. I've been playing with it as well but with less luck as I'm focusing on "curves" and they're a bit tough. At least for me.

#11 davidwww

davidwww

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1881 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 04:03 PM

(AngriBuddhist)
Holy, um, Cow!!! Lookin' Good.

With Sketchup, you could easily add a lot more detail to the surface of the console. I've been playing with it as well but with less luck as I'm focusing on "curves" and they're a bit tough. At least for me.

What sought of detail are we talking about, like bump mapping the textures or just more bits and pieces to the model, I only started using Sketchup today and I have to say its pretty damn easy to use for basic things but I'm not that good yet to make something that's detailed and good luck with those curves they are bloody hard to do for me and you.

Regards
David

#12 equinoxx

equinoxx

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 916 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 06:16 PM

I believe Angri is saying you could sculpt more surface detail into the model (e.g., buttons, switches, etc,). That would definitely raise the poly count, however, and remember, the more polygons you throw into a scene, the more horsepower MS will need to render it. I would advocate keeping the model as streamlined (low-poly) as possible in the base mesh, and use normal mapping to add surface detail. I haven't used it myself yet, but I found a free set of Photoshop (ver. 8/CS1 and up) actions that will convert grayscale bump maps to the almost ultraviolet spectrum of DirectX normal maps, over at Turbosquid (which brokers models, texures and other resources, in a wide variety of formats, by hundreds of creators, and sports an utterly massive catalog of content, both free and paid).

#13 AngriBuddhist

AngriBuddhist

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 2074 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 09:37 PM

Well, buttons, switches, etc. would be great but you could even just lower the screens into the console using the "push/pull" feature. Your biggest opportunity with this prop would be, as equinoxx said, in the texture department.

I'm entirely too new at this to know how to go about making a normal or bump map let alone artistic enough to make a nice diffuse texture.

#14 Trinity

Trinity

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 618 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 09:45 PM

I've really be following this thread closely, and I have to say it is one of the most inspirational on this forum. I'm going to be making a list of my SketchUp and Blender 3D resources and posting it.
Writer / Producer / Director

DIGIPENDENCE.com - my blog about 3D moviemaking, machinima, animation, cinematic design, sequential art, graphic novels, web comix, fan films, and independent film, video & photo production.

#15 steelblade

steelblade

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 728 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 03:13 AM

(davidwww)
Some really nice modding going on there guys.
I have had a go at using sketchup to make a model and here is the result, its a control console for my starship, the main console is tintable and the five screens can have their own pictures in them, place the modded invisible piano and you can have a Helmsman control the ship.

Regards
David

I am impresed. I bow to your great and powerful Modhood. smile.gif

#16 Lionheart

Lionheart

Critically acclaimed

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 04:40 AM

You guys ARE going to share this, right??

I suck with the modder's workshop.
I can't model in 3D to save my life!

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/LHMachinima

#17 equinoxx

equinoxx

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 916 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 07:27 AM

(Lionheart)

I think the general answer to that would be, "it depends." We can certainly freely discuss the steps we use to bring objects into MS, but whether we can share objects themselves is subject to whatever terms the originators placed on them. For example, Google's TOS prohibits redistributing items from their 3D Warehouse (which was the source of the road segments and roof moldings on my backlot).

I'm sure that as more people delve into the Modder's Workshop, and more skilled modelers come into the Moviestorm community, we'll begin seeing more user-created content available. Right now, it's still early days, and we're dealing with more "found" content, which in many cases, we're just not at liberty to directly redistribute.

#18 AngriBuddhist

AngriBuddhist

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 2074 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 08:56 AM

(Lionheart)

(equinoxx)
I think the general answer to that would be, "it depends."

I haven't talked about what I'm working on and although this means that there isn't any community interest in having it, I'll give an answer as it relates to the future existence of the Publisher's Market and the sale of user created content.

I've been learning how to use the Modder's Shop and other tools to work on what I'm calling a Concept Addon. This isn't a pack of props, textures, etc. that fit a theme but a group of props that together serve a purpose, have a function. As I've been learning, I've been writing up a "Beginner's Guide" so that someone who "sucks with the modder's workshop" can get the basics and feel comfortable enough with it to start learning how to use it.

The more I learn and test, the more design issues become apparent. This is a good idea, it's challenging, and it's unfortunately, at my skill level, looking like a 3 month project. A project that I'm not doing just because I want to use it but one that I think everyone could use.

Taking all of that into consideration, if I can actually create it, I'll have my eye on the Publisher's Market.

#19 jleao

jleao

Critically acclaimed

• Pioneers
  • 185 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 01:34 PM

Hereīs a complete set of my house, made with sketchup and imported to Moviestorm. Still having problems with textures and i havenīt made the walls...but i think i'm getting better at this. What do you think? More to come soon...i hope.

#20 davidwww

davidwww

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1881 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 04:14 PM

(jleao)
Hereīs a complete set of my house, made with sketchup and imported to Moviestorm. Still having problems with textures and i havenīt made the walls...but i think I'm getting better at this. What do you think? More to come soon...i hope.

You have been busy, nice work, the items that are black is possibly the problem with MS adding extra lines pointing to the textures for each material, so if you click on each material that has an added texture, it should having nothing but /textures/the textures name, i.e. /Textures/RobotChicken.jpg

Regards
David