#41 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 01:18 PM

(Guppi)
Honesty? Ok.

I've seen a couple of your mods (the dragon and the knight) and they look like crap.
Now, I know you're new to this so chances are you'll get better.
Although you have been making movies for a while now and not much has improved there.
But maybe modding is your true calling.
So yeah, don't give up and stuff. make more mods (and less movies)

mGm

And how many movies have you had on TV, Guppi? i know where this is coming from and it does not bother me.

#42 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 01:20 PM

(CHADFilms)
Hello Lucinda,

I would love to have the Washington DC set for my new series. Is there anyway I could go about getting it?

Yes, I have to pack it up and get it ready and I will give you the link.

#43 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 04:51 PM

If anyone would like to talk to me and Ed Wode today at 1:00 PM US Pacific time on Stickum, please go to

http://stickam.com/ewode

Ed is the Hollywood script writer who wrote Marshall's Agency and with whom I am developing the sitcom.

#44 Norrie

Norrie

Novice director

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 04:53 PM

Asking for honesty on an internet forum is always a two edged sword.
I'll admit to a great deal of confusion about what the honest opinions sought are?
It starts with a vague comment about "someone" not liking your mods, you then give a specific reason for their distaste without knowing who they are. Surely the person who furnished you with this quote could tell you?
You then segue, abruptly, into "I am sorry if people here do not like me"

What has one to do with the other?

Here's an example:
Guppi is one of the finest modders in the world (outside of MS) of machinima. His work is recognised by many, and his (so called) comedies are appreciated by lots of people. Personally, I can only repeat what his wife says often: "why me?" He is completely un-redeemable as a human being.

Let's be honest here: a lot of responses in this thread have thrown in the word "artist".
I suspect that if you were that into your "art" you would be more concerned with your work's reception, than your personal one.

Disclaimer: This post has been brought to you by a non-MS person. The OP didn't stipulate a ranking of honest opinions.

#45 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 05:15 PM

Actually I wanted to find out who said that about my work and why they said that. I kind of think I know and no your nor anyone else's negative opinion does not matter to me in the least. You do not pay my mortgage. But it does make me feel better that so many other people who do use this product did respond so nicely to me when they knew I was probably feeling badly.

This is unfortunately something people seem to forget, there are real people here who do not hide behind fake pseudonyms and who are also public people.

But now I know who does not like my work and that is good because i can happily ignore them.

As fpr me I am crying all the way to the bank as I just got my first PAYING gig for a movie to be released in a theater.

#46 roguevirus

roguevirus

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 703 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 05:31 PM

(Norrie)
Let's be honest here: a lot of responses in this thread have thrown in the word "artist".
I suspect that if you were that into your "art" you would be more concerned with your work's reception, than your personal one.

hmmm i think most real artists actually don't give a FLYING FECK what any one thinks of their art ...hence why most die pennyless....unless ofc your a tosser like Daimien Hurst

and yep for the most part i agree that Guppi is entitled to his opinion as that was what was asked for .....although it was a bit blunt (something i can never be accused of tongue.gif )

#47 Norrie

Norrie

Novice director

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 05:37 PM

(lucindamc123)
your nor anyone else's negative opinion does not matter to me in the least.

Sorry, where exactly in my post was I negative towards you?

(lucindamc123)
You do not pay my mortgage. But it does make me feel better that so many other people who do use this product did respond so nicely to me when they knew I was probably feeling badly.

So, you need validation from (see below) false people on the internet?

(lucindamc123)
This is unfortunately something people seem to forget, there are real people here who do not hide behind fake pseudonyms and who are also public people..

Not at all sure where you're going with this, but if you're accusing others of dishonesty, it's a bit hypocritical, given that you asked for honesty smile.gif

(lucindamc123)
But now I know who does not like my work and that is good because i can happily ignore them.

So, lets be honest here. You ask for honesty, and now you state that it's good because you can ignore them?

I'm glad you're happy in ignoring others' opinions, I hope you see the irony.

(lucindamc123)
As fpr me I am crying all the way to the bank as I just got my first PAYING gig for a movie to be released in a theater.

Really? Strange: I thought it was all about the "art".

#48 Xolotl

Xolotl

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 429 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 05:46 PM

Little known forum rule:
Never post a thread asking for the forum members to be honest, unless you want some sheer entertainment.

#49 matt

matt

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 956 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 05:50 PM

(johnnie)
Please remember to be courteous and civil, everybody. There's nothing wrong with well-argued discussion and constructive criticism, but there's no justification for outright insults. Please re-read the Moviestorm Community Guidelines, to which we expect everyone to adhere.

Uh-oh, things seem to be getting a bit heated.

If this gets out of hand, I'll have to kill this thread, and I don't want to do that. Keep it civil, and don't let it get too personal.

Cheers,
Matt Kelland
Moviestorm Founder

#50 Norrie

Norrie

Novice director

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 06:06 PM

(matt)
Uh-oh, things seem to be getting a bit heated.

If this gets out of hand, I'll have to kill this thread, and I don't want to do that. Keep it civil, and don't let it get too personal.

Cheers,

I thought I was disinterest personified.
If this seems heated you must love cold baked beans Matt.
I see little "heat", no "flaming", and no personal attacks.

I'm sorry, but if someone asked for an honest response, and gets it, where's the problem? Seems perfectly civil to me.

I could, for example, say: "Saving Grace: You whored it to encourage customers"
Is that lockable?

I suppose the hand is yours in the end. Odd that a thread asking for honesty gets this treatment though.

#51 mrjoyce

mrjoyce

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 586 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 06:59 PM

My, My, Moviestorm must be maturing into something worth using. If films made in this tool were not hauled over the hot coals - then I would question if Moviestorm was worth the effort.

I've been called in print, by Producers like Joel Silver, "Mike Joyce is a ***king scum bag". Got many job offers from that little quote. So if a film or it's parts are soundly beaten up, then there must be something happening.

I for one can say that if you get into the movie limelight you have to grow a thick skin and take the bile with the good. If you really care what is thrown at your work, then I would say that you may save yourself a lot of grief by going into another field.

The fact that the work is being shown on TV or in a Theatre should be enough praise.
"The enemy of art is the absence of limitations" - Orson Welles

Pineapple Pictures
http://pinechunks.blogspot.com/

#52 Norrie

Norrie

Novice director

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 07:20 PM

You see, once again your argument doesn't cut it with me.
I'm sorry, but here's what it is.

No one cares that you once met famous people. No one cares that people who read this forum know famous people, or get their MS products on Cable TV in some U.S. State.

I truly get annoyed when the "I care not, I'm an artist" meets the "I thought your film was crap" mentality.

Anyone can make this stuff... lots do for fun, as a hobby, as a diversion from the important things in life.

I do, however, get somewhat cross when people try to insist that it's art, and therefore important.

Sorry, no.
Do what you do for the pleasure... not for the pain.

If you want self validation, go to myspace, don't confuse your films with who you are.

#53 Chris Ollis

Chris Ollis

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1631 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 07:59 PM

(Norrie)
don't confuse your films with who you are.

That's an interesting thing to say. Is it not possible to use movies as an extension of yourself? as a way of telling stories that are a grand, visual way of simply getting your point across and saying, this is me, I hope I can entertain you while we are all here for five minutes?

Speaking personally, I create movies, images and small animations as an outlet, a way to detox from the stresses and strains of everyday life. If the world is irritating me, I find nothing more cathartic than putting pen to paper or 3d model in to motion and either shouting out the problems or creating something so utterly ridiculous that I (and hopefully others) can only laugh. These creations are me, not the drudgery of everyday life that fits in between.
They speak volumes about my psychological profile, if people want to know who I am they only need to look at the stupid things I put up on YouTube and other sites. Virtual film making, animating, drawing, creating music, it IS who many people are and it IS the most important thing to them.

Granted a film maker who is in the business of making calculated depictions of other peoples scripts and stories is not portraying his/her own life then, but that is a different aspect of film making. One that is simply a job. The amateur film maker in my eyes, truthfully can put their heart on the screen. And that is why I spend so many of my waking hours building this package and am so glad that so many people can talk so passionately about such things in these forums.

Chris Ollis
Caretaker of www.moddingstorm.co.uk, the one stop shop for all your extra addon needs
Plus Minor Web Celebrity, Viral Guru, Advertising storyboarder, Toy designer, BBC and Channel4 comedy writer/animator :D

#54 Guppi

Guppi

Moviegoer

• Pioneers
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 08:13 PM

(lucindamc123)
And how many movies have you had on TV, Guppi? i know where this is coming from and it does not bother me.

None. I don't think my movies are good enough to be on TV, I wouldn't want to hurt that many people at once. However, I still think they're better than yours.
My post came from one modder to another.

(Poulet Noir)
Guppi's post is particularly irritating as I've seen nothing from them here on Moviestorm, even though they have Pioneer.

I haven't made anything for or with moviestorm but I don't think that denies me the right to an opinion.
For PN, here are my mods
MODS
and here are my movies
MOVIES

I welcome any honest opinions of my work, even if you think they are crap.

mGm

#55 Norrie

Norrie

Novice director

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 08:29 PM

(Chris Ollis)
(Norrie)
don't confuse your films with who you are.

That's an interesting thing to say. Is it not possible to use movies as an extension of yourself? as a way of telling stories that are a grand, visual way of simply getting your point across and saying, this is me, I hope I can entertain you while we are all here for five minutes?

(lets turn this thread round to good, intelligent discussion shall we?)

No Chris it's not right to make your movies an extension of yourself. Unless you're very, very, very good.

It's my contention that no one here is that good.
Sorry,guys (including people I love), it's not.
Deal with it, accept it, have fun with it.

Face facts. If it wasn't, you'd have moved on like the young, successful ones... oh, wait. We're back to the OP nonsense.

The fact is that no one should define themselves by a program (or programs) that allow themselves to (in their mind) express themselves. It's jejune.

(I said facts a lot, and none of them are my opinions. I don't do that)

#56 Chris Ollis

Chris Ollis

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1631 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 08:44 PM

(Norrie)
No Chris it's not right to make your movies an extension of yourself. Unless you're very, very, very good.

Good? at what, making movies or life? and who judges? :?

I make a lot of images and animations on another forum in a deliberately low resolution as I believe the point of a piece often outweighs the technique. I can do a 400 pixel wide, aliased image in Paint that will make people laugh. That in my mind is a part of me. I can also do very high res FMV sequences with full cloth and hair dynamics, AO, GI, FG, caustics, sub surface scattering, mocap driven facial animation and so forth, that is clearly of a much higher quality - but that is not me.

Films can be who someone is, and also not. I think there are two sides, maybe you are yet to put yourself in to a production wink.gif

I do agree that the tool you use is irrelevant though, Moviestorm is simply the medium for the people here, like watercolours, oil paints or the written word. But I firmly believe that the films being made here are very much the people making them.
Chris Ollis
Caretaker of www.moddingstorm.co.uk, the one stop shop for all your extra addon needs
Plus Minor Web Celebrity, Viral Guru, Advertising storyboarder, Toy designer, BBC and Channel4 comedy writer/animator :D

#57 Norrie

Norrie

Novice director

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 09:46 PM

(Chris Ollis)
(Norrie)

Good? at what, making movies or life? and who judges? :

Good at being yourself Chris, and then why would you care who judges?
This has gone far from the OP, yet not. My original points stands I think. Why did the OP go from "someone didn't like my mods" to "why am I not liked" in one post? And make a thread about it.

I'll admit, the tortured artist bollocks annoys me, it's just more whining.
If you're artist, then create. Don't go looking for anonymous approval on the internet. Sheesh, is it just me, or is that what they do?

I'm not trying to denigrate anyone here, far from it. But this "I'm an artist, therefore you're all wrong" annoys me.
It's hackneyed, solipsistic, and self defeating in the end.

Merit will always win out, some people need to learn some humility.

Here endeth the lesson smile.gif

#58 dreeko

dreeko

Wannabe film-maker

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 10:05 PM

kill this thread

its going nowhere and as i predicted its turned into a battle of egos and the biggest yawn ive seen on the forum so far

#59 tapeduck

tapeduck

Critically acclaimed

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 10:05 PM

(Norrie)
So, you need validation from (see below) false people on the internet?

hmmm, I like to think I'm not a false person.. lemme check to make sure.... * runs to look in the mirror, and pokes himself hard with a large pointy stick * yep I'm a real person..

I'm not validating anyone that just asks for it myself.

*note before the flames head my way here . the following is spoken , errr typed, err whatever.. in general, not in direction towards anyone in particular *

You gotta admit Lucinda has done a great amount of modding and work with Moviestorm, be it something you may think is crap, or something you love. Either way its your opinion right?

I've learned over the years, it doesn't matter how good you are with something, be it animating, modeling, whistling, dancing the river dance while drinking three glasses of ale at the same time while balancing four shivering chipmunks trained in the shao lin martials arts, fighting to the death on your shoulders,, etc. etc. etc. someone somewhere will always, ALWAYS want to talk bad about you or your stuff.

you cannot please everyone. The only one you should concern yourself with, is trying to please yourself * didn't mean it to sound that way laugh.gif :mrgreen:

#60 roguevirus

roguevirus

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 703 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 10:13 PM

(Norrie)
I do, however, get somewhat cross when people try to insist that it's art, and therefore important.

errr art can be friverlous and silly can't it ? also it tends to be subjective hence what is important to one man is not to the next man.

tbh you need to be a little more subjective and care not wether or not someone thinks their work is art......does it matter. Why do you care !!