• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#61 dreeko

dreeko

Wannabe film-maker

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 10:22 PM

did anyone record the time of death for this thread?

#62 Norrie

Norrie

Novice director

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 11:19 PM

(roguevirus)
(Norrie)

I do, however, get somewhat cross when people try to insist that it's art, and therefore important.

errr art can be friverlous and silly can't it ? also it tends to be subjective hence what is important to one man is not to the next man.

tbh you need to be a little more subjective and care not wether or not someone thinks their work is art......does it matter. Why do you care !!

You're absolutely right, of course, Rogue. The quote of mine you used was badly worded.
I later used this: "I'll admit, the tortured artist bollocks annoys me, it's just more whining."
and that's more what I was trying to say, the "tortured" part.

Personally, I would love it if the artists became more frivolous and silly.
Self deprecation is a truly wonderful thing; particularly in a hobby like machinima.

I mean, kudos to all those who are making money out of it (and retaining their artistic, nay tortured, soul), but most folk are doing it for fun...
you know, the thing you do to relax after working all day?

I've seen the fun be stifled by "creativity" and "artists" elsewhere; I just think that too serious becomes too severe too easily at times. Not everyone is Monet, Picasso, or Van Gogh... nor should they aspire to be.

My apologies to the anonymous people on the internet (whom I have no way of verifying their veracity), and the ones who want "killing" because there is discussion.

#63 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 01:48 AM

Well this as certainly generated a lot of interest although I am too busy to read every word of everyone's posts.

I like to make movies. I like making them from my own scripts and from other people's scripts. Making them from other people's scripts is easier because with my own I tend to rewrite as I film -- not real practical. And of course reading someone else's words is a lot of fun when you are working at making a movie.

I was saying a few months ago that in a year or so we will be doing on our computers that cost less than $1000 what we are seeing only in movie theaters now, well that time is even closer. In a couple of months you are going to be very surprised at what all of you will be able to produce on your computers with Moviestorm and other programs. The technology is growing even faster than I imagined a few months ago.

I am thankful to the Moviestorm staff and to Matt for the recent interview that brought me my current opportunity. And I am thankful to Lionhead too because if I had not, purely out of curiosity and the thought of fun picked up my copy of The Movies, I would not be doing what I am doing today.

#64 Poulet Noir

Poulet Noir

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1135 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 06:22 AM

(Guppi)
I haven't made anything for or with moviestorm but I don't think that denies me the right to an opinion.
For PN, here are my mods
MODS
and here are my movies
MOVIESmGm
Guppi, you have some great-looking mods there, thanks for the link. Makes me wish I hadn't disposed of the Movies way-back-when. Unfortunately I'm not a member of TMU, so couldn't watch any of your movies: I must remedy that some time. And, okay, you know what you're talking about when it comes to modding!

So, at the risk of opening another can of worms: it looks like you've known about Moviestorm for a long time (Pioneer status and all that), how come you haven't produced anything with Moviestorm? (That comes across as confrontational, but actually I'm just curious)

PN
"Come back Black Chicken! Leave us an egg or something..." Love at First Bite

Hosting for the Urban Decay Pack thanks to Ichikaiden ... Bat avatar used by kind permission of Jon Huckeby. Check out his blog!

#65 dreeko

dreeko

Wannabe film-maker

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 08:15 AM

(norrie)
My apologies to the anonymous people on the internet (whom I have no way of verifying their veracity), and the ones who want "killing" because there is discussion.

who could you mean hahah!

#66 Guppi

Guppi

Moviegoer

• Pioneers
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 07:02 PM

(Poulet Noir)
So, at the risk of opening another can of worms: it looks like you've known about Moviestorm for a long time (Pioneer status and all that), how come you haven't produced anything with Moviestorm? (That comes across as confrontational, but actually I'm just curious)

PN

I'm assuming that pioneer status came about because I downloaded the Beta way back whenever it was released. I tried it a few times but couldn't really get into it. I hear it's very different now so who knows, I may try it again at some point.

mGm

#67 frathom40

frathom40

Novice director

• Pioneers
  • 59 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 12:24 AM

Lucinda,

While some of your mods are not to my liking (and many, I love), I have to say that you have shown great talent in this area. Your movies also show great talent and imagination.
However, what irks me are the number of threads you start that seem to be nothing more than whining about something or other. These kinds of threads make you appear to be something of a drama queen.
Now, I'm sorry if my honesty causes you distress, but you did ask for honesty. My advice, keep up the good work on your movies and mods, but quit the complaining, please.
If the voices in my head paid rent, I'd be a wealthy man.