38 replies to this topic

#21 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 02:44 PM

QUOTE (primaveranz @ May 29 2014, 1:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just noticed this line :- "Addons from the pre-1.0 version of Moviestorm now work when installed in the user Addon folder."

Does that mean we can all get hold of that semi-mythical Pioneer's Addon that apparently contained a bunch of extra animations? wink.gif

No more so than before, sorry.

I think someone had found a tank mod by davidwww that was published pre 1.0 and that only worked when installed in the main installation, which should now work when installed in the user Addon folder.
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#22 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 02:56 PM

QUOTE (tree @ May 29 2014, 5:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Freeze on LowMemory: (chrome such a memory hog..... ;-)
When I run MS 1.6.4 on low memory and use of the menu eg: Constant speed option on movable objects
screenshot: http://goo.gl/aULOAY
I get a frozen program and Log file giving me OutOfMemoryError in the VM when i try to change a movable object to 'constant speed"
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Requested array size exceeds VM limit. From the screenshot above, it makes sense... though there is no warnings from the new memory gadgets...

The same 'freeze :OutOfMemoryError will also happen when my system is very low on memory and i open and use other menus..

None of the above problems happen if memory usage is below < 85%

The new green memory gauges don't reflect/show a low overall memory from my system ... They were just about close to empty on each repeatable crash.

Do you mean memory usage for your system as a whole? I'm afraid with the java libraries I'm using for memory management stuff I'm only getting info on heap space and a certain type of non-heap memory. I don't think this covers general system memory availability, however.

Had you previously changed the amount of heap memory assigned to Moviestorm? If so, how much does it have? (Too much might cause problems with available address space)

Did the mobile object have quite a long movement path?

Would Be nice to be able to toggle these memory gadgets off/on and just be noticeable when there is a memory issue.. otherwise just distractible and not that useful when things are going well.
Suggestion: why not have a dialog box pop-up warning of the lack of overall memory; suggesting to close MovieStorm and other programs to clear up memory; this way a freeze/crash is avoided...

The issue isn't really MovieStorm.... it's how I'm using my computer... beyond it's memory capacity....
A simple "Low Memory" warning app outside of MS would do the trick of warnings to cut on the multi-tasking...

Render
Not an error; more of a curiosity..
Render 1080p screen ==> while rendering, shows on screen at a smaller size. (I'm sure it didn't shrink in the previous version) Though complete movie plays at 1080p

Testing Computer win8.1 4000 series integrated graphics and 4gig ram 64bit....

That seems odd. Does it happen every time?
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#23 tree

tree

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 921 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 12:50 AM

QUOTE (Ben_S @ May 30 2014, 12:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Do you mean memory usage for your system as a whole? I'm afraid with the java libraries I'm using for memory management stuff I'm only getting info on heap space and a certain type of non-heap memory. I don't think this covers general system memory availability, however.

Had you previously changed the amount of heap memory assigned to Moviestorm? If so, how much does it have? (Too much might cause problems with available address space)

Did the mobile object have quite a long movement path?

That seems odd. Does it happen every time?

Yes, seems odd... gets odder... but make sense in the end...
There was Corruption somewhere in my user folders...(deleted my user_directory C:\Users\<username>\Moviestorm"moviestorm" directory... then Transfered my 3rdParty addons to the user ADDON directory and the "MS_MOVIES" back to the USER MOVIES section
Errors gone and render video at usual sizes.

I suspect that corruption of some files inside of my USER MOVIESTORM DIRECTORY caused by low-memory crashes.... though only showing up in the 1.6.4 beta

Do you mean memory usage for your system as a whole?
Yes, memory usage as a whole... MS. 1.6.4 has been very stable when not over-taxing my system memory.

Render Issue,:
Laptop (integrated graphics)
happen every time (5times tested with low memory then "cuttingRoom" error below), only on my series 4000 integrated graphics win8.1 laptop...

Note: I didn't get a warning message about the screen resolution being smaller then the render format... whereas i did get the warning popup on the desktop computer...

New problem: Cutting Room:
screenshot:
laptop: cutting room crash on 1.6.4beta... (no crash on 1.6.3, tested with only addons installed: Core & Base , no addons in the USER addons area)
Made a copy of the working 1.6.3 MS install then patched to 1.6.4.... => same error

To Troubleshoot further; I ran another Account on Laptop: Logged in as a new user, A new user directory is automatically built, though still using the 1.6.4 MS install ==> No errors

Then (back to my usual win8.1 account with the problem) Deleted my USER MOVIESTORM directory (moved the addons and Movies out to put back after MovieStorm program automatically builds a new USER Directory.... == > this fixed the problems above... cutting room good, Renders correctly

Desktop (Nvida graphics)
Desktop is ok; though running a 1080p monitor, with screen resolution of 1080 but i get a warning message that the screen isn't at the correct resolution and if i want to continue to render.... It then renders at full screen with the menu bar showing (only at render... not in produced video)

Setting MovieStorm to "Full screen Mode" on Desktop or Laptop no-popups of the screen resolution being too small.
So I guess rendering with the "Windowed 1080p mode" cuts a few pixels off the full 1080p. If I run on a monitor bigger then 1080p on a 'windowed mode' no problems.

All is well in the end; ..... Great Updates and Thanks Ben

@Ben
Your questions:
"Did the mobile object have quite a long movement path?" short path with the object having animations... No problems seen as yet running my system sensibly and after ReGeneration ( drWho wink.gif )

#24 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 10:03 AM

Next time you have a problem like that, please dont just delete your Moviestorm user folder, keep a copy of it - seeing the files that cause the problem could be very useful for me.

The most likely suspects in your Moviestorm user folder are:
machinimascope.properties (config file, includes things like window positions, preferences for shadowmap size, etc...) This would be one to give me a copy of, if it seems to be broken.
.cache (contains your current movie for 'Resume', and some shader caches)
AddOn (contains your user addons; addons are quite capable of completely breaking Moviestorm)

Error messages like those ones (unknown hud component requested), would be much more useful if accompanied by a log.txt please.

Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#25 tree

tree

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 921 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 11:34 PM

QUOTE (Ben_S @ May 30 2014, 8:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Next time you have a problem like that, please dont just delete your Moviestorm user folder, keep a copy of it - seeing the files that cause the problem could be very useful for me.

The most likely suspects in your Moviestorm user folder are:
machinimascope.properties (config file, includes things like window positions, preferences for shadowmap size, etc...) This would be one to give me a copy of, if it seems to be broken.
.cache (contains your current movie for 'Resume', and some shader caches)
AddOn (contains your user addons; addons are quite capable of completely breaking Moviestorm)

Error messages like those ones (unknown hud component requested), would be much more useful if accompanied by a log.txt please.

I still have the User MS folder zipped 7z.. Can easily unpack those files and folders to you this weekend: via PM.

More error reporting on 1.6.4 beta: Testing on win8.1 laptop integrated graphics & Desktop nvidia:
I find another problem info.log message: "unable to set text on component JPanel" while doing blend walks.
I have no other addons installed... just core and base addons within the install windows directory...
This 'error' doesn't happen every time but is pretty consistent on both computers.
I don't see any problems in-game on both computers; just the info.log message.

Depth of field
Laptop(integrated graphics 4000 series) can not run "Depth of field" in 164beta... No change or refocus seen. It did sometimes turn the characters walk path into a slide path.
163 depth of field kind of worked, though would just lose focus until a new depth was turned off.

#26 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 05:47 PM

QUOTE (tree @ May 30 2014, 11:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
More error reporting on 1.6.4 beta: Testing on win8.1 laptop integrated graphics & Desktop nvidia:
I find another problem info.log message: "unable to set text on component JPanel" while doing blend walks.

Were there any symptoms? It will never be able to setText on a JPanel because JPanel doesn't have a setText method.

Depth of field
Laptop(integrated graphics 4000 series) can not run "Depth of field" in 164beta... No change or refocus seen. It did sometimes turn the characters walk path into a slide path.
163 depth of field kind of worked, though would just lose focus until a new depth was turned off.

I would not expect that graphics chip to be able to do depth of field properly; but if you have shaders off, or even depth of field off (maybe after resetting your settings), then it would not even try to do it.
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#27 sosberg

sosberg

Master Director

• Members
  • 307 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 12:25 PM

Love it! laugh.gif some really great improvements. biggrin.gif Thanks Ben smile.gif
I would like to see us get this place right first before we have the arrogance to put significantly flawed civilizations out onto other planets, even though they may be utterly uninhabited.
--PATRICK STEWART--

#28 mattzart30

mattzart30

Master Director

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 11:14 PM

I've been using the beta version pretty steadily on a very large and involved scene. I've been using the new facial expression function and the navmesh moves extensively. I haven't had any issues with the new features, and I am finding the memory monitor absolutely invaluable.

#29 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5234 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 11:52 PM

QUOTE (mattzart30 @ Jun 4 2014, 11:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've been using the beta version pretty steadily on a very large and involved scene.

..nerves of steel wink.gif

"If we only use 1/3 of our brain, what's the other 1/3 for?"

#30 ArthurVKuhrmeier

ArthurVKuhrmeier

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 492 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 12:15 AM

Holy cow... I was so busy recently that I completely missed that one.

Improvements sound awesome. Thanks a lot, Ben. I will certainly try it pretty soon.

Arthur smile.gif

#31 kkffoo

kkffoo

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 3269 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 10:35 AM

I'm having trouble installing the licence.
I browse to the file (folder) I downloaded, and the only option I have is 'open' which leaves me with a bunch of files, none of which seem to satisfy the dialog box.
The options I have are boot, lib etc.
I wondered if the patch was being converted to a zip folder after download, so i tried changing the folder name to .addon ...which I know isn't right for this.
Any clues anyone?

#32 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:40 AM

QUOTE (kkffoo @ Jun 10 2014, 10:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm having trouble installing the licence.
I browse to the file (folder) I downloaded, and the only option I have is 'open' which leaves me with a bunch of files, none of which seem to satisfy the dialog box.
The options I have are boot, lib etc.
I wondered if the patch was being converted to a zip folder after download, so i tried changing the folder name to .addon ...which I know isn't right for this.
Any clues anyone?

The file you downloaded should be a zip file.
In the launcher, on the login panel (after you have logged out and clicked log in), you should be able to browse and see zip fiiles and folders. You just need to select the zip file you downloaded.
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#33 kkffoo

kkffoo

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 3269 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 06:25 PM

Working now thanks!
Who knows what happened....I moved the zip from my downloads to another folder and was trying from there...tried installing straight from downloads..worked fine... blink.gif

#34 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5234 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 10:16 PM

I hope this means more MS output from the kkffoomeistress! wink.gif

"If we only use 1/3 of our brain, what's the other 1/3 for?"

#35 kkffoo

kkffoo

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 3269 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 10:37 AM

I am ridiculously delighted than Ben has found time to work on updates for the desktop version of Moviestorm.
I'd love to think I could find time this year.

#36 pedrosura

pedrosura

Master Director

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 07:08 PM

Odd behavior,

In 1.6.4
I am getting reports of addons used in a particular movie that are not used at all.? I am not sure why MS thinks those addons belong to
My movie. For example, there are some music addons, like the R&B that shows up in my movies. AVK Pimples is another one. Any idea of why this happens??

#37 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 12:14 PM

QUOTE (pedrosura @ Aug 26 2014, 7:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Odd behavior,

In 1.6.4
I am getting reports of addons used in a particular movie that are not used at all.? I am not sure why MS thinks those addons belong to
My movie. For example, there are some music addons, like the R&B that shows up in my movies. AVK Pimples is another one. Any idea of why this happens??

Are the sound clips added in the clip bin? That counts as using them, even if they are not on your cutting room timeline.

I'm not sure what is in AVK Pimples, so it's hard to assess why it is being incorrectly detected as being used.

If you were to make a .sharedmovie for me, which would include those addon references, then I would be able to re-run it on mine, with your movie, and see why the references are being created (and possibly fix things so that if it is an error, it no longer happens).
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#38 pedrosura

pedrosura

Master Director

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 12:16 AM

QUOTE (Ben_S @ Aug 27 2014, 12:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Are the sound clips added in the clip bin? That counts as using them, even if they are not on your cutting room timeline.

I'm not sure what is in AVK Pimples, so it's hard to assess why it is being incorrectly detected as being used.

If you were to make a .sharedmovie for me, which would include those addon references, then I would be able to re-run it on mine, with your movie, and see why the references are being created (and possibly fix things so that if it is an error, it no longer happens).

Ben, Acoording to Arthur if an addon makes reference to the Universal Head then MS will think the movie has that particular addon. Here is an message Arthur sent me....

Does that make sense to you?..

> Hi Pedro,
>
> it actually is a bug in Moviestorm. E.g. I have Chris' beard pack installed. If I create a male puppet -- even without a beard -- Chris' mod is listed in the required addons. Tell Ben IMO the bug is: Moviestorm lists all addons that refer to the "Universal Head.bodypart" whether used or not.
>
> If you don't use an addon but Moviestorm warns you it was required, click the option "Try to load". Normally that works.
>
> Happy storming,
> Arthur :-)

#39 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 03:40 PM

Thanks, that was enough for me to find the bug; if there were decals in the alternate Universal Head, such as in the beards addon or (presumably) the pimples addon, then the code that found the set of materials was including all the possible decals, and thus the ones from the extra addons.

It now seems to work with a fix to that.

Thanks for letting me know about it.
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd