3 replies to this topic

#1 spenayoung

spenayoung

Director

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 01:50 PM

Hello Everyone,

Is there a way to customize the computer voice for MS? I have a few good computer voices installed on my Mac, but I can't seem to get MS to read with those instead of the default male voice (I need a female voice). 

This is for the "say" window, where you type in text and the MS reads it back with the TTYL option. 

Thank you!

Sabrina

Sabrina Pena Young
Composer/Filmmaker/Sci-fi Junkie
Libertaria: The Virtual Opera

You must unlearn what you have learned.
Visit My Website

#2 jamoram62

jamoram62

Master Director

• Members
  • 544 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 06:46 PM

I'd say you can't, but maybe I'm wrong.  It would had been a nice feature (as nice as TTS can be) being able to associate specific voices to different characters, but I'm afraid, if ever planned, it was left out.

ars longa vita brevis - Hippocrates (attributed)

If you want to tell jokes then use Muvizu; if you want to make 'Movies', use iClone; but if you want to tell stories, use Moviestorm - PrimaveraNZ

Shared addons & stuff for Moviestorm: https://drive.google...aTNsSFBuN0sxZHM

#3 spenayoung

spenayoung

Director

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 02:47 PM

That's what I thought. 

I have a workaround, where I record it separately then use that audio and copy/paste the text into the dialog box for accuracy, but I was hoping there was a way to change it. I tried messing with my computer's default voice to see if there was a connection, but it wasn't. 

As a side note, there are lots of "realistic" sounding voices out there. They aren't great for acting purposes, but for folks putting together educational products, it's passible. 

- Sabrina

Sabrina Pena Young
Composer/Filmmaker/Sci-fi Junkie
Libertaria: The Virtual Opera

You must unlearn what you have learned.
Visit My Website

#4 jamoram62

jamoram62

Master Director

• Members
  • 544 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 06:32 PM

I have a workaround, where I record it separately then use that audio and copy/paste the text into the dialog box for accuracy, but I was hoping there was a way to change it.

That's the way to go, unless you choose to add the dialogues in post-production, which I think is not recommendable (on the other hand, you'll always have the option to edit the audio with your favourite video editor).

And, as you've pointed out, what's highly recommended is pasting the text in the dialog box. It does help a lot to the lip-syncing routines.

I tried messing with my computer's default voice to see if there was a connection, but it wasn't.

Again, I think not. And rest assured this is not a limitation from running Moviestorm running on a MacOS X: it happens also on a Windows systems.

As a side note, there are lots of "realistic" sounding voices out there. They aren't great for acting purposes, but for folks putting together educational products, it's passible.

Ah, the day TTS systems will be able to convey emotion...  But yes, a naturally sounding voice pack might be a worthwhile asset for some purposes.

ars longa vita brevis - Hippocrates (attributed)

If you want to tell jokes then use Muvizu; if you want to make 'Movies', use iClone; but if you want to tell stories, use Moviestorm - PrimaveraNZ

Shared addons & stuff for Moviestorm: https://drive.google...aTNsSFBuN0sxZHM