11 replies to this topic

#1 iceaxe

iceaxe

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1193 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 12:11 PM

Hi,

is there a walk-thru for using the lighting rig?

It seems like each time you add Play Patterns you can only move the lights to a given position and set their colour. What I'm looking for is an option that makes the lights move and/or change colour and/or flash on and off (i.e. a ready made show). Is this possible?

Basically, I don't understand the customise or Edit Patterns interfaces :cry:

#2 davidwww

davidwww

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1881 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 05:24 AM

Maybe this thread will help, its the only walk through I could find.
http://www.moviestor.../list/1672.page

Regards
Davidwww

Moviestorm still Number One

#3 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 09:36 AM

I fear Johnnies guide my be out of date now, as the method of using it changed.

I think the key think to understand about the way it works now, is that each activity can do something; each time you want the lights to move, you can add a new activity.

Start your lighting rig by clicking on it and selecting the 'Play Pattern(s)' activity. Then customise the activity that appears on the timeline. You can then add patterns to play.

The most important pattern to find to start with is AllOn; look for it in the Name dropdown, and click Add.
Also, you could choose a colour (eg AllYellow) and a shape (eg Fan1), and add them to the pattern.
When you play the timeline, the lights should come on, yellow, and fan out.

Then add a second 'Play Pattern(s)' and customise it; add another shape or colour, to have the lights change how they look.

At the end, add a 'Play Pattern(s)' which uses the AllOff pattern. This is particularly important, as there is an issue which means that the lighting rig doesnt reset to being off at the beginning of the timeline when you scrub or rewind it; playing past an 'AllOff' pattern works, though.

Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#4 johnnie

johnnie

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 860 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 12:42 PM

The guide that was linked to is indeed partially out-of-date. However, using my incredible Technical Author skills, I shall now create a new and up-to-date guide in the privacy of your own hard drive ... drum roll ... Ta-da!

Don't believe me? Launch Moviestorm, and click the Help icon (the '?' button in the corner). From the links under "Find out more", choose "Tutorials". Now click "MusicVideo01", and finally click "Creating Your Own Light Show". See? Magic! [1]

For my next trick, I'll document the way that the new Pattern Editor works, but that will involve a slightly more mundane method, known to privileged members of the Technical Author Circle as "Writing the bit that you still haven't got around to writing yet, preferably before anyone notices that you haven't written it - darn it, too late".

[1] This trick will only work if you have the Music Video 01 pack installed and you've updated to the latest version.
Johnnie Ingram
Co-Author, Machinima For Dummies

QUOTE (The Overcast @ July 23 2006)

#5 Fulkster

Fulkster

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 2292 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 02:38 PM

...ooh, add "magician" to Johnnie's resume! (wow!) :mrgreen:
The next big thing: MOVIESTORM!

See my most recent movie: "Athena Project: Chapter 2 (Down the Rabbit-hole)"
http://www.moviestor...p;vid_id=102329

(Soon, "Athena Project 3: The Laws Of Robotics"

Moddingstorm! Cool Mods!

#6 davidwww

davidwww

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1881 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 03:49 PM

I knew I should have waited until somebody came along that knew stuff :oops:
and I think johnnie is more of a prestidigitator, but only in the privacy of his own home :mrgreen:

Regards
David

#7 johnnie

johnnie

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 860 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 03:59 PM

(davidwww)
I think johnnie is more of a prestidigitator, but only in the privacy of his own home

Do you mind? That webcam is supposed to be for private use only.
Johnnie Ingram

#8 davidwww

davidwww

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1881 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 04:15 PM

(johnnie)
(davidwww)
I think johnnie is more of a prestidigitator, but only in the privacy of his own home

Do you mind? That webcam is supposed to be for private use only.

Well then you shouldn't have left it on, and for goodness sake put some pants on Geeez!
Oh and one other thing under your profile you have 2 bookmark entries, you should update one of them laugh.gif

Regards
David

#9 johnnie

johnnie

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 860 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 10:33 AM

You mean somebody's actually looking at that? Hmm. I'd better start bookmarking things again then. I stopped a few months back.
Johnnie Ingram

#10 Geiiga

Geiiga

Director

• Pioneers
  • 145 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 04:15 PM

Thread necromancy!

Anyway, for some reason working with all the shaders on in the crazy Song Contest set makes my computer cry, so I was hoping there was still a way to edit in text.

Also, is there a reason why when I choose the option of "allBlue," for instance, in the lighting rig, the lights come on green? allGreen seems to make them red, and the other colors are similarly well-marked.

#11 iceaxe

iceaxe

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1193 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 04:33 PM

I'm afraid the lighting rig is still a total mystery to me. I too get a glorious spread of green lights even though I haven't asked for any green.
In the end I gave up and went with the green. tongue.gif

Seriously though, the rig should be great but it totally has a life of its own. It is uncontrollable. And what is MSgobo anyway? It doesn't seem to do anything.

What I'd like is a "click this, this is what happens" idiots guide...

#12 Geiiga

Geiiga

Director

• Pioneers
  • 145 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 07:11 PM

Okay, I figured that part out: you have to start with the AllOn cue on your first lighting assignment. The problem I'm now having is that my crazy light show seems to require 80% of my computer processing power, which shouldn't be possible since MovieStorm can only use one cue. The result that follows is that nothing works. I'm having to abandon that scene and try again because if I move the timeline forward from 0:00, I can't edit anything.

I've noticed that when my scenes start to approach 3 minutes in length, the system resources required are astonishing.

So, new approach: light show is the last thing I do on this scene, then I render it and never touch or look at it again.

Also, in the LightShow directory in my save folder, there are two folders: Patterns, and Sequences. The patterns seems self-explanatory, but there's no apparent way to play a sequence. How does that part work?