• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 headrushindi

headrushindi

Wannabe film-maker

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 10 October 2015 - 07:27 AM

I began using the modders workshop last night and and followed the tutorial to the letter..i am trying to convert  a sketchup haunted house model which was saved as skecthup6, and trying to  put it into moviestorm..

everything was going well untill I reached the point where it was actually creating the  image in modders workshop. i set the scalable properties, etc etc  and clicked finish to let it do its thing and finish import process.when it finished the two little information boxes popped up to tell me all the vertices it imported in the model etc...However the list was so  long that it went WAY off the screen and it froze up the entire thing..I couldnt move it  enough to actually close out the little  windows so I could go onto the next step of finding the file in the addon table....i tried it twice ...same thing happened again...the pop up list of the entire import process is so huge that I cannot close them out to move on to the next step ...what can i do ??

thanks

Head Rush Independent Films

#2 writerly

writerly

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 848 posts

Posted 10 October 2015 - 04:43 PM

I find this is usualy caused by having too many textures on my model. And the list going off the end of the page thing is REALLY annoying. I think I fixed this once by messing with my monitor's resolution so I could get it to fit and finally close it.

C

#3 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5370 posts

Posted 10 October 2015 - 11:58 PM

I agree with Writerly. A lot of SketchUp models are pretty badly done as far as animation goes because they are primarily meant just to be viewed as static models. There are often hidden geometries that can just be deleted.

In SketchUp open the "Window" menu then choose "Model Info" and see how many "Materials" there are. Often you can replace several materials with a single one in Sketchup before exporting.

With SketchUp models I also found it was worth selecting the entire model, right-clicking and choosing "Explode" (repeating this until you don't get the option any more) to get rid of all the "Components" and reduce the model to its basics.

Then check in the same window I mentioned above, how many edges and faces there are. Some of these models have tens of thousands of faces which make for very poor prospects for animation. You can often rework them to reduce the issues though.

"If we only use 1/3 of our brain, what's the other 1/3 for?"

#4 pedrosura

pedrosura

Master Director

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 12:05 AM

Solution..

When the list goes off the screen..

Just hit RETURN

and it will close. Very simple.

#5 mattzart30

mattzart30

Master Director

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 02:02 AM

Yeah, I agree.  I have that issue all the time and 95% of the time, the model works just fine in MS along with other high poly models with lots of submeshes.     I just hit return and finish the import.    For whatever reason, I seem able to get away with having models much, much, more complex than the advisable limits.  :)    MS staff was taking a look at one of my completed movie packages and noted that one of my models in the scene was 36X the advisable limit and they couldn't even open the file, but I had no issue opening it or working with/exporting my movie.

That isn't to say it isn't a good idea to delete as much unnecessary geometry as possible in your sketchup model before you import.  For example, with buildings or models where all you need is the facade, a lot of times I will hide the visible layers in sketchup and then delete everything else (in a sense, gutting the inside of the model).  A lot of times you might have a hugely high poly model, but the part of it that is taking up all of the geometry might be something inconsequential that you don't need.    For example, I was importing a model of a spear.   It looked so simple, but on import, it had a crazy number of verticals.   Turns out that there were a few teeny tiny bolts on the spear, to make it look like the metal part of the spear was joined to the wooden shaft.    They were crazy high poly and you can barely see them.  Deleting then changed the model from having thousands of verticals to about 220.

A lot of users seemed to resort to having simple prims and applying imagines to them -- personally, I do not think this looks very nice, especially if the camera is moving as the aspect ratio and perspective illusion isn't true from every angle and it also produces some pretty drab sets.     I'm all for testing the limits of what you can get away with and then scale back from there :)

#6 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 02:10 PM

Ideally the complexity of the model should be mostly in the texture maps rather than the mesh; good normal and specular maps can add a lot of detail that would otherwise need to have polygons.

Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd