11 replies to this topic

#1 pedrosura

pedrosura

Master Director

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 07:44 PM

Hello,

I am a new user of MS. One area that this website is lacking is the need for it to host user mods. Currently, mods are scattered all over the place. In many cases there are links that have long been removed or the website that hosted them are no longer active (Michinimods?). I am of the opinion that this function is more important than MS hosting movies since there are many options out there like Youtube, Vimeo, etc..
It has happened way to many times that I go to links that are invalid. I have been able to still download many pf he mods but it would serve the product amd the users a lot better if there was a central place to upload/download mods.
I think that MS is a really great product and I hope it grows..

Pedro

#2 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5365 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 08:26 PM

I would say there is no chance of this ever happening. It has been discussed various times in the past but MS don't have the resources (or desire) to host and manage 3rd party addons.

"If we only use 1/3 of our brain, what's the other 1/3 for?"

#3 pedrosura

pedrosura

Master Director

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 04:58 AM

QUOTE (primaveranz @ Aug 6 2014, 8:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would say there is no chance of this ever happening. It has been discussed various times in the past but MS don't have the resources (or desire) to host and manage 3rd party addons.

Makes sense. I got the feeling there would be a reason. The need is obvious..

#4 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 11:22 AM

While not able to offer anything in the near future, this is something we are reconsidering. The situation of mods becoming unavailable over time is not a desirable one.

What information should be associated with a mod?
I was thinking it would be good to know some basics such as:
mod name
publisher
user
description/contents of the mod
thumbnail image

Anything else?

Video link (writerly)
Dependencies (kkffoo)
Comments / forum thread (willshetterly)
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#5 writerly

writerly

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 848 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 02:15 PM

QUOTE (Ben_S @ Aug 12 2014, 11:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What information should be associated with a mod?

Anything else?

Puppet type: Male01 or Female01 or some new puppet (what me hinting?)
Demo Video URL:

Would both be useful.
C

#6 kkffoo

kkffoo

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 3285 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 02:30 PM

Whether the mod has any dependencies (is that the right word?)
For instance, some of my clothing mods are just re-textures which require the user to have a particular official pack to make them work.

#7 willshetterly

willshetterly

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1356 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 08:45 PM

It would be great if people could leave comments on the mods. I realize that might require more moderation, but it would be the simplest way for modders to get feedback and for buyers to learn about bugs or features that might not be in the original post.

#8 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 02:39 PM

QUOTE (willshetterly @ Aug 12 2014, 8:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It would be great if people could leave comments on the mods. I realize that might require more moderation, but it would be the simplest way for modders to get feedback and for buyers to learn about bugs or features that might not be in the original post.

Would a link to a forum thread about the mod work as a good alternative to comments?
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#9 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 02:42 PM

QUOTE (writerly @ Aug 12 2014, 2:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Puppet type: Male01 or Female01 or some new puppet (what me hinting?)

Not all mods are about a puppet - I think this might be something that best goes in the description.
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#10 willshetterly

willshetterly

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1356 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 03:56 PM

QUOTE (Ben_S @ Aug 13 2014, 2:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Would a link to a forum thread about the mod work as a good alternative to comments?

I think so. I'm ambivalent about ratings, but having a specific place to discuss mods would be nice, so long as it's easy to find. A link would do that.

#11 willshetterly

willshetterly

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1356 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 04:03 PM

QUOTE (Ben_S @ Aug 13 2014, 2:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not all mods are about a puppet - I think this might be something that best goes in the description.

Having the category as optional might be nice. There could be a time when someone would want to do a search on male or female mods. Also, it reminds the modder to include the information if it's relevant. Maybe this would fall under "category" where you could have a few basic options: props, male figures, female figures, etc. If you go that route, I would include an "other" in case someone comes up with something you hadn't anticipated.

Hmm. Or you could have "tags" and let the modders include up to five tags of their own choosing.

#12 pedrosura

pedrosura

Master Director

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 02:18 PM

QUOTE (Ben_S @ Aug 13 2014, 2:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I like this idea. The mods website maybe suited best to to have the mod, description and a video url. We already have forums were we discuss mods. He problem is to see all these discussions and mods are nowhere to be found. Sometimes, not even the original modder has he mod. I think this would be a real improvement to MS and its users.