80 replies to this topic

#21 corthew

corthew

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 2357 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 07:54 PM

QUOTE (Ben_S @ Aug 29 2013, 5:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Let people load movies when there are missing things (from other addons). Replace missing objects with 'missing object' cubes, and shorten scenes with problem activities.

That's probably one of the best changes in this update. (my opinion).

QUOTE (Ben_S @ Aug 29 2013, 5:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
loading screen provides feedback on loading progress instead of making jokes about spline reticulation

Why so serious? wink.gif

QUOTE (primaveranz @ Aug 29 2013, 5:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Downloading now Ben. Thanks for all the hard work.

Now Prima, you know in a month or two you'll be complaining they never do updates. wink.gif
Sango: "If it was really a miracle everyone would have been saved."

Vargas: "But if everyone was saved how would anyone know it was a miracle."

Sango and Vargas arguing over the implications of one person surviving an unexpectedly active tidal season.

#22 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 11:42 PM

QUOTE (keithlawrence @ Sep 1 2013, 7:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I`m fully updated to 1.5.4 on my xp
I log out and press log in. I get the panel and my username is already where it should be. Password is blank. I press "Install licence", find my downloaded file and press install. Nothing happens, I`m just back at the panel with my username. If I log in...nothing. If I first type my password and then Install licence, do the prosess...still nothing. Anything I missed?

huh.gif blink.gif

Edit: Even renamed it with a ".zip" as it didn`t have that. Still notting

This last bit worries me; the file is a zip to start with; if you have to rename it, then you might not have the right thing. Check that it is 36,648,145 bytes.

Check that you are starting Moviestorm as an admin (otherwise you will not be able to install stuff).

And if it is still not working, provide me with a boot.log after trying to install the patch zip.
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#23 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5153 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 05:47 AM

OK... now I'm assuming this is coincidence but now when trying to use 1.5.4 on a machine which does not have the new beta on it, the "Use Prop" menu does nothing at all.
I just want to be reassured that there is no way any work you have done on 1.6. could accidentally have updated my 1.5.4 installation?

"If we only use 1/3 of our brain, what's the other 1/3 for?"

#24 Robear

Robear

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 308 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:43 AM

Thanks Ben.

Looking forward to testing this out.

Like kwistufa, I think I'll put it over a fresh install of MS.

Great work, guys!

#25 tree

tree

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 921 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 08:05 AM

I had the same problem of not being able to install the update with my windows 8 laptop but I brute forced my upgrade by manually overwriting with the contents of the beta zip file into a newly prepared moviestorm directory.

I run the win8 laptop on an admin account though it still asks me for privileges with a popup window on some user transferring of files into different directories.
I also set my Moviestorm.exe to run as administrator but still no install.

My brute-forced way to upgrade seems to work the same as my (another laptop) windows 7; which had no problems on the normal upgrade process.

#26 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 11:05 AM

QUOTE (primaveranz @ Sep 2 2013, 5:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OK... now I'm assuming this is coincidence but now when trying to use 1.5.4 on a machine which does not have the new beta on it, the "Use Prop" menu does nothing at all.
I just want to be reassured that there is no way any work you have done on 1.6. could accidentally have updated my 1.5.4 installation?

Your 'Moviestorm' user folder is shared by both, if they are on the same computer.
There is no 'patch' that will automatically install on 1.5.4, though.

If on the same computer, try renaming your Moviestorm user folder
(eg in C:/Users/[username]/Moviestorm )
Then run 1.5.4; it should create a new Moviestorm user folder - see if you can use props with that.

When you are done with the test, Delete (or rename) your new Moviestorm folder, and rename the old one back to Moviestorm, to use your existing settings again.
I would be interested in seeing the log.txt from running moviestorm 1.5.4 when it is unable to use props. Make sure it is the one that is created in the Moviestorm user folder that is currently in use.
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#27 keithlawrence

keithlawrence

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1143 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 04:30 PM

QUOTE (Ben_S @ Sep 2 2013, 1:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This last bit worries me; the file is a zip to start with; if you have to rename it, then you might not have the right thing. Check that it is 36,648,145 bytes.

Strange. I only get 35,790kB. And still without the .zip (but with the icon of a zip) If I click it (wich I don`t), it want to be unpacked in Stuffit.
QUOTE (Ben_S @ Sep 2 2013, 1:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And if it is still not working, provide me with a boot.log after trying to install the patch zip.

Attached File  boot_win.properties   900bytes   0 downloads

I only use the core with moddersworkshop on my xp and no extra packs or mods. So therfore I have autodownload at :No. Might that be a problem?

#28 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 04:40 PM

QUOTE (keithlawrence @ Sep 2 2013, 4:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Strange. I only get 35,790kB.

1kb is 1024 bytes; when comparing exact file sizes in windows, it is generally preferable to check by right clicking on the file and selecting 'Properties'.

And still without the .zip (but with the icon of a zip) If I click it (wich I don`t), it want to be unpacked in Stuffit.

You do not appear to have changed the (truly horrible) default in windows explorer that hides the extensions of known file types. First thing to do when I get any new computer, imo.
In Windows Explorer, Hold alt so that menus appear, and on Tools->Folder Options on the View tab, untick 'Hide Extensions for known file types'.
I do not know why they persist in this as a default; makes it easier to make virus that people actually run, because they just look at an icon for a file, rather than the actual type; it is possible to make an executable file type that has the icon for an image, as an example.

Attached File  boot_win.properties   900bytes   0 downloads

I only use the core with moddersworkshop on my xp and no extra packs or mods. So therfore I have autodownload at :No. Might that be a problem?

boot_win.properties is not boot.log, which would be found in your user Moviestorm folder, rather than in your installation of Moviestorm.
boot.log is created in the Moviestorm user folder. It is emptied each time you run Moviestorm, so please reproduce the problem first. It's in:
Vista, Win7, Win8, Macs: Users/[Username]/Moviestorm
WinXP: C:/Documents and Settings/[Username]/Moviestorm
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#29 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5153 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 08:04 PM

QUOTE (Ben_S @ Sep 2 2013, 11:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There is no 'patch' that will automatically install on 1.5.4, though.

Thanks Ben, it might have been installing Office 2007 that broke it somehow. wink.gif

#30 sosberg

sosberg

Master Director

• Members
  • 307 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 04:29 AM

Sound like some great improvements! Thanks Ben biggrin.gif
I would like to see us get this place right first before we have the arrogance to put significantly flawed civilizations out onto other planets, even though they may be utterly uninhabited.
--PATRICK STEWART--

#31 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 11:29 AM

I've added (to the original post) and updated version of the beta download, that fixes a couple of issues already spotted by people.
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#32 mystery_egypt

mystery_egypt

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 926 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 04:12 PM

Thank you Ben!

Question:
Those who have already the first beta version, can they just download the new .zip file and follow the instructions, or would a re-install of MS be required first?

#33 daleh

daleh

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 810 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 05:20 PM

QUOTE (mystery_egypt @ Sep 3 2013, 4:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thank you Ben!

Question:
Those who have already the first beta version, can they just download the new .zip file and follow the instructions, or would a re-install of MS be required first?

I just did it from the 1.6.0 i had been using, logged out of it, selected log in, chose install license and picked the new version zip.

When i logged back in properly it was the new 1.6.0 version

#34 mystery_egypt

mystery_egypt

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 926 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 05:33 PM

QUOTE (daleh @ Sep 3 2013, 7:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When i logged back in properly it was the new 1.6.0 version

Thank you daleh! smile.gif

#35 keithlawrence

keithlawrence

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1143 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 05:52 PM

QUOTE (Ben_S @ Sep 2 2013, 6:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
1kb is 1024 bytes; when comparing exact file sizes in windows, it is generally preferable to check by right clicking on the file and selecting 'Properties'.

Yes, this is in order. Also with the new updated file, but no change. It will not install
You do not appear to have changed the (truly horrible) default in windows explorer that hides the extensions of known file types.

Thanks. That is done and it`s now shown as a .zip file

boot_win.properties is not boot.log

Uuups.
Attached File  boot.log   19.02KB   2 downloads

I`ve also changed it to "autodownload: Yes" so everything is installed, but no change

I have no problem using MS

#36 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:04 PM

QUOTE (keithlawrence @ Sep 3 2013, 5:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, this is in order. Also with the new updated file, but no change. It will not install

Thanks. That is done and it`s now shown as a .zip file

Uuups.
Attached File  boot.log   19.02KB   2 downloads

I`ve also changed it to "autodownload: Yes" so everything is installed, but no change

I have no problem using MS

It seems to be failing when trying to unpack the changes to the TalkShow addon. Do you have that installed?

You could possible edit the patch by opening it in a zip program and deleting the stuff in AddOn/TalkShow that is in the patch, then installing it.

Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#37 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5153 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:54 AM

The align to walls doesn't work exactly as I expected. The prop only seems to align after it has been forced off the ground and you have to use the gizmo to drag it back down to the floor?

#38 mystery_egypt

mystery_egypt

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 926 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:13 AM

First I was thinking that the align with walls referred to the height on the vertical axis.
But after some testing with this option on and off, I'm under the impression that it refers to the rotation.
E.g. if you have it OFF, you can rotate an object, and then when you reposition it by shift+drag, its rotation remains the same. When you have this option ON, the rotation is undone when repositioning the object.

I think it would be good to have a definition from staff what "align with walls" is supposed to do.

#39 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 12:55 PM

Align to walls turns on (or off) the behaviour that results in a prop being rotated around so that it's back face is aligned to the direction of the wall.

Some props (eg Chair_Antique_Armchair_Red in Base) have a flag set in their Descriptor ("AttachFloor"=true) that results in them not riding up the wall as you drag them against the wall. Holding down Alt after one has started dragging such an object lets one place it up against the wall.
I'm wondering if we need a similar button that lets anything behave like this?

At one stage we had item specific flags (no longer used)
Stackable (did this object get put on top of things when being shift/dragged around)
StackableOn (did stackable items get put on top of this when being shift/dragged around)
Now everything is stackable except nav meshes, and everything is stackable on. If you do not like how something is stacking on something else, hold down Alt to toggle whether it stacks or not.

Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#40 mystery_egypt

mystery_egypt

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 926 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 01:21 PM

Thanks for the clarification, Ben! smile.gif

Ha, now I've learned something new about placing chairs and beds on the wall using the ALT tab additionally!