66 replies to this topic

#1 flashman

flashman

Novice director

• Staff
  • 73 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 04:11 PM

Hello all,

Last week, one of our newer hosted servers died from old age, and we were forced to urgently resurrect it whilst the site was down. We had been anticipating this issue for next year, so it was an unwelcome (if partially anticipated) occurrence, and has left us in need or reviewing our other aged servers, and looking to how, or whether we want to continue to support them all and the services they fulfill.

Since Moviestorm launched, we have provided a hosting service for your movies. Back when we started, YouTube was in its infancy and video on the internet was a novelty. Nowadays YouTube (and other sites such as Vimeo) do a far better job of hosting videos than we can, and the server hosting our videos is reaching its end of life and requiring progressively more maintenance. We are therefore retiring our video hosting service. It will be shutdown at the beginning of 2014, but if it dies before then due to its aging hardware we will not resurrect it. Until then, we would like to recommend that you download any movies that you have uploaded that you want to keep, if you do not have local copies of them already. It would be great if you could also point us at where they reside elsewhere using our 'Now Showing' forum, as we still want to see them all, and promote them as featured movies to our existing and new users.

If you have any concerns about this, please do not hesitate to contact me directly. Thank you for your support.

Best,
Andrew
andrewkennedy@moviestorm.net
Andrew Kennedy
MD, Moviestorm Ltd.

#2 Ichikaidan

Ichikaidan

Critically acclaimed

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 05:43 PM

Dear Andrew

Your anouncement on the forum sounded like a death bell. Omg. Where can a fledgling animator go now.
A small but generally kind group of helpful users and now you only keep the forum.
Well without the Movie Hosting Service it wont be what it was, no.
One of the reasons as a full member, i chose Moviestorm, is the movie hosting service and the forums of course.
Now lately, the latter is also down more times a week as the former and i had to wait 5 minutes (no exagg) to load this forum page.
That all things at moviestorm's don't smell of roses is clear. It's a bad thing hardware croaks but if you do not seem to have funds to continue the service is definitely more worse. Your base narrows instead of you to be able to appeal more broadly, instead of delegating the moviemakers to the Swamp-tube sites.
Oh dear, this is really bad news.
I sure hope Moviestorm won't go belly up.
Well, good luck and i hope your job ain't on the line as well.
aka Ichikaidan .
Creating situations and learning to see.

#3 kkffoo

kkffoo

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 3269 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 06:24 PM

I'm sorry to hear this. While it might be a logical choice it's not easy to hear.

#4 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5237 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 07:10 PM

QUOTE (flashman @ Oct 2 2013, 4:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Until then, we would like to recommend that you download any movies that you have uploaded that you want to keep, if you do not have local copies of them already.

I am unable to access the Movies section to download my movies. The site has been down for 24 hours or so.

"If we only use 1/3 of our brain, what's the other 1/3 for?"

#5 Harb40

Harb40

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 651 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 07:42 PM

QUOTE (Ichikaidan @ Oct 1 2013, 11:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dear Andrew

Your anouncement on the forum sounded like a death bell. Omg. Where can a fledgling animator go now.

Ichikaidan, I share your feelings about the announcement and what it means to the Moviestorm community. There are many helpful people here and it does promote the feeling of belonging.

With that said, there are more options than just YouTube and Vimeo. Both sites are good but not very machinima friendly as far as support. There is another option for uploading films. Check out the thread I made here. This is not to draw people away from the MS site or forums but to give them another option that is machinima and animation friendly.
The Harb40 Passion Competition now has it's own website.

#6 Harb40

Harb40

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 651 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 07:43 PM

QUOTE (primaveranz @ Oct 1 2013, 1:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am unable to access the Movies section to download my movies. The site has been down for 24 hours or so.

Actually for over 48 hours now.

#7 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5237 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 11:35 PM

I can understand the constraints that have led to this situation but rather than just turning off that functionality it would be good if the site could be redesigned to make it as seamless as possible to view movies made with Moviestorm wherever they might be hosted.

If you lose that easy association these forums will slowly die.

#8 Daveman

Daveman

Critically acclaimed

• Members
  • 197 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 11:46 PM

For those who opt for YouTube or Vimo, etc., do you have a contingency for adding those videos to Moviestorm's start interface? Or will that part be phased out as well. (did I make any sense?)

Since I am guessing I know the answer to that - instead of changing the start up interface - maybe host Tutorials and have them rotate. Or host a 14 top voted Movies, or 7 tutorials and 7 movies.., the movies - to be updated every 3 to 6 months, based on votes?

Just tossing around options for consideration. While I like the idea of the tutorials being on the interface - I also like to see new movies pop up to check out now and then. Surely there is room for small compromise some how. At any rate I understand about the aging servers.

To be honest - some of my future short movies I would rather NOT post on YouTube or Vimeo or anywhere else but here. Sure I am not getting overwhelming views., but I think its a perk for Moviestorm users to have their wares hosted here.

~ Dave

#9 Harb40

Harb40

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 651 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:24 AM

QUOTE (Daveman @ Oct 1 2013, 5:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
To be honest - some of my future short movies I would rather NOT post on YouTube or Vimeo or anywhere else but here. Sure I am not getting overwhelming views., but I think its a perk for Moviestorm users to have their wares hosted here.

~ Dave

That is understandable Dave. YouTube an Vimeo are not as machinima/animation friendly as some other sites. Since this site is strictly Moviestorm, of course you will have only those involved with Moviestorm viewing and commenting.

But, the other option I posted about above can be of great help to you since there are also Moviestorm users there as well. Plus, getting help from iClone, Daz and other users may give you a different prospective.

Just putting that out there for you.

#10 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 01:00 AM

I am sorry to hear this because the movies draw a lot of people to Moviestorm. Sunday to Monday this week,I had 300 views for my videos here. That was within 24 hours so the movie viewing is going up. I will use VEOH though instead of You Tube because I don't care for You Tube at all anymore. Unless of course Moviestorm has a place on You Tube where we can upload our movies and they will be part of Moviestorm. However, I think VEOH would be a great place for Moviestorm to start a section for our movies.

#11 flashman

flashman

Novice director

• Staff
  • 73 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 09:54 AM

QUOTE (Ichikaidan @ Oct 1 2013, 5:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dear Andrew

A small but generally kind group of helpful users and now you only keep the forum.
Well without the Movie Hosting Service it wont be what it was, no.
One of the reasons as a full member, i chose Moviestorm, is the movie hosting service and the forums of course.
Now lately, the latter is also down more times a week as the former and i had to wait 5 minutes (no exagg) to load this forum page.
That all things at moviestorm's don't smell of roses is clear. It's a bad thing hardware croaks but if you do not seem to have funds to continue the service is definitely more worse. Your base narrows instead of you to be able to appeal more broadly, instead of delegating the moviemakers to the Swamp-tube sites.
Oh dear, this is really bad news.
I sure hope Moviestorm won't go belly up.
Well, good luck and i hope your job ain't on the line as well.
aka Ichikaidan .

Hello Ichikaidan,

It is not a financial decision, it is a technical one, and a practical one.
Due to the many people that have had a hand in integrating the various websites we have had over the years, under various stewardships, Dave is not confident he will easily be able to unpick the and successfully rebuild the server. So, until such a time that we are able to do that, and not wanting any of our users to lose their movies, it makes sense to ask you to backup your movies and use alternative video hosting solutions. Time is of the essence to warn you all and get you to backup your movies - the servers seem to be reaching expiry as predictably as a pint of milk ...meanwhile my SNES just keeps working.
I wish it could be otherwise at this time, but please be assured, we are going nowhere.

Thanks again for your support,
Andrew
Andrew Kennedy
MD, Moviestorm Ltd.

#12 flashman

flashman

Novice director

• Staff
  • 73 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 10:05 AM

QUOTE (Daveman @ Oct 1 2013, 11:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For those who opt for YouTube or Vimo, etc., do you have a contingency for adding those videos to Moviestorm's start interface? Or will that part be phased out as well. (did I make any sense?)

Since I am guessing I know the answer to that - instead of changing the start up interface - maybe host Tutorials and have them rotate. Or host a 14 top voted Movies, or 7 tutorials and 7 movies.., the movies - to be updated every 3 to 6 months, based on votes?

Just tossing around options for consideration. While I like the idea of the tutorials being on the interface - I also like to see new movies pop up to check out now and then. Surely there is room for small compromise some how. At any rate I understand about the aging servers.

~ Dave

I like the idea of putting the tutorials in the Start screen, especially if they could all sit there in a carousel.
Personally, I have not watched a movie via that interface, so it is interesting that some do. We will need to consider the impact of losing the movie server across many areas, not least the amount of embedded movies strewn around the website. Thanks for your pro-active ideas.
Andrew Kennedy
MD, Moviestorm Ltd.

#13 Ichikaidan

Ichikaidan

Critically acclaimed

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 10:16 AM

QUOTE (flashman @ Oct 2 2013, 9:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wish it could be otherwise at this time, but please be assured, we are going nowhere.

Andrew,
Thank you for your explanation, but to me and many other users it is a very sad thing to see happen.
I like the focus on animation and that will be missed although there are other islands too.
A great pity that in 2014 all content will be gone.
I trust the development of the program itself will continue.
Best wishes
Creating situations and learning to see.

#14 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 01:21 PM

Is there something we could do to help you out like donate money so you could buy a new server or a larger hard drive? I can't donate a lot of money but I could donate some and I am sure others here could donate money to help you out.

#15 flashman

flashman

Novice director

• Staff
  • 73 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 01:31 PM

QUOTE (lucindamc123 @ Oct 2 2013, 1:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is there something we could do to help you out like donate money so you could buy a new server or a larger hard drive? I can't donate a lot of money but I could donate some and I am sure others here could donate money to help you out.

Thank you. that is very generous Lucinda, but as I said, it is not a financial issue specifically, it is more technical problem we are facing, and a practical decision that we have to take at this time.
You already do loads to support us, and we are constantly grateful - Thank you again.

Andrew
Andrew Kennedy
MD, Moviestorm Ltd.

#16 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 01:37 PM

QUOTE (flashman @ Oct 2 2013, 7:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thank you. that is very generous Lucinda, but as I said, it is not a financial issue specifically, it is more technical problem we are facing, and a practical decision that we have to take at this time.
You already do loads to support us, and we are constantly grateful - Thank you again.

Andrew

So is it a problem with the site you use to host the Moviestorm site? You know how much Moviestorm means to me and I will do anything I can do to help you out.

Have you thought of using the Google hosting site? It looks really good. I don't know how much it costs to use it but the Google drive takes items that are really large.

https://cloud.google...CFUlp7AodOFQA7w

#17 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5237 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 08:04 PM

QUOTE (flashman @ Oct 2 2013, 9:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
it makes sense to ask you to backup your movies and use alternative video hosting solutions.

I am unable to download some of my clips. It seems like this has something to do with the original format they were loaded in. I have tried three different browsers to no avail.

E.g. this clip will not download:-
http://www.moviestor...p;vid_id=104544

#18 mystery_egypt

mystery_egypt

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 926 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 08:33 PM

QUOTE (primaveranz @ Oct 2 2013, 10:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am unable to download some of my clips. It seems like this has something to do with the original format they were loaded in. I have tried three different browsers to no avail.

E.g. this clip will not download:-
http://www.moviestor...p;vid_id=104544

Hmmm, I had no difficulties to download your video mentioned above with Firefox (didn't try other browsers), it came as .mp4 video. blink.gif
Not sure how I can help you - what happens if you click on download?
For me, a small player screen showed up, which I could right click and choose to save the video.

#19 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5237 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 09:11 PM

QUOTE (mystery_egypt @ Oct 3 2013, 8:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not sure how I can help you - what happens if you click on download?
For me, a small player screen showed up, which I could right click and choose to save the video.

Nothing happens at all, most of the other videos do exactly as you say but I have been trying for 2 days to download that one. Maybe it offends NZ censorship laws wink.gif

But it is not a problem now as Harb is sending me a copy, thanks.

#20 mystery_egypt

mystery_egypt

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 926 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 09:25 PM

Okay then smile.gif

(maybe your computer is scared of the Tyrannosaurus though wink.gif)