• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 petertn

petertn

Moviegoer

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 02:23 AM

Hi. Is there a way that I can set (adjust and move) a camera position from an objective overhead view instead of the subjective (through the lens) camera view? Regards, peter

#2 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5365 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 09:34 AM

Try this. Put a cube on the stage. In Camera view, click on the top of the cube to show the orange "gun sight". Hold down the right mouse button and drag towards you until you have the aerial shot. Does that help?

"If we only use 1/3 of our brain, what's the other 1/3 for?"

#3 petertn

petertn

Moviegoer

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 09:44 AM

Thank you primaveranz for your reply. 

My question is whether I can position a camera from outside the Camera View frame. If I could, this would enable me to see the stage and the camera as i can in the Director's View - but with the ability to move the camera. Two instances when I could use this ability would be to position a camera evenly in the middle of two objects or to position a camera up against an object.

Regards, peter

#4 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5365 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 06:40 PM

No I'm afraid you can't do it outside of the camera view.

#5 petertn

petertn

Moviegoer

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 01:23 AM

Thank you primaveranz for confirming. regards peter 

#6 jamoram62

jamoram62

Master Director

• Members
  • 874 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 06:14 PM

My question is whether I can position a camera from outside the Camera View frame. If I could, this would enable me to see the stage and the camera as i can in the Director's View - but with the ability to move the camera.

Many a time I've missed such a convenient feature.

Just another entry in my wishlist...

ars longa vita brevis - Hippocrates (attributed)

If you want to tell jokes then use Muvizu; if you want to make 'Movies', use iClone; but if you want to tell stories, use Moviestorm - PrimaveraNZ

Shared addons & stuff for Moviestorm: https://drive.google...aTNsSFBuN0sxZHM

#7 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5365 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 05:38 AM

As to positioning evenly between two objects, can't you just place a prop (invisible or temporary) on the set in the correct position (using the grid) and, in camera view, centre that prop in the camera?

The question about placing a camera "against an object" confuses me. What exactly are you trying to do?

#8 jamoram62

jamoram62

Master Director

• Members
  • 874 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 02:35 PM

As to positioning evenly between two objects, can't you just place a prop (invisible or temporary) on the set in the correct position (using the grid) and, in camera view, centre that prop in the camera?

Beg your pardon if I've misunderstood you, but I'd say you actually can do that: in this demo clip I've placed a street lamp just in the middle point between Gloria and Vincent and used it as the target for the camera throughout all the duration of the shot, and finally hid it at the start of the timeline: https://drive.google...ejJyZjVKTHlOVUU

EDIT: sorry, my fault: I did actually misundertand you.

ars longa vita brevis - Hippocrates (attributed)

If you want to tell jokes then use Muvizu; if you want to make 'Movies', use iClone; but if you want to tell stories, use Moviestorm - PrimaveraNZ

Shared addons & stuff for Moviestorm: https://drive.google...aTNsSFBuN0sxZHM

#9 petertn

petertn

Moviegoer

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 02:04 PM

Apologies for my late reply.

Here is an example where I am trying to place the lens of the camera as close to the opening in the left side wall. In the Director's View (As per attached screen grab) I can see the distance from the wall opening that I need to move the camera. The arrow shows the exact point where I would like the lens to be. My only option (if I am not mistaken) is to return to CameraWork View to move the camera. Because I am limited to the frame view only, I am unable to move the camera to the precise point.

Regards, peter

Attached Files

#10 petertn

petertn

Moviegoer

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 02:12 PM

Here is the attachment... (from pervious post)