17 replies to this topic

#1 Harb40

Harb40

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 662 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 11:36 PM

I propose this agreement of community standards of conduct:

We, as members of the Moviestorm community, do hereby agree to abide by the following standards of conduct while participating on either a forum discussion or viewing a members movie page.

Article 1 -- I hereby swear to conduct myself in a manner befitting a person of good character and in good standing within the community. I will refrain from any form of personal attack on another member of the community or staff that is visible to all members (PM's are to be used for anything that needs to be discussed in private).

Article 2 -- I hereby agree to leave an honest opinion of a persons talent and offer advice on how to achieve a better film through constructive criticism and helpful advice. This means that if I see a mistake or flaw either in the way a post is worded or the way a film is made, I will not only bring attention to the mistake but offer a way in which to correct it (i.e. instead of letting the camera pan around in a wild manner, use a camera cut or use a static camera to achieve a better cinematic experience, etc.)

Article 3 -- I agree that I will not rate my own work and when rating another members work, I will be completely honest and not 5 star the movie just to encourage them. A 3 star rating means the film is of normal, average quality and is something to be proud of. 4 and 5 stars should only be used when a movie or tech demo is something of extraordinary effort. When I leave a star rating of a movie, I will also leave a comment as to what I liked and what I thought could use improvement. This especially goes for 1 and 2 star ratings. I understand that by doing this, it will be more effective in helping the member become a better film maker and understand the film making process better. In addition, if I do not like the movie at all or it is something that just is not worth attention, I will refrain from comment.

Article 4 -- I agree to limit promotion of my own abilities and achievements. I will not make it known to every new member that I have done something of merit. I understand that in a short amount of time, new members will be able to see what I have achieved. This includes awards from film festivals, contests and competitions, IMDb listings and from Moviestorm itself. Mentioning an achievement by posting a new thread or replying to an achievement thread would be considered the proper thing to do instead of continual self-promotion. I also agree to abide by the community guidelines and limit my signature to a maximum of 3 lines.

Article 5 -- I agree that as a member of this community, I will hold myself to the above standards at all times and if I stray, I understand I am subject to possible disciplinary action from the Moviestorm staff up to and including banning. It is to be understood that an occasional (once or twice a year) slip up can be overlooked and that a ban from the staff is only to be used as a final option. Repeated offenses should be directed to the Moviestorm staff (forum moderators) with a detailed explanation of the offense by way of the PM feature. This should not be abused and should only be used for serious repeat offensives.

By posting an agreement statement in this thread, you will be held to these standards by the other members of the community and by the staff of Moviestorm.

Additions and clarifications to the above standards are welcome for discussion.
The Harb40 Passion Competition now has it's own website.

#2 Harb40

Harb40

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 662 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 11:36 PM

I hereby agree to abide by the standards listed above.

#3 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 11:41 PM

Oh this is your idea! I understand but I do not agree. If someone has one starred ones movie, in order to move the stars up sometimes you have to five star it yourself, otherwise people may not watch your movie. I only do this when someone has one starred a movie of mine which is rare except for a couple of people here. If I can't give someone a 5 star rating, then I don't rate the movie at all.

#4 rampa

rampa

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1220 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 11:52 PM

Technically, two and ahalf stars is a good movie. 3 is above average, but can still use some improvement. Often one star gets used as a "this is terrible", when indeed one star is making an effort with the software. A comment by itself as to why something is terrible would be more appropriate. Basically, star ratings need to not be weighted towards awesome. If I only received awesome ratings, It would be a slower process to better myself.

I like these terms, so hold me them as well.

#5 Harb40

Harb40

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 662 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 12:06 AM

Lucinda, no, this was not my idea. I did take an idea that was floated out there by someone I have a lot of repsect for and tried to put the idea out there for people to debate and hopefully accept.

As far as rating ones own films, all that is is stoking ones own ego and is basically morally wrong. I would rather see 50 3 stars with comments both positive and negative than 10 5 stars with all the comments saying 'great film'.

#6 vphilly

vphilly

Director

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 12:11 AM

QUOTE (lucindamc123 @ May 27 2013, 6:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh this is your idea! I understand but I do not agree. If someone has one starred ones movie, in order to move the stars up sometimes you have to five star it yourself, otherwise people may not watch your movie. I only do this when someone has one starred a movie of mine which is rare except for a couple of people here. If I can't give someone a 5 star rating, then I don't rate the movie at all.

The whole point of Harb's proposal is that people will be *honest* in their ratings. If a person gets a one or two star rating, it would be a sign that there are major flaws in their film. Nothing more. That person could then seek advice in the forums on how to improve their technique. As for starring yourself, doesn't it occur to you that if someone sees that you've given yourself a 5 star rating, they'll think you're being dishonest and egotistical? Do you really think that 5 starring yourself gives you credibility? Quite the opposite. I actually think MS should do away with the star rating system altogether. At the very least, they should prevent people from giving themselves a star rating at all.
"Early to bed and early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise." -some dead guy.

My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.c...ser/pixel62Warp

#7 vphilly

vphilly

Director

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 12:13 AM

QUOTE (rampa @ May 27 2013, 6:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If I only received awesome ratings, It would be a slower process to better myself.

Exactly.
"Early to bed and early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise." -some dead guy.

#8 iceaxe

iceaxe

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1193 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 10:01 AM

How about simplifying it bit;

I agree to follow the normal conventions of etiquette by:

1. Accepting ratings on my movies without aggressive response if I don't agree with the ratings, with the proviso that the person rating my movie has given a specific explanation for the rating.

2. Providing a specific explanation to support any rating I give to a movie.

3. Not rating my own movies.

4. Welcoming new participants to these forums without overtly promoting my movies, achievements, possessions, or industry connections, whether real or imaginary.

5. Not attempting to represent the views of Moviestorm or Moviestorm staff, or claiming to have some privileged insight into the workings of the company.

One thing that I do know is that etiquette is a set of social "rules" which can vary between cultures. For example, I was always taught not to speak while I had food in my mouth - but I can well imagine that in some cultures it doesn't matter. Therefore, it is very helpful to formally set out what we collectively believe to be the "proper" way to behave so that everyone can have a common view.

Of course, even with this guidance people will step out of line whether intentionally or accidentally, and as we know Moviestorm has precious little resources to police everything that goes on here. So, I suggest we become self-regulating; if a quorum of 5 Pioneers agree that someone has stepped out of line, then a caution can be given to the offender. I don't propose that Pioneers have the authority to remove people from the forums - that responsibility sits with the moderators, but if 5 pioneers tell me I'm in the wrong then I'm happy to accept that judgement.

What do you think?

#9 kkffoo

kkffoo

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 3282 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 11:49 AM

I like the simplified version better. We could do a certain amount of policing using the community moderators?

#10 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5351 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 12:35 PM

Maybe we need a vote then, and if enough of us (especially the pioneers) agree, we can put it to Ben that these rules should be enforceable by the moderators.

"If we only use 1/3 of our brain, what's the other 1/3 for?"

#11 Harb40

Harb40

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 662 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 04:08 PM

I do like the simplified version. My post was an attempt to set some form of standard and I did add that they were open to debate.

Sometimes less is more and the version Iceaxe has laid out suits me fine.

#12 Xolotl

Xolotl

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 429 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 05:53 PM

QUOTE (iceaxe @ May 28 2013, 10:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How about simplifying it bit;

I agree to follow the normal conventions of etiquette by:

1. Accepting ratings on my movies without aggressive response if I don't agree with the ratings, with the proviso that the person rating my movie has given a specific explanation for the rating.

2. Providing a specific explanation to support any rating I give to a movie.

3. Not rating my own movies.

4. Welcoming new participants to these forums without overtly promoting my movies, achievements, possessions, or industry connections, whether real or imaginary.

5. Not attempting to represent the views of Moviestorm or Moviestorm staff, or claiming to have some privileged insight into the workings of the company.

... but if 5 pioneers tell me I'm in the wrong then I'm happy to accept that judgement.

What do you think?

This is Xtremely acceptable. I think five people telling me that I was out of line, is being really fair. I can't imagine arguing for days with that many members. I mean, it IS a forum. I think this is great, Harb and Ice.

#13 mystery_egypt

mystery_egypt

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 926 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:30 PM

I haven't posted anything in the newly created different "debate threads" because I didn't see the point of posting (at least for me) the same thing over and over, while knowing that everyone will just keep their point of view very firmly. So I have decided to not waste my energy and little time for discussions leading to nowhere really.

But the following statement "hurt" too much to remain silent.

QUOTE (lucindamc123 @ May 28 2013, 1:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If someone has one starred ones movie, in order to move the stars up sometimes you have to five star it yourself, otherwise people may not watch your movie. I only do this when someone has one starred a movie of mine which is rare except for a couple of people here.

I don't see any 1-star rating on this movie, but rather a 5-star rating...

Anyhow, I'm back to enjoying my evening with creative movie making after a long day of work. Just had to get that off my chest.

Have a nice day/evening, and I look forward to new movies, mods and ideas biggrin.gif

#14 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:53 PM

That is because after I noticed getting a few one stars from some people here, I locked the ability for anyone to give stars on my movies, so I posted a five star on this one because at the time, it didn't have any stars. Then David watched it and I removed the star lock and he posted a five star on the movie. And then I locked it again.

#15 iceaxe

iceaxe

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1193 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:02 PM

Well I think we've all pretty much agreed that 5 starring your own movie can be considered bad manners. Perhaps you didn't realise this before, but the debate appears to have reached a point where we can all agree this.

#16 rampa

rampa

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1220 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 10:52 PM

Come to think of it, any rating of one's own movie is a bit odd. I don't think it's appropriate to rate oneself with any number of stars. The reason for the stars is for OTHER people to communicate ratings. I think we all rate our own work internally, so starring our own movies makes no since.

Rather than relying on false ratings to get people to watch your movies, I would recommend being truthful, humble, non-defensive, and non-dismissive of others in presenting them.

#17 vphilly

vphilly

Director

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 12:19 AM

I agree with the guidelines and will abide by them.

As for starring my own movies, I would never do it as I consider it to be a selfish and dishonest thing to do, no matter the reason given.

#18 quasimodder

quasimodder

Director

• Pioneers
  • 136 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 07:28 AM

QUOTE (lucindamc123 @ May 28 2013, 3:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That is because after I noticed getting a few one stars from some people here, I locked the ability for anyone to give stars on my movies, so I posted a five star on this one because at the time, it didn't have any stars. Then David watched it and I removed the star lock and he posted a five star on the movie. And then I locked it again.

Oi Lucindna my am being the disappoint in this the being doing sad.gif
Quasimodder sad.gif